www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 22:08   #31
FredS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 00 NB-39, 01 Golf-41, 94 Toy-30

well let's see: panic stops and long downhill grades are some examples, melt the brakes on something that was never engineered to tow that much weight in the first place.
Driving around in a parking lot is not the same as 60mph down a highway and getting hit by a cross wind. Seriously, in the US, if you got pulled over, it wouldn't continue on the highway, and the fines would be insane.
Trucks towing heavy loads, are engineered for capacities. Sure, plenty of people overload, and bad things do and can happen. The drivelines and brakes on even light duty diesel trucks are over engineered for a reason.
03 GTI, 2012 Tiguan
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 22:27   #32
Jarrod B
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf View Post
Do you know the towing capacity of the car, or are we completely ignoring it?
whats towing capacity?

jkjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf View Post
Paul, completely ignoring all safety factors, I'll hope you'll give some thought to the load you're putting on the drivetrain of your new vehicle. You've more than doubled the weight the car was designed to move
haha and just the fact that it was proven it can be done. like us powerstroke drivers overloading our trucks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstyturtle328 View Post
Mad props for your huge balls:-)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
HAHA!
Jarrod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:11   #33
Airstream
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good
Default Yes Please...

Wow, I do not know how I missed this thread, but Airstreamer I love this! I have been dreaming about doing something similar ever since I got my 2000 Jetta TDI. ( Sadly not as good of a canidate as newer ones.) I know a lot of people doubt productions of CanAm but they know their stuff; and I would fully trust it. I have seen where they have hooked up 23' Airstreams (~5k lbs.) to a MKV Jetta TDI. Actually in this article http://www.rvlifemag.com/file363/hitchhints363.html , Andy talks about how they regularly use the Jetta to pick up new trailers for CanAm.

I am VERY interested in this topic. I live in a 1954 26' Airstream Cruiser (link in signature). I still need to get mine weighed, but the gutted weight is around 2k lbs; so with my custom interior I assume I am fully loaded at around 4k lbs and its a single axle. While Oilhammer is correct that the newer ones are "portly" the vintage ones are made quite light. The 50's are not as tall and narrower than 60's and on so I have that in my favor. I have been thinking about contacting CanAm to consider TDI options for towing my rig. They would probably recommend an MKV TDI for its independent rear suspension; but I would love to do the needed upgrades on my MK4 or a MK4 wagon to be a TV. getting 25mpg while towing would be amazing, but the real saving comes in the 90% time you aren't towing and aren't stuck with 20 mpg.

I mean com'on guys; if the bicycle brakes in my profile pic are good enough, I think my Jetta can handle it! This is what Airstreams were made for!

Last edited by Airstream; December 5th, 2011 at 10:15.
Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 19:02   #34
a4oli

TDI(s): 99.5 Golf
Fuel Economy: 4.38/ 100km (PB)

I'll let you guys know how my mk4 holds up with 2000 lbs by Friday, I have a load of firewood to bring home. Honestly all I would recommend to anyone looking at factory towing capacities, is to use them as a limit for the max weight WITHOUT brakes on the trailer. For the max total weight, I guess you have to go with some logic, aerodynamics, and hills.
a4oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 21:10   #35
Mark
Veteran Member

I see that he's got a load leveling hitch. That helps move some of the weight on the tongue to the front axle and distribute it through the car's chassis. The scariest tow vehicle I ever rode in (not my rig) was a Jeep Wrangler. Way too high and squirmy tires, the boat behind us kept pushing the rear of the vehicle from side to side.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 21:19   #36
JiffyJinx

Hey Airstreamr!

You're living my dream! I applaud your choice of tow vehicle and trailer. I assume you had Andy Thomson help you with your setup. He's my hero and we hope to have him set us up with a TDI/Airstream combination in the near future.

For those of you that haven't encountered CanAm RV, I suggest you Google them - watch the videos. You'll be amazed by the research that they have done over the past 25 years into unconventional tow vehicles. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars on a truck, suffer with it's mileage, ride..etc, when there is a real alternative?

alsoPaul
JiffyJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 21:31   #37
JiffyJinx

Sorry - forgot to mention, if interested, do a search for Andy Thomson in the forums on RV.net - there's a lot of information there as well.

As to the legality of using a Golf to tow an Airstream, maybe we could ask Andy to weigh in here - As a business owner, I'm quite sure he'll be well versed in the liability issues.

Airstreamr - from your photos, I assume you've done some towing/travelling in the US - any problems with the police or DTS?

alsoPaul
JiffyJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 14:46   #38
a4oli

2300 lbs grosse weight and no issues taking off or braking quickly. However I kept a neutral tongue weight by loading properly. I could imagine a new TDI with that much more power and electric brakes on the trailer would be a breeze. What it will do long term to a frame is a different story.
Old December 20th, 2011, 23:43   #39
Woospoint

Sure you can pull, but you can't stop. You're a hazard to navigation.
Woospoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:15   #40
BadNewsMike
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta TDI

I love it. Ive towed a pop up with mine. no pictures but i often use my diesel to tow cars back to the shop. I knew i couldnt be the only one with a 7 pin and trailer brakes on a tdi lol

Its funny i tell people oh ya i can tow your car back ill bring the 400 ft/lb diesel out and show up with that :P
BadNewsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 13:20   #41
a4oli

Lol, you know what electric brakes are right? Even with my 2300 lbs I had no issues braking, without electric brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woospoint View Post
Sure you can pull, but you can't stop. You're a hazard to navigation.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 20:48   #42
convict

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamer View Post
dieseldorf - totally ignoring it i'm also not 100% sure VW has a "towing capacity" listed (that i can find anyway).

i ensured it was setup by a professional towing expert (CanAm RV Centre - they speak around the world about towing and tow vehicles).
A strong gust of wind & I can see this rig all over the road! Can you amagine what it's like behind the wheel ? When you crash I would hate to be in your shoes. Attorneys & DOT are all going to be asking alot of questions, then you can refer them to your professional towing expert @ CanAm RV Centre. I hope their insurance premiums are paid up!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:18   #43
airstreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by convict View Post
A strong gust of wind & I can see this rig all over the road! Can you amagine what it's like behind the wheel ? When you crash I would hate to be in your shoes. Attorneys & DOT are all going to be asking alot of questions, then you can refer them to your professional towing expert @ CanAm RV Centre. I hope their insurance premiums are paid up!
i've actually driven the rig through 50-60mph crosswinds, no problem (other than a increase in fuel consumption). insurance has no problem insuring the rig or tow vehicle either.

in europe smaller cars tow RVs all the time (and smaller cars have towed RVs in north america in the 50s,60s,70s,etc...), but i wouldn't expect your pea-sized texas brain (i guess not everything is bigger in texas, eh?) to be able to comprehend anything outside of your bubble of being sold the the marketing from truck companies. Can-AM has been in business for 40 years.

get your head out of your ass before you spew a bunch of nonesense you know absolutely nothing about.

can you "AMAGINE" that?
Old January 24th, 2012, 19:15   #44
WEDEL.1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.1 L/100 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamer View Post
i've actually driven the rig through 50-60mph crosswinds, no problem (other than a increase in fuel consumption). insurance has no problem insuring the rig or tow vehicle either.
in europe smaller cars tow RVs all the time (and smaller cars have towed RVs in north america in the 50s,60s,70s,etc...), but i wouldn't expect your pea-sized texas brain (i guess not everything is bigger in texas, eh?) to be able to comprehend anything outside of your bubble of being sold the the marketing from truck companies. Can-AM has been in business for 40 years.
get your head out of your ass before you spew a bunch of nonesense you know absolutely nothing about.
can you "AMAGINE" that?
I like it
Old January 24th, 2012, 20:07   #45
mazz1111

Default Fyi ........

http://appalachianteardrop.com

These regularly make the festival circuit here in WNC....they are a sweet, compact way to camp.....1475 lbs. The awning in the back covers a trunk door that opens into a kitchen and work space.
mazz1111 is offline   Reply With Quote