www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old April 13th, 2017, 22:20   #61
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Here is another update from Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Lots going on with the car. Had to spend some time getting this aftermarket bumper to fit somewhat well. Then dropped it off with a body shop to fine tune the fit, mount and paint.

Needed to get that done so I could drop the car off for exhaust. Then we can get going on the tune.

Fuel fill opening has been opened up and now working on the fuel sender(s). Apparently the car is only able to draw from one of the sumps and the fuel gauge is terribly inaccurate.

Gauge wiring is all back together. Another interesting endeavor where gauges were cross wires (three wires for a boost gauge...two of them going to the boost gauge and one of them going to a oil pressure gauge) and thermocouples were in the wrong pins for the gauge. That and it was an absolute rat's nest behind the gauges....untidy wiring stresses me out! Next is to find out if I can get the oil pressure and thermocouple adapter in there with the routing of the a/c lines and radiator hoses trying to occupy the same space. I'll snap some pictures of the gauge installation once it is all complete.

Rubbing boost hoses/pipes are fitting properly where I have room to make a difference. On the front of the motor it is just so tight there isn't much I can do to avoid the pipe from contacting something.
Old April 14th, 2017, 16:15   #62
sackman
Veteran Member

Fitment looks spot on. Where was this bumper purchased through?
Old April 14th, 2017, 22:26   #63
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman View Post
Fitment looks spot on. Where was this bumper purchased through?
To get the fitment to get as good as it is, it took greengeeker a couple of hours of fiddling with it and the body shop spent some time on it as well. So it was far from perfect right from the start.

Here's where I got that rear bumper. http://www.optikwerks.com/

Link to that exact bumper. http://www.optikwerks.com/Golf4/RLineWithout/index.html

If I could have a do over...I'd have ordered that same style bumper from SRS-TEC. Just to forewarn people...SRS-TEC is out of Germany, so shipping will be quite expensive due to the size of the box they have to ship it in. If I remember right, it would've cost more to ship it than the price of the bumper. But I've heard that their parts fit quite a bit better than Optiwerks stuff, so lesson learned on going the cheaper route for replacement body panels.
http://srs-tec.de/cars/VW/Golf-IV/Re...f-IV::280.html

Right now I just want it finished so I can enjoy it and take it to the track to open it up and see what she can do.
Old April 16th, 2017, 19:23   #64
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Here's the car loaded up and on it's way to the exhaust shop.

Quote:
And off to the exhaust shop.

More updates next week.
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:00   #65
FLASH1970

this is a very cool build. one ive wondered if anyone had tried. cuz, well, front wheel drive sucks. I read the rear bumper was changed due to soot, which is a bummer because it looked nice. but why get rid of the seats? weight im guessing. all the cool R parts are being removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
One thing that got mentioned is that they have windows looking out into the shop from the waiting area, so you can see them working on your car if you have the time.
this could be hilarious... or scary if the mechanics are the tool throwing four letter word screaming type.

Last edited by FLASH1970; April 17th, 2017 at 11:04.
FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 19:22   #66
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
this is a very cool build. one ive wondered if anyone had tried. cuz, well, front wheel drive sucks. I read the rear bumper was changed due to soot, which is a bummer because it looked nice. but why get rid of the seats? weight im guessing. all the cool R parts are being removed.

this could be hilarious... or scary if the mechanics are the tool throwing four letter word screaming type.
There has been one other RTDI before this one and there are a few Audi TT TDIs out there as well.

Yeah, I changed out the rear bumper due to the amount of soot and grime that had accumulated on the rear bumper and hatch. I really wish I had taken a picture of how bad it was. Plus as soon as the gas engine was replaced with a TDI, it was no longer an R32 in my eyes.

The seats got sold due to the fact that they were less than ideal to run harnesses with. I plan on taking it to the track, so I'm replacing the seats with something lighter and seats that'll accept harnesses.

This was far from the most ideal car to save as a pristine example of an R32. There are so many mods done to the car even before the engine swap, that it wouldn't have made much sense to all the .:R parts on/in the car. Plus this way from the outside you really have no idea what version of Golf it is until it passes you in a haze of soot.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 21:19   #67
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

The following posts are from greengeeker.
While this car is a compilation of OEM components when it comes to installing just about anything onto the car you end up having to modify or fabricate many things to get them to fit.
One such example is the skidplate. While this might normally take <1hr to install a panzer plate on a normal car, I had to fabricate a new mount for the right side since the FMIC had the pipe trying to occupy the same space as all the available mounts currently offered by the many vendors.
The car also has an 034 poly dogbone setup which also meant the skid plate did not clear that bracket without some delrin bushings on the rear of the plate.

Old October 23rd, 2017, 21:21   #68
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

greengeeker's post
Quote:
As can be seen in the video posted earlier, with the help of jfettig I installed a dual gauge setup so we could monitor both boost and drive pressures. Using this, I had to make several stop screw adjustments as the car was driving like a BRM does with a worn vane mechanism (big hesitation off the line, huge smoke cloud and then she goes). Anyway, tons of tons of logs were done with many iterations of tune tried to work out the MAF-based smoke maps. (the video is showing a very early tune...final tune and stop screw adjustment were much better)
Oh, stop screw adjustments are really fun on a 4Motion car BTW. As you can see I had to remove the axle and swing the wheel assembly out to gain access to the stop screw and actuator.

I'll take the time to mention that owning a car this heavily modified will almost always guarantee you need to tinker with something...in other words, for the fun you are trading off some level of reliability. The car has left me or jfettig stranded twice and almost a 3rd time.
1) Because of the pushed back radiator and ill-fitting hoses the radiator fan eventually wore through a radiator hose, draining all the coolant.
2) I went for a test drive after installing the fluidamper to see if I could notice any difference in the vibrations. Well after only SIX miles with the damper installed (using the bolts provided, torqued per instructions) I started hearing a really gnarly clanking which was rpm-dependent. I immediately thought the worst and thought rod bearing. I popped the hood and noticed the damper was wobbling badly. I was luckily very near an Oreillys and was able to purchase the tools necessary to tighten the two bolts still remaining. Some longer bolts, loctite and lock washers and it hasn't come loose since.
3) With the front and rear locked differentials every bit of power is put to the ground. I haven't been able to get the tires to slip whatsoever. Well when testing out a particularly strong tune I noticed a very sudden change in engine vibration at certain speeds. I quickly limped back to the shop to find that the the car had ripped the threads out of the engine mount. Helicoiled and she seems to be holding strong.

I'm VERY HAPPY this occurred AFTER I had installed the Panzer plate. Another benefit of a skid plate...prevents your engine from dropping out of the engine bay.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 21:23   #69
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

From other thread.
Quote:
A critical step that needed to be completed was hood pins for the non-OEM, CF hood.
Since you are locking down the front of the hood with very little adjustment step 1 is to align your hood as perfectly as you can before starting! I nearly missed this step but caught myself before drilling the first hole (measure eight times, cut once applies here).

Eric also had me install some incredibly comfortable race seats and harnesses. I never imagined these seats would be as comfortable for someone bigger than a 32" waist but you can drive all day long in these Recaros. Worth the money IMO.

Old October 23rd, 2017, 21:24   #70
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Last one.
Quote:
Well, I'm not covering everything that I did with the car. That was captured in very extensive build notes sheet shared with Eric. It was a very cool experience working on this car. It gave me some insight into the upper levels of TDI performance...how much $ it takes to get there, how you have to modify each and every subsystem of the car to stand up to the rigors, and how much you rely on a small circle of capable people to keep a car like this in tip top shape. And even then you have to be prepared to shell out big $ when something breaks.
I hope Eric enjoys the car and gets it out to as many track days and GTGs as possible.