2012 Passat TDI

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Porsche 991S 2014 2011 A3 TDI
Now for the big question, JSW or Passat both with TDI? About the same price with the same equipment. Wonder which one will be more reliable. Passat with the Eria

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
And they need to fine tune the website. They list the HP and TRQ the same at 236 for the TDI. Interesting is shows 236 is from 1500-2500 rpms. Compared to our 1750-2400.

I'm so pissed you can't get the manual with the SEL Package... Good thing I'm not in the market.

The DSG model costs 1900$ more than the 6 speed.

And they also list that the 6 speed will do 0-60 in 8.2 secs and the DSG in 9.1. Umm... Last I checked the DSG can shift faster and has shorter gears...

Why oh why do automakers kill the manuals??? Rant over...

chemeng1661

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Does anyone know when the USA dealers expect to get these in stock?

Also, anyone know if a wagon will be produced?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I talked to the local dealer, he's gonna have 2-3 in 3 weeks for demo but not available to purchase until august I think he said.

Jon

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Why oh why do automakers kill the manuals???
Consumers drive demand and product development/marketing. Don't blame the manufacturers.

Don't worry tho... as fuel prices remain above $3 FOREVER.:).. Buyers will be looking for sticks again and dealers will be presured to order them and auto manufacturers will adjust...

Then we can all say how automakers killed the slushy....;)

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
.........Don't worry tho... as fuel prices remain above $3 FOREVER.:).. Buyers will be looking for sticks again and dealers will be presured to order them and auto manufacturers will adjust...
Doubt it. DSG = Manual mpg, average driver will opt for the auto shift everytime. When the auto cost a few mpg maybe some would switch, being equal? Nah, not going to happen.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Doubt it. DSG = Manual mpg, average driver will opt for the auto shift everytime. When the auto cost a few mpg maybe some would switch, being equal? Nah, not going to happen.
DSG does cost a few mpg in real life. (and a big stack of money at purchase) The EPA fuel economy test cycle has a built-in advantage for automatics. The Euro test cycle less so.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I'm just not buying the "Automatics are as good as manual transmissions now!" marketing hype.

Automatics have been "finally as good as manuals" for decades now, according to marketers.
Don't worry that manuals will go away any time soon. Volkswagen considers it a huge success that 9% of Golfs in Germany are ordered with a DSG. That's still 91% manuals ;)

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Automatics have been "finally as good as manuals" for decades now, according to marketers. Don't worry that manuals will go away any time soon. Volkswagen considers it a huge success that 9% of Golfs in Germany are ordered with a DSG. That's still 91% manuals
Well you can go with "that's the way we did 'er back in 19..ought...& 5" all you want but the fact remains the DSG will a) out shift any human alive b) is a manual, just shifted by machine.

And remind me again why I give a **** what % of what is sold in Germany when talking about a car built solely for the US market?

AND a big stack of money every 40k miles :)
Well really if less than .01/mile is a deal breaker then I'd say a Rio, Accent, or Versa are better options.

If rowing gears makes you feel better go for it, but in the US don't get annoyed if the manufacturers treat you exactly like what you are - a nonentity in the market.

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
I agree that the average driver will choose the slushbox over the stick. For me personally, an avid car enthusiast, and TDI lover; I think VW shot themselves in the foot when only offering the stick in the base Passat. I love rowing the gears, and not to mention the occasional smokey start. :) I'm just glad I nabbed my Jetta when I did. I plan to keep it a long time, my next car will be a weekend play thing, with a stick also.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Well really if less than .01/mile is a deal breaker then I'd say a Rio, Accent, or Versa are better options.
Deal breaker? Of course not. But that $400 every year and a half can buy a lot of fuel.

And Rio/Accent/etc is really apples and oranges vs a TDI.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Deal breaker? Of course not. But that $400 every year and a half can buy a lot of fuel.

And Rio/Accent/etc is really apples and oranges vs a TDI.
My only real point was that a) it's not an el-cheapo enconobox b) all cars cost $$$ to maintain

HighMilesGuy

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hello everyone,

Been lurking for a while, thought I'd chime in. Was at the stealer today (St Louis, MO) and they said they would have a demo of '12 passat in 2 weeks and will be selling them in July. Looking at the accessories brochure, there is a badass bodykit available that gives the front end a whole new look. Will try and post a pic later. My stealer is not getting any TDI's w/manuals. Told him I would trade my '06 Jetta TDI if he could get me the new passat with the body kit, sunroof, leather, nav, TDI/man and he laughed in my face and went and helped somebody else! Jerk!

Here is the front pic of the Hi-Def body kit!

Here is a pic of the standard front end

Last edited:

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Hello everyone,

Been lurking for a while, thought I'd chime in. Was at the stealer today (St Louis, MO) and they said they would have a demo of '12 passat in 2 weeks and will be selling them in July. Looking at the accessories brochure, there is a badass bodykit available that gives the front end a whole new look. Will try and post a pic later. My stealer is not getting any TDI's w/manuals. Told him I would trade my '06 Jetta TDI if he could get me the new passat with the body kit, sunroof, leather, nav, TDI/man and he laughed in my face and went and helped somebody else! Jerk!
Only way to get a manual is to get the base model. Not much he could do about that.

HighMilesGuy

TDI
2006 Jetta
Only way to get a manual is to get the base model. Not much he could do about that.
It shows in the brochure the TDI SE, basically a stripper, was the only one available with the manual. Problem is, I drive 40,000/yr and I just know the DSG won't last as long as I will keep the car. My current jetta TDI has 190,000 and I am still running on the original clutch. I have a hard time getting those kind of miles out of auto's with no problems, plus, I enjoy running it through the gears. I am going to visit another stealer (much larger) further west next month and see what they can do for me.

HighMilesGuy

TDI
2006 Jetta
The Canadian-model ordering guide is out. We can get TDI/manual on all trim levels!
How difficult is it to buy a car in Canada and then bring it to the US? My brother brought his car back from Germany when he got out of the army but had to do alot of emission work to get it registered here in the states. Would it be a PITA bringing a TDI from Canada?

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Here is the front pic of the Hi-Def body kit!
Unfortunately, the whole new look is because the body kit is for the B6 Passat which was last sold as a model year 2010. I've seen the kit on a Passat in person and it looked pretty nice if that's the sort of look you want.

I've personally thought the new Passat looks very well suited to becoming a NASCAR body so it would be interesting to see what it would look like with a low splitter and air dam. A few years ago there were rumors VW was considering entering NASCAR. Those have since been denied, but I wonder if NASCAR would be an appropriate motorsport venue to garner VW some mass market appeal here in the US. Perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes, or maybe I just think VW would be a more appropriate brand than Toyota in the series.

HighMilesGuy

TDI
2006 Jetta
You mention that this Hi-Def kit was for the B6 Passat. Maybe that's why the sales rep laughed in my face. As you can see by my avatar, the look of the Hi-Def kit is somewhat the same look as my car of course just on a Passat which is newer and looks sharper.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
that $400 every year and a half can buy a lot of fuel.
I think I spent just a hair over $100 last time around. 5qts @ $16, filter @ $30 couple cents for the washer and 0-ring... (3 changes and I'm still on the originals)...

but I guess if you want to throw $$$ at the dealerships to botch up your car... $400 is a fair price...

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Having owned two of them I like the DSG. I want one of these pretty badly now...in SEL trim with lip spoiler and mat kit. Glacier Blue and Titan Black Leather.