Back glass help

Satza

TDI
1996 passat
I have a 96 b4 passat sedan. I am trying to get the back glass for it. The part the glass shop got for it doesnt fit. It is not available through the dealer anymore either. Is there an audi equivalent to this car that has the same back glass? I would rather get something new being that I have glass coverage on the car. Any advice would be appreciated, the plastic bag wont hold up much longer.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s NLA. JY or a part out, may be your best bet.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
your saying that safelight auto glass does not have it? Website says they do.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have a 96 b4 passat sedan. I am trying to get the back glass for it. The part the glass shop got for it doesnt fit. It is not available through the dealer anymore either. Is there an audi equivalent to this car that has the same back glass? I would rather get something new being that I have glass coverage on the car. Any advice would be appreciated, the plastic bag wont hold up much longer.
There is no audi equivalent vehicle for the B3/4 cars. VW ventured out on their own with this platform rather than borrow from Audi like they did with the B1/2 and the B5/5.5.

Oddly enough the wagon glass is still available in one version but the sedan back glass in NLA new from VW. ECS Tuning lists it to the tune of $400 but if VW is NLA then in reality ECS can't get it either.

Your options are going to be thin if the one you already tried will not fit. Specifications for these come from VW to the glass makers so if the wrong specs have been distributed then all the production could be incorrect. It could also be a case of the supplier sending the wrong product too. I would bet that's happened more than once. What does the glass shop say about getting another one in?

I personally would accept an original glass over a new glass from some makers out there but that's my choice. The one bad thing about originals is you will lose the original trim during the removal but there are aftermarket trims that are acceptable too. A new glass is always nice but if the fit is poor at some point you're going to have a problem I would think.

Good luck in your hunt, I hope you're able to get one. As another member said Safelite lists the product but again it might be a repeat of what you found before where it won't fit.

For reference it looks like the last OE part number for back glass was 3A5845499E

Steve

Last edited:

Satza

TDI
1996 passat
Thanks for the input. I am assuming b3 glass is different as well, correct? The piece that did not fit was from safelite. Rock auto shows one available, but it appears to be the same part number as safelite.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
B3 glass is the same I think. I know the plastic trim piece at the bottom is the safe, as I fitted one to my B4. That would give you the choice between B3 and B4, unless you have a B4 with 3rd brake light.
It might not be available from the dealer, but normally it is still available from the OEM manufacturer Saint Gobain/Sekurit.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Safelite manufactures a lot of their glass. From what I’ve read, poor quality is pretty common.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
B3 glass is the same I think. I know the plastic trim piece at the bottom is the safe, as I fitted one to my B4. That would give you the choice between B3 and B4, unless you have a B4 with 3rd brake light.
It might not be available from the dealer, but normally it is still available from the OEM manufacturer Saint Gobain/Sekurit.

VW lists the B3 and B4 glasses under different numbers so there must be some minor difference, probably the style of the brake light assembly would be my guess.

The bottom line is that the opening is the same between B3 & B4 but for some reason the parts are slightly different. In other words the glass will fit either one but it might not be visually the same.

Steve

Satza

TDI
1996 passat
Thank you

That is the information I was looking for. Rock auto has 3 in stock that have the b3 part number listed. I didn't want to pull the trigger on that without at least knowing the opening is the same. I can figure out the brake light issue. I think the b3 was on the bottom, b4 on top.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That is the information I was looking for. Rock auto has 3 in stock that have the b3 part number listed. I didn't want to pull the trigger on that without at least knowing the opening is the same. I can figure out the brake light issue. I think the b3 was on the bottom, b4 on top.
According to the brochures the B3 3rd brake light was at the top of the glass, which makes sense since most B3 cars had the rear deck lid spoiler, std on GL cars to the US, which would have obscured a low mounted brake light. My guess is that the difference might have been the shape of the 3rd brake light or the tint color of the glass.

About the fitment of B3 and B4, from Wikipedia, "The B3 Passat was heavily facelifted in 1993, and although it was designated B4, it was not an all-new model. The facelift revised external body panels except for the roof and glasshouse..."

The reference to 1993 (for 1994 MY) was for European B4 models, the US didn't receive the B4 until 1995.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Safelite manufactures a lot of their glass. From what I’ve read, poor quality is pretty common.

-Todd
10/4 on that. i know a guy up in my area who does installs off the clock and has an in with the ordering department, ANYWHOOO, $100 cash for him and he sells the glass AT COST. so im out $164 for new glass on my MK3 Jetta. i have since used him in the past for 4 years on all my friends and families cars, but i have seen about 25% or so of the glass come DEFECTIVE or improper fitment. like BIG defects. He sends them back and we go for round 2 and always have had 2nd go at it go fine.

He stopped doing this for safelight though last year, he was picking up his daughter from soccer practice on company time with the company van and has a Tbone from a drunk hit the company truck at a Red light.

i would order a few times, at least they wont charge you if its not going to fit. no harm in trying.

As for the life of the glass! get a clear bra put on it.

Last edited by a moderator: