www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old October 24th, 2011, 16:50   #1
airstreamer

Default my new golf tdi, towing my airstream

hey all - this is my first post on the message boards. just wanted to share how much i love my new golf tdi and how awesome a tow vehicle it is for my airstream.
i know it's not a typical tow vehicle for an RV in north america, but without any mods (other than a custom fabricated hitch of course), i get great mileage, zero overheating (i've driven it through the rockies and across the continent) and it's peppiness is only slightly less with a trailer that's the almost the same weight (obviously the airstream has good brakes). i can see why the golf tdi has won awards in the UK for "best tow vehicle".
i do obviously get a lot of weird looks and comments about it

Old October 24th, 2011, 16:55   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Hello, Paul, and welcome aboard!

How much does the trailer weigh when it's loaded?
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:02   #3
airstreamer

hey dieseldorf - it's 3500lbs empty, so about 4000lbs with white/black water.
edit - sorry, it's 3500lbs fully loaded (including water).

Last edited by airstreamer; October 25th, 2011 at 08:56. Reason: wrong data
airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:04   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Do you know the towing capacity of the car, or are we completely ignoring it?
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:10   #5
evanworld

This is wonderful - after passing so many ridiculous gas guzzlers, it's refreshing to see an eco-friendly option. Fancy and classy set up!
evanworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:25   #6
airstreamer

dieseldorf - totally ignoring it i'm also not 100% sure VW has a "towing capacity" listed (that i can find anyway).

i ensured it was setup by a professional towing expert (CanAm RV Centre - they speak around the world about towing and tow vehicles).

in EU though, there's a golf used on the actual airstream marketing: http://www.airstreameurope.co.uk/422...l#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/3/
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:31   #7
airstreamer

thanks evanworld! the mileage i'm getting while towing is ~25mpg. which i think beats the pants off any V8/pickup type vehicle.
Old October 24th, 2011, 18:17   #8
bvencil
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 combined average

1000 lbs.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...u-need-to-know

Dunno if I would exceed that by 3.5 - 4 times...

Bill's Music
bvencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 18:44   #9
Sweeps
Veteran Member

25 US MPG?

That's pretty impressive for towing 4,000lbs.
- Subaru Demo
- 02 BMW 330i - weekend fun.
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 18:45   #10
jsrmonster
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

Wow, good luck with that! You are living dangerously, but worse putting others at risk too. If you have to swerve for an alligator in the road or a bunny rabbit/deer/dog/cat/armadillo/moose/etc, you will take up 2 lanes gathering control. The tail will wag the dog!

Poor car ;-(

Nice trailer though.
15 Golf SW DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 20:22   #11
airstreamer

jsrmonster - i've actually gone in an empty parking to feel the swerving/swaying and it doesn't sway at all (sway bar helps with that) and it doesn't wag at all. have you ever tried - or are you based that on speculation alone (not being mean - just curious)? the trailer corrects as quickly as the car does, and it handles better than my nissan xterra, even with the trailer behind it. with the trailer brakes, the car stops quicker than without too.

i'd say risk to myself/others would be more based on driving poorly. the golf consistently wins "tow car of the year" in europe. in north america people are marketed to for big trucks, so they all believe that's all that can tow anything.

look back 50 years - cars barely had 100hp, big trucks with duelies weren't ever used, and towed much larger trailers consistently. canada/america are just sold "bigger is better for towing" by truck companies...
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:09   #12
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Paul, completely ignoring all safety factors, I'll hope you'll give some thought to the load you're putting on the drivetrain of your new vehicle. You've more than doubled the weight the car was designed to move
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:56   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That is a neat trailer. I've thought about getting something like that, but I'll go with something lighter (Airstreams, while very well made, are quite portly).

It is true that setups like this are quite common in Europe. Anyone seen the Top Gear episode where they were using a smallish Kia diesel to pull their "caravan"? It may look funny, but clearly his Golf can pull it. The court remains out on its longevity... I would want an EGT gauge installed (although once you see the EGTs your making, you may not want to pull it anymore!).

There are similar sized trailers available that are nearly half the weight. I need something I can pull behind both my Passat and my Vanagon, so 2500 pounds is about all I am gonna want.

Also, the Airstream 'Bambi' shown in your link, has a curb weight of less than 3000 pounds. I suspect Airstream sells lighter trailers there?

Last edited by oilhammer; October 25th, 2011 at 05:58.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:45   #14
jlock92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf View Post
Paul, completely ignoring all safety factors, I'll hope you'll give some thought to the load you're putting on the drivetrain of your new vehicle. You've more than doubled the weight the car was designed to move
Airstreamer has a point. I remember back in the day (early 1970s on) that you use to always see cars pulling trailers all the time. Most pick-up trucks back them were mainly owned by farmers or businesses for hauling purposes. As a kid, when my family lived in Los Angeles and traveled to Mississippi, you use to see all kind of cars pulling all kinds of trailers along the budding interstate highways (were in the finishing stages back them in some areas we traveled). In fact, the Buick Roadmaster has a higher towing capacity than many pickup trucks during its time in existence (10,000 lbs for the Roadmaster, most trucks were 6,000 to 8,500 lbs).

Like oilhammer said, I would probably go with a small/lighter trailer (like Casita, Scamp, etc) or a popup-style trailer. If you have a new Golf TDI (like myself), you should wait until down the road (after warranty/mileage break-in/some miles under the car's belt) before trying what Airstreamer is doing.
jlock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:50   #15
tomc585
Veteran Member

is that an auto or manual tranny?