my jetta tdi won't move in gear

11TDIJET

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I took my 2011 Jetta Tdi to Sears for 4 new snow tires. After driving approximately 15 miles at a cruising speed of 55mph I noticed the rpms reving up and down. When I came to a complete stop and put my vehicle into first gear it wouldn't move. The engine revs, but the vehicle doesn't move. The clutch isn't stuck and I have no issues changing gears. Can someone please help? I hope it wasn't Sears that f'd my car up!

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Sounds like clutch used up to me, too.

And for what it is worth, it is unlikely Sears did this to your car. Clutches are a wear item, although they usually take a while to wear out.

Last edited:

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
That's awfully fast for a clutch to wear out. Who has been driving this car, and what are their shifting practices?

Out of curiosity, is a clutch covered under a new car warranty?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
complete clutch failure, such that the car won't move at all? I'd wonder if there was a problem with the diff or driveshaft splines...

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I've seen it a dozen times.
Owner: "Robby, my car won't move"
Me: "who did you loan your car too?"
Then they tell me who they loaned the car to. Mother, son-in-law, etc.

Chances are the kid at sears doesn't know how to drive a manual. He pulled the car in, positioned it over the lift and then pulled it out. It's not like you have to cover a minimum total distance while you're smoking someone else's clutch.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
Speaking of not knowing how to drive manual....

I drove into a WalMart in Urbane, IL several years ago, to have my tires done. I watched the mechanic walk up to my car to move it into the garage so the wheels could be removed. It took him quite a few minutes to travel 25m because he stalled the car every 2 seconds.

I asked, "Hey, need some help?" to which he replied, "You can't put it on the lift for liability reasons."

Now here's where the story gets better...

Finally he got it onto the lift, he came back up to me and said, "Hey, you need to loosen your lug bolts for us for liability reasons." I shook my head and say, "Do you want me to change out the tires too???" He said, "No, but you can put the wheels over by the bench when you're done loosening the bolts."

Once he was done putting the new rubber on, he comes back and I said, "Let me guess, back on the car?" He nodded his head while I shook mine.

Needless to say, I asked for a discount, and he said, "The price on the tires are already discounted. This is Walmart."

Shook my head again, paid for the tires, and drove back to the hotel. Later that night, my turbo seized and I had to drive back home to Canada in limp mode wondering for the next 18 hours what you Americans have done to poor l'country Walmart that they're so afraid of liability.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
No, that's what you get when you're foolish enough to go to Walmart for auto related anything. Walmart has a deservedly poor reputation for hiring the worst people available in the marketplace. They even educate employees on how to apply for welfare benefits, because they know they won't pay a wage you can survive on.

Just let the experience teach you to remember never to shop there for service.