www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

View Poll Results: Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC 0 0%
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 4 23.53%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARF BLAST 5 29.41%
NARFBLAST ATOMIC 1 5.88%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 2 11.76%
EPIC FACEPALM 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31st, 2010, 18:19   #16
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)
Default Repaired my Glow Plug Wire Harness: Soldered Plug #4

So I found out why P0380 kept coming up, there was a scorch hole in my #4 glow plug boot:

After testing all the glow plugs and finding them all to produce a healthy glow when pulled from the head and connected individually to a 12V source, I cleaded up all the connecting surfaces the best that I could and put everything back together. I still had the CEL within a couple of cold starts.

I checked the price a of new glow plug wire harness and found they cost from $54 shipped from the USA to $84 Canadian plus 13% tax from my local VW dealer.

So I did some soul searching... for a few nights I lay awake, thinking about the spare working glow plug I had in the garage and wondering, what if?

What if I...

...soldered a lead to it?

That was so easy, I pulled the burnt harness out, cut the bad boot off, and came up with a plan to butt crimp my soldered glow plug in to the harness, with plenty of slack for future repairs:

I used the wire to "spin it in" and then it only took about a quarter turn to snug it up...

Engage butt crimps and voila!

I am also glad that I relocated the vacuum reservoir, made this repair so much easier. I used piece of 1/16 inch sheet metal and drilled two holes to mach the original holes in the original mounting bracket, I attached the bulb to the sheet metal using the original single bolt and plastic alignment nub, then I zip tied the new metal bracket to the battery cover by drilling four holes.

Its has been a few days and a few coldish starts that should have triggered the check engine light by now... I think we are good. I carved this pumpkin today to celebrate:

The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 20:24   #17
Hatchet Ratchet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.1 Best

nice pumkin! very clever.
1500W Zerostart Heater
"Hatchet Hitch" - 2" Stainless Steel -
"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." -Benjamin Franklin
Hatchet Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 20:46   #18
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (670k miles)

NARFman, is there anything different or unconventional about your fuel flap?
'03 Golf with 670k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:43   #19
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
NARFman, is there anything different or unconventional about your fuel flap?
LOL! It is just a really nice sticker. I put it on about 6 years ago, it was on sale at Princess Auto, regular 9.99, it was on for 99 cents in a clearance bin and I was not sure if it would fit but I thought, what the hell... it fit perfectly, so it was meant to be. It is made of a thick plastic with aluminum foil and an embossed design so it looks real from a distance. Also very durable apparently. Some would say it is cheezey or ricey but really it was only supposed to be a temporary bit of fun until I found a real aluminum fuel flap, but then it sort of grew on me.

Here is a daylight photo from when I had the 205/75R15 tires on:

edit: updated picture link
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com

Last edited by NarfBLAST; March 1st, 2011 at 21:50.
Old November 20th, 2010, 14:36   #20
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default Long Shifter + Short Shift Kit = Perfect Match!

The Thrustmaster Shifter is now enhanced with a DieselGeek TTX Short Shift Kit. It is like these two were made for each other!

Before and After in 5th gear notice how close the top had used to be to the cup holder:

Also cleaned the snow screen and changed the air filter while I had the air box out...
Old December 19th, 2010, 15:06   #21
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default Utility Trailer Suspension Upgrade: Dampers!

After a few weekends of design and fitting I finally finish welded one lower shock mount. The shocks will be mounted at 45 degrees off the leaf spring mounting plate:

For VW content, the upper shock eyes were salvaged from the original equipment shocks on my Golf. They were welded to the top of the "found in Grandpa's barn" shocks after the threaded end was cut off. Also from Grandpa's barn: the steel tubing. Also re-used from VW suspension: top and bottom mounting hardware. Total cost so far, $3.49 per side for the leaf spring pads (the multi-curved bit welded in between the tube and the fingers in the above picture).

Here are the previous attempts,

Too Boring:

Too Long:

Last edited by NarfBLAST; December 19th, 2010 at 17:35.
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:25   #22
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

UPDATE to: Repaired my Glow Plug Wire Harness: Soldered Plug #4

Working great:

1:31
TDI Cold Start at -9 deg C
Old December 28th, 2010, 20:50   #23
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Utility trailer suspension finished:

Old January 21st, 2011, 07:00   #24
vdubguru

Hey Paul, Spotted your Golf in the Timmies/Wendies parking lot at Walkers & Mainway in Burlington on wednesday. Congrats on passing 400K!
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:37   #25
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Thanks vdubguru!
Old February 1st, 2011, 18:21   #26
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default 1" or more lift in the future...

These parts arrived today: http://www.evolutionimport.com/1_LIF...-00113-001.htm

These parts are so beautiful that I could not bear the thought of re-using my old rear springs. Also, I have been annoyed by the stiffness of the Air Lift 1000 spring helpers, and also bothered by the fact that my right rear is half an inch lower than the rest of the car due to the "broken" spring, also, I would have to re-route the air lines up instead of down and also I have been haunted by nicklockard's words in post #9 ...

...So I ordered a brand new set of Jetta Wagon Rear Springs (A4)

I also have a set of 10mm spacers that were rusted and stuck to my old struts that I have cleaned up and are going in the front on top of the 1" spaces pictured above.

edits: added links and details.

Last edited by NarfBLAST; February 1st, 2011 at 18:27.
Old February 5th, 2011, 13:01   #27
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

Thanks for all the updates. Would like to build my own teardrop trailer and have matching rims. Would be one less spare tire to carry also....or use the stock spare tire well for extra fuel, and carry the spare on the trailer.
Old February 18th, 2011, 20:50   #28
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default Adventures in Lifting a Mk4 Golf Day 1 of 3

Removed my old Golf springs, and compared them to the new Jetta Wagon springs I received from idparts.com. I lined all four springs up so that the start of the coils were lined up, you can see how much is missing from the broken one, about a quarter turn, in this picture:

Before installation, there is only about one inch of height difference. However, there is an extra coil in there, and when installed this adds over 2" of actual ride height (depending on the condition of the old springs)

Not knowing how much height I would get from the new wagon springs, I installed the new 1" lift blocks from evolutionimport.com at same time. They seated with a loud thud as I lowered the car, probably because the Jetta Wagon springs are so long that things don't really line up until the suspension is compressed. In this picture the spring is not seated on the aluminum block yet:

I also installed the 1" spacers plus OEM 10mm spacers for the front for a total lift of aprox 1 and 3/8 inches or 35.4mm in the front.

Here is the AFTER picture on the afternoon of Day 1:

Measurements from the ground thru the center of the hubcap to the fender:

Before:
26" in front with new but broken in Bilstien TC struts and strut mounts but no spacers
26.5" to 27" in rear with crapped out springs and stiff riding air spring helpers at 4 psi

After:
27+" in front with 1" spacers plus 10mm spacers stacked on top of eachother
29+" in rear with 1" lift blocks plus Jetta Wagon Springs providing 2" more

During the past week and 600km or so I think the rear springs settled in maybe half an inch if that is possible? Maybe I just got used to the rake. What I could not get used to was the loud CLUNK when the Bilstien TC stock replacement Golf rear shocks top out whenever a rear wheel drops in to a dip in the road.

I would spend a few days debating in my head the merits of

a) puchasing new Jetta Wagon longer rear shocks

vs:

b) fabricating an extension bracket to make my Golf shocks seem longer

combined possibly with:

c) replacing the 1" lifting blocks with new OEM VW 1mm lifting blocks

Last edited by NarfBLAST; February 18th, 2011 at 21:20.
Old February 18th, 2011, 21:06   #29
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default Adventures in Lifting a Mk4 Golf Day 2 of 3

I was able to accomplish c) replacing the 1" lifting blocks with new OEM VW 1mm lifting blocks today,

...and now the car sits almost perfectly level, only slightly higher in the rear that the front, aprox 27.5" to 28" to the center of the fenders.

Also the shock topping out clunking seems to be completely gone, but I suspect I am borderline and still need to fabricate those shock extension brackets or consider some pretty new orange Koni Jetta Wagon shocks (which are on sale at idparts!). I hate to spend money when I don't need to and I love to fabricate so I will try to fabricate some new lower shock mounts first.

Anyway, the ride is amazingly smooth with proper springs in the rear.

The air ride spring helpers were cheap, and adjustable, but choppy as hell compared to proper springs.

I think I want to put the 1" blocks in the back again once I fabricate 2" shock extensions. I think I want the back higher than the front because I prefer a positive rake to a negative rake when I throw a heavy load and trailer on the back, but then again, I don't know how these Jetta Wagon springs will react, so I am not sure what I will do next... but I have reserved day 3 to find out.

Here is a picture from her "good side":

Last edited by NarfBLAST; February 18th, 2011 at 21:53.
Old February 28th, 2011, 19:33   #30
thevwkid53
Veteran Member

TDI(s): DAS SOOT

I can't wait until I can take pictures of my car beside yours this year. It looks like yours will drive over mine with out a problem.
thevwkid53 is offline   Reply With Quote