DIY Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit, MKIV Golf

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Lighting pictures look outstanding to me.
Wish I had the talent to do it.
I just do a quick polish every few months during the summer & the 2 part stuff for the winter. Its not close to what you have.
Any idea how much you spent for everything?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Lighting pictures look outstanding to me.
Wish I had the talent to do it.
I just do a quick polish every few months during the summer & the 2 part stuff for the winter. Its not close to what you have.
Any idea how much you spent for everything?
Thanks four the compliment.
Everything came in at just under $200.
I'm always willing to help those who have questions! It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, which is why I went back and forth for a few months.

I was able to rotate that passenger side projector ever so slightly in the clocking washer to make the rotation a hair better. Not perfect, but I'm happy with the work

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Thanks for updating as you went.

I hope to tackle this over the winter with a spare set of HL and an assortment of non-VW/Audi OEM ballasts and projectors. If this works out 1/2 as good as yours, it might finally push me to switch to a Golf front end, just to support the HL swap. If not, I might do a set of Jetta HL's as well.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah once you get in there and do it, it's really not as bad. I didn't have a spare set of headlights so the car was down for a couple weeks, but I have other modes of transportation. If this was my only one, I would have purchased a junk ebay set of housings just to get my by while I did this.

Hopefully this thread is useful for any of the Golf's out there. There's multiple ways to go about this retro, but my main driving force in doing it this way was to be able to have the rotation.

I'm not sure, but if I did this over again, I might ditch the clocking washer all together. One side for mine was perfectly flat, the other side caused the projector to be slightly skewed. This would be an easy fix even with the nut on the shaft tight, as you could still get a grip to spin it in the vehicle if need be, and it would stay put after. I just did it this way so that if I needed to replace a projector ever, the clocking washer would get me level again, but as I found, there is enough play even in the washer to throw you off slightly.

If I ever decided to go back in there, I might break the washer free and then just use the nut to tighten all the way, and leave it be. A little dab of silicon on the nut will keep it from backing off, and the projector won't go anywhere.

Ya live and learn though, that's the nice thing about documenting threads in this fashion

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
For the Jetta lights, look up the Golf mod to get the low and high burning simultaneously. I have a set of 2" micro's in my fog light holes and run the halogens in the main buckets. I found that both a Mini H1 and a Mini D2S will fit in the main reflector of the e-code lights. It is amazing to me how much the HID's carry the weight as this is obvious as they warm and the halogen pattern mostly fades away. Either going to add the Mini D2S or have H3 fogs and the big projectors in the next build. These fit, and the pattern is quite fine. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RON...m-lens-projector-car-styling/32919564534.html
Or get Mori MD2S 5.0's...:)
cheers,
Douglas
ps. needed to update the projector linque. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUT...ctor-Blue-Film-Lens-Auto-Car/32932906839.html

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah if I had a Jetta I would wire them simultaneously but that's not an issue since I have a Golf...

V2.0 will be utilizing D2S 5.0s from Morimoto. Plus will have fog light. I will retro into stock buckets. I'll likely start a new thread and reference both these threads to each other.

As well, I'd like to house everything inside the headlight. No wires coming out the back. Just ordered everything today

TomSully93

TDI
VW Golf MK4
Wiring trouble

This thread is great and the only one of its kind I can find! But i was wondering if you could give me some more info on how you actually wired it up?
Also, I see that you’re projector was for H1 bulbs but you used a h4 Ballast. Did you have to modify the projector in order to get the bulb to fit? Was the bulb you used dual beam or was it a single beam bulb?
I’ve been trying to wrap my head around doing this with my spare set and it’s driving me insane.

Trying to revive the thread :D

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
This thread is great and the only one of its kind I can find! But i was wondering if you could give me some more info on how you actually wired it up?
Also, I see that you’re projector was for H1 bulbs but you used a h4 Ballast. Did you have to modify the projector in order to get the bulb to fit? Was the bulb you used dual beam or was it a single beam bulb?
I’ve been trying to wrap my head around doing this with my spare set and it’s driving me insane.
Trying to revive the thread :D
The H1 bulbs are completely unrelated to the H4 connection on the harness. There is no such thing as an H4 ballast... Ballasts all have standard connections, it's the driver to fire the bulb. The projector was an H1 projector, which takes H1 bulb. Also, Bi-Xenon (which this entire thread is based around) means that the projector has a shutter mounted to it which is used to execute low and high beams. Dual beam bulb? no such thing...I think you're referring to when you use a single bulb which is moved to change the low and high beam and is magnetically activated. This thread is not utilizing a single bulb which provides high and low, that's mostly for people who have 1 single bulb that pulls high and low beam duties. They put them in standard housings, which is a big no-no.

I covered the wiring pretty thoroughly on on page 2 of the thread, what exactly are you having trouble with?

I'll try to break it down a little bit.

The H4 HID harness is the controller for the entire HID system.

But, the harness needs power when the headlights are turned on to activate the system.

You'll notice with the H4 connection on the harness there is a powered hi and lo wire (s) and then there's a common ground.

On your car OEM, when you turn on your headlight switch, it sends low beam power to the internal harness within the headlight housing, to the low beam plug. This lights up your bulbs. You need to "harness" the power of this low beam signal and send it to the "hot" low beam wire on your harness.

This was the 2 pronged grey and black plug that goes into your low beam plug within the housing. The black wire will be grounded, the grey wire will be tied into your "hot" low wire on the harness.

Now, when you activate your high beams via the stick on the column, it also sends power to the high beam socket/harness within the housing. That's where the red wired splitter comes in. Make it easy on yourself and just plug 1 end into the high beam plug to draw that power....then plug the female side of that into your LED bulb or whichever hi bulb you choose. Connect the "split" section of that to the shutter on the projector. Now when you activate hi's, you'll have the high beams on the projector and the OEM high beams come on. Very good for dark backroads, but honestly, the HID high beams are so bright they drown out the LED high beam bulb I have. Even on my truck, my H1 highs drown out my light bar...they're that bright. So it's up to you if you even want to use a high beam, but I did...in case for some reason I lost the harness relay (and lows), I'd still have high beams to get me home.

If you do it this way, nothing will connect to the "hot" high beam wire on the relay harness because you are not using the high beam portion of the harness (ie you don't need to provide power to the high "hot" since your high beams and projector shutters are all being activated by OEM power).

Hope this helps

TomSully93

TDI
VW Golf MK4
I get it now (I think)

If you do it this way, nothing will connect to the "hot" high beam wire on the relay harness because you are not using the high beam portion of the harness (ie you don't need to provide power to the high "hot" since your high beams and projector shutters are all being activated by OEM power).

Yeah I think that is how i will approach it. It seems less complicated (at least to me) to splice the shutter of my factory high beam and i can use my halogens to 'flash'.

Thanks for all your help

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah I think that is how i will approach it. It seems less complicated (at least to me) to splice the shutter of my factory high beam and i can use my halogens to 'flash'.
Thanks for all your help
Not sure our terminology is the same but you shouldn't be splicing anything with my method. It should all be plug and play, except you will need to tie the low beam plug's (the gray and black pigtailed one) wires to the harness to power the system. Ie gray goes to the low beam hot on the harness, and black goes to ground. Then that plug goes into the factory low beam female connector

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Figured I'd post an update. Since I completed V2.0 retrofit, these (V1.0) were sold to a happy VW enthusiast who just picked up a Mk4 Golf. Very glad they went to a good home and will be much appreciated.