HPFP Failure, system replaced - follow up problems

pjschaff

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Sorry for the long post, but here goes: I have a 2011 Jetta TDI that I've had nothing but trouble with. It ran great for the first 60k, then left me stranded on a road trip, flashing glow plug light and stalling out. Long story short, HPFP failure, replaced by the local dealership covered by VWOA. I picked up the car a week later, drove it 3 hours home and drove it for 3 days before the same thing happened again. Towed it to my dealership, replaced entire fuel system again, my dealership blamed the other one saying they didn't remove all the contaminants causing another HPFP failure and promised it was 100% again. I drove it for another 2 weeks before it occurred again. This time they blamed it on a retention valve improperly installed, fixed it and promised me it was 100% again, again. I drove it for another 5k miles, 2 months with no issues until this week. The battery has been getting weaker and after listening to my radio for 20 minutes yesterday, I had to jump start it. It fired right up, but the power sunroof wouldn't open, and the automatic window down and up thing didn't work. They would roll up and down, but just not with one click, I had to hold the button down. I made it about 2 miles down the road when the glow plug light started flashing, followed by limp mode. I rerouted towards my dealership, made it another 2 miles before it completely stalled out. I had it towed, but my dealership won't be open until tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas about this? Is all this still related to the fuel system issue or something else entirely?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Are you getting your fuel at the same place over these incidents?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Mostly, I alternate between 3 different stations. I've not noticed a pattern though.
Did any of the diagnoses conclude that sub-standard fuel was the root cause of the failure?

To answer your original question: the fuel system is effectively isolated from other systems. It seems that you may have run into a perfect storm of a weak pump design, questionable fuel and sub-standard repair practices.

If you haven't already done so, please record your failures on this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

Did you need to pay for any of the repairs or did VW cover you?

pjschaff

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
No, neither dealership or VWoA mentioned fuel, they all blamed the HPFP. And so far, VWoA has covered everything. I'm worried about this new development though, is that related too, or something completely different?

Also, I just realized this is probably in the wrong section. My apologies - please feel free to move it if needed

Last edited: