new brakes- brake light now flashing

iantyler

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 5spd Golf 149,000
i just replaced my control arms, pads, rotors, and brake lines in my mk4 this past week. other than a snapped nut in the control arm, everything went smooth. i connected the sensor in the drivers inside brake pad to the connector, and when i started the car up i had the "low brake pad" indicator light, along with a flashing and beeping brake light. i disabled the low brake indicator using vcds, but i'm still having issues with the brake light. every once in a while it turns on and begins flashing and beeping, then turns itself off. anyone have any ideas?

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
hmmmm. I wonder if there is something like a defective sensor in the pad causing the trouble.

Honestly, I haven't had to replace my brakes yet so I don't have a lot to go on :(

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The pad sensor only illuminates the brake pad wear warning light. Some of the pads I've installed had fairly chintzy feeling wires going to the pad, so it would be easy for them to break off while installing. You could also jumper the connector and tape it up if the sensor wire to the pad or internal pad wire is broken.

The flashing/beeping 'BRAKE' light in this case typically means your parking brake is on or the brake fluid level sensor thinks your fluid level is low.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Your brake fluid is low. That is why the light is flashing/beeping.

As for the break pad light, I wouldn't turn it off with VCDS if it was my car. Its a good thing to have and I would figure out why its not working correctly.