www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:47   #1
WI_TDI_Fan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/43
Default In-Dash (Cluster) Boost Gauge

Anyone ventured into this one ?

http://www.impconcepts.com/vwtdiboostgaugeforsale.htm

Looks pretty straight forward, and likely could be combined with a swap to a MFA.

Dean
WI_TDI_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:28   #2
pepper10
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 Avg

very cool mod. Pricey for a diy though. A+ for visual effect. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
pepper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:28   #3
tongsli
Veteran Member

Try searching. There are ALOT of TDI guys who have this cluster. A few that come to mind:

Oldpoopie
PeterV
Torkin Dog
TDI never die
Coolwht
Occam's Razor

L
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 13:15   #4
ShokWaveRider

Hi All:

I am back from vacation. I am actually in Toronto Canada for a few months. I am only doing boost gauges to special order now. I do not advertise at all and will be off traveling for a few months again come October/November. So any Canadians that want any work done let me know. Email me if you need any questions answered. There are lots of references here on this site.

I am also considering selling the business complete if you know anyone.... Probably to much work for the average person though. Just a thought.

Happy boosting,

Ian
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 13:49   #5
TorkingDog
Veteran Member

I would highly recommend this mod for anyone who is looking for a really cool boost gauge. Ian installed mine in a MFA cluster utilizing green, yellow, amber and red led's for a 25 psi unit. Ian's workmanship and quality service is outstanding!
TorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 23:15   #6
BrentB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Unknown

I would be interested in seing the schematics but thats about it. I think I am going to finally get to work on my gauge clusters that read right off the ECU electronicly rather then using an analog signal. More guage options and very easy to set up.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 20:29   #7
EECSentric
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36-49

I really like the boost gauge behind the tach. It would be cool if you could have two needles, one red and one blue on top of each other (like a hour and minute hand) but that would require some major rework I'm sure. Ian did an excellent job of showing how to do the install.

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in seing the schematics but thats about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that he used Express PCB to design and fabricated the PCBs. If he had 20 of them made with the standard service (no silk, no mask, 2 layer) it works out to about $9/pcb.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am going to finally get to work on my gauge clusters that read right off the ECU electronicly rather then using an analog signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for using the analog signal is that it is very easy to build this type of circuit. Although all of the pictures of the circuit do not show any part numbers, I would assume that the LM3914 (a very standard dot/bar display driver) is the heart of the circuit. It has provisions for programming LED current (for dimming) and for cascade operation. The LM3914 has a linear output scale, while its brother (the LM3915) has a logarithmic scale. The main issue is just making sure to not load down the input signal (guess IC3 is an op-amp buffer of some kind) and to properly calibrate the entire unit (since it is analog). The LM3914 datasheet has an excellent set of application notes.

I don't think the board itself is worth the current $265 price but there was time invested in its design and significant work at providing excellent installation instructions and photographs.

However, the time it takes to actually do the full install and the workmanship and quality that the photos show, now that is worth the price. I think many people would be hard pressed to do such a good install of this kind of kit and that is where the money goes.

BrentB, the nice thing about reading from the analog signal is you know it's pure. So regardless of what happens to you're ECU, or which ECU is being used, your boost guage will always be correct and will be updated at the fastest possible rate (which is what is needed, right?)

Ian, could you share the schematics with us? Possibly using a Creative Commons licence?

I'd really like to build this, but I've got to finish my car computer first. I'd set the display up in three ranges, dim blues for the low and medium range and red for the higher danger zone (over 18psi). It would operate in dot mode in the low range, then switch to bar mode in the mid range. If the input overranged, the I'd set the display to flash. It's all in the data sheet. Digital electronics are cool and all, but analog is heaven in some cases. I'd suggest using clear or frosted case LEDs in any case, as I don't like the non-stock look of yellow or green dots. What would be even better is if the LEDs were placed behind the faceplate and the drilled holes were covered with a translucent material to give it even more of a stock look. Oh, an alternate mode of operation that would take a little more work would be a full bargraph but with a peak dot with decay.

Comments? Ideas? Anyone interested?
EECSentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 23:24   #8
EECSentric
Veteran Member

Here is a fun ap note: LM3914 based air/fuel mix circuit
Old May 26th, 2004, 19:52   #9
billmn
Veteran Member

I would LOVE to do this mod, I would be willing to build the box myself if needed (and if it would save some $$). I have been trying to figure out a decent boost gauge but don't want a separate gauge off the cluster.

I like the idea of putting the LED's behind so it has a more finished look, the cover of some kind (so it looks more like stock) would be a GREAT idea too (especially if someone could print up the numbers on it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Bill
billmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 22:16   #10
EECSentric
Veteran Member

billmn,

I am working on it. I just finished a preliminary design and posted it online at http://tdi.elysianaudio.com/turbogauge.html . It is not quite finished because I need someone to answer the question of what is the MAP sensor output look like and how is it calibrated (posted question in this thread here).

If at least 10 other people are interested in the board, I'll do a batch order. But you'll have to wait a few weeks till I can prototype it up just to be sure. I'd say by far the coolest addition to my design is the decaying dot peak indicator on top of the normal bar graph. More information to go up soon.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:18   #11
arootbeer
Veteran Member

It's my understanding that the boost should be taken from the upper intercooler pipe near the manifold, not from the MAP directly. IIRC, Ian's solution actually uses an air line tube to get boost pressure from the system.

(Of course, this is all from memory, so I may be off a bit).

Edit: After reading through his documentation, it states that you can use either the onboard MAP, or a separate MAP. However, for highly boosted cars, you'll need a 3-BAR MAP to see anything over 20 PSI. I did a quick search for these, and they seem to run about $90.
arootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 14:50   #12
ShokWaveRider

I would use a Motorola MPX5700ap which is actually good to 101psi but you only need to use the first 44.7 psi of 14.7+30.

MPX5700

And, it can just be connected into the car's vacuum line for ease of installation.

Then you could can the jumper settings and adjustments, so all the units (PCBs) would be the same from a component perspective.

My circuit is actually a lot simpler that this, but each unit needs individual calibration. Making construction time a little longer. I did mine for compactness in order to fit into a 3x1.5x0.5 enclosure. The complexity is the installation into the dash as opposed to the circuit.

Nice Job, has it been tested yet?

Ian
Old May 27th, 2004, 15:00   #13
ShokWaveRider

Oh:

I forgot, I have over 300 1.8mm Blue and Amber LEDS that I had specially made. Red, Greens and Yellows are readily available. They are made by Lumex and Digikey charge $7.50 each as a special order and you have to buy a lot. I paid nowhere near that.

Ian
Old May 27th, 2004, 17:22   #14
billmn
Veteran Member

Depending on the price I would be VERY intrested in a group buy on these. Anyone with any good ideas on mounting the LEDs behind for a more finished look?

Bill
billmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 17:59   #15
EECSentric
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone with any good ideas on mounting the LEDs behind for a more finished look

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about it. Here is a sort of plan. Drill the holes in the same way as shown above, but don't put the LEDs through the holes. Instead, put the LEDs behind face plate, tacking them in place with a little super glue or what not. To save on depth, SMT LEDs could be used (hopefully the same color as the blue/red backlight LEDs). Fill in with black silicone caulk (or something), solder the whole mess up (same procedure) and cover with more caulk. Once the whole thing dries, flip plate over and hold it in some setup so that the top is very level and stable. Then, VERY carefully, fill in each little well/hole with a medium viscosity translucent material. I'm thinking a simple superglue would work. If done just right and slowly enough (tapping the surface to get out air bubbles), this would create a small plastic window effect.

Sound reasonable.

So here is my question, where can I buy/find extra tach gauge faceplates? I'd like to get a few to practice on and also to play with before I pull the dash apart.