www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old January 24th, 2012, 21:23   #46
airstreamer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz1111 View Post
http://appalachianteardrop.com

These regularly make the festival circuit here in WNC....they are a sweet, compact way to camp.....1475 lbs. The awning in the back covers a trunk door that opens into a kitchen and work space.
whoa, those are SWEET!
Old January 27th, 2012, 20:35   #47
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

As someone who tows regularly (weekly) with a small (now mid size) car, I can tell you that the armchair speculation NEVER ends. Don't try to debate it using your FACTS and EXPERIENCE. Nothing trumps a bucket full of "I betcha."

Just keep doing what you're doing. I can see that you are doing it safely, and CanAm has a reputation for putting safe tow rigs out on the roads. They are no strangers to diesel VWs.

The debates on the Subaru forums are endless. My Outback is rated to tow 2,700 pounds in the US and 3,960 pounds in Europe. Still, people say, "yeah, but I think you shouldn't tow more than 1,200 pounds... Anything more would be dangerous."
Still have 3 TDIs in the family fleet.
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:30   #48
jabbejokker

TDI(s): None, yet

Sorry, I had to dig this one up.
Our problem is that both VW and our Güberment think that we Americans are to stupid to grasp moderately complicated concepts. Add a major push for the manufacturers to sell lucrative SUV's, light trucks, CUV's and other Fischer-Price-like lardmobiles and the result is as such:
We do not get to option our cars like the Europeans do, We do not get to chose the engines we want, we are electronically fenced from our theoretical top speeds, and we do not get a tow ratings for our cars.
The 2.0 TDI (140) can tow 1500 KG with brakes and 680 without. That, for us stupid Americans, means: (~3300#/~1500#).
Also the non limited, theoretical top speed is KMH: 209/207(DSG) or MPH: 126/125(DSG)
Source:
http://www.volkswagen.dk/content/med....file/golf.pdf
Now don't forget to hook up the trailer to the blunt section of your car, with the red lights, where the luggage compartment is located. If you mistakenly hook it up to the end with the clear lights you won't be going very fast and you may experience an annoying whine as you proceed in reverse.
Rant over
jabbejokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 20:06   #49
ochoada
TDIClub Contributor

Hey Paul, I'm interested in your custom hitch setup. I'm assuming that Can Am did it as a part of your package....And I'm assuming It's a 2" receiver...Wondering if you have any pictures of the hitch, how much shows etc.

Thanks!
ochoada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:38   #50
VocalVirgo
Veteran Member

Default Me too: 2000 Golf TDI and a 16 foot Airstream

I was told by Airstream that their official book from VW said there is no towing capability on any VW's except Vanagon (spelling?) and Touregs. But in Europe, my same 13 year old car can tow the 16 foot Airstream, among others. It's almost like we've been brainwashed into thinking we have to have a truck to tow. Not true. But, I do think we should all be using electric brakes.
The 16 foot scamp weighs 1,000 pounds less than the Airstream and costs 1/3 of the price. But Still. For the 90% of the time we (us using them to tow our rigs) won't be towing.... It matters much less. But we have to drive much more carefully.

I'll let yo guys know which trailer I end up getting. Already saw the Airstream, still need to check out the Scamp...

Last edited by VocalVirgo; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:53. Reason: typo's, of course!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:07   #51
polaryj
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Fuel Economy: better then my 2500

hell yeah airstream! as a truck guy myself, i know lots of guys towing 30k lbs with a dodge truck, why not 4k with a golf!?!

the average bad driver in a car alone scares me more then a good driver towing 4k
polaryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:05   #52
PhotoWrite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaryj View Post
snip...
the average bad driver in a car alone scares me more then a good driver towing 4k
x10000000000000
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:48   #53
porshh

Fuel Economy: 38-42

Here is my brothers ALH with 2 beasts
porshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 00:04   #54
fabed23
Veteran Member

Airstreamer, I think thats awesome that you are hauling it around. I hopefully will be getting like a scamp, burro, some kind of 13 footer to haul around in my 2000 model. As you said, cautious driving is really what its all about..theres no rush and usually that means no problems.

Awesome. I cant wait to be on a roadtrip with the fam and have a camper behind me livin it! (and not paying for hotels!)
fabed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:28   #55
VocalVirgo
Veteran Member

Airstreamer, what hitch are you using? I can't find anything rated more than 200/2000. I'd really love to know because I'm holding off on buying a camper until I'm sure I can find a hitch good for 2,500 pounds.
Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2013, 18:51   #56
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Airstreamer, what hitch are you using? I can't find anything rated more than 200/2000. I'd really love to know because I'm holding off on buying a camper until I'm sure I can find a hitch good for 2,500 pounds.
Thanks!
Probably something similar to this one. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=550
Old February 15th, 2013, 18:59   #57
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I see your Airstream (I was looking at a Bambi first) and raise you an EggCamper.

My Golf has more power and bigger brakes than my dad's Chevy C10. Properly setup it has no trouble pulling AND stopping the trailer. It's more about the driver than the rig.

Happy (and safe) trails,

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 20:19   #58
VocalVirgo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I see your Airstream (I was looking at a Bambi first) and raise you an EggCamper.

My Golf has more power and bigger brakes than my dad's Chevy C10. Properly setup it has no trouble pulling AND stopping the trailer. It's more about the driver than the rig.

Happy (and safe) trails,

Jason
I see your Egg Camper and raise you the 16' Scamp I just bought today. I shalst post a picture when I pick it up in 6 weeks .
Old March 3rd, 2013, 17:56   #59
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01GolfTDi
Fuel Economy: 40 with lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmonster View Post
Wow, good luck with that! You are living dangerously, but worse putting others at risk too. If you have to swerve for an alligator in the road or a bunny rabbit/deer/dog/cat/armadillo/moose/etc, you will take up 2 lanes gathering control. The tail will wag the dog!

Poor car ;-(

Nice trailer though.

You should not swerve for most of those, exception of moose I'd say.
Seriously, swerve for a bunny?

You are putting everyone at risk around you if you swerve or slam on brakes for any animal. And often, you're better off plowing through the animal than possibly swerving in someone else's lane, or slamming on brakes.

I do not like the ignoring of towing capacity. It is there for a reason, and I don't care how peppy your car still is. Have you seen the commercial with the tundra towing the space shuttle? Okay, it can do it. Get up to 60 mph and slam on brakes. There's the issue.

Oh your trailer has brakes to? Cool, I'm rvsa/rvia certified, trailer brakes are not exactly reliable. (they aren't terrible either, I just never trust my vehicle if I have to rely on my tow vehicles brakes too.)

Good luck, safe travels. If you come through central Florida shoot me a PM. I will give you a discounted service from my mobile RV business.
ItAintRodKnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 16:18   #60
VocalVirgo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamer View Post
jsrmonster - i've actually gone in an empty parking to feel the swerving/swaying and it doesn't sway at all (sway bar helps with that) and it doesn't wag at all. have you ever tried - or are you based that on speculation alone (not being mean - just curious)? the trailer corrects as quickly as the car does, and it handles better than my nissan xterra, even with the trailer behind it. with the trailer brakes, the car stops quicker than without too.

i'd say risk to myself/others would be more based on driving poorly. the golf consistently wins "tow car of the year" in europe. in north america people are marketed to for big trucks, so they all believe that's all that can tow anything.

look back 50 years - cars barely had 100hp, big trucks with duelies weren't ever used, and towed much larger trailers consistently. canada/america are just sold "bigger is better for towing" by truck companies...

I know this is an older thread, but I have researched Airstreams for a while, and they do indeed handle extremely well. And yes, they also have excellent brakes.
I have the 90 H.P. TDI and it is also 1,000 lbs. In EU, my same car is 3,000 lbs. In the US, VW & all makers dumb down the tow capacity because of US laws (if they are actually higher).
Airstreamer: Totally jealous. I have to ask- is the wet bath OK for every day?