11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Haven’t been following this thread at all. Pondering a last minute add on of 2-3.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
When to purchase the tickets?
You will purchase auto show tickets individually at the door. No group tickets this year because their minimums are too high.

You can purchase Henry Ford tickets anytime online. I recommend sooner rather than later.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I want to see the Henry Ford Museum. Anyone else? I won’t have a car....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I want to see the Henry Ford Museum. Anyone else? I won’t have a car....
The museum and the factory are literally across the street from one another. The factory tour actually starts with a shuttle bus ride from the museum to the factory. You shouldn’t have any problems catching back up with the group, and I’m sure there will be others who want to do the museum.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'd like to ask if most of you carpool from the hotel to the show and activities after the show? Would save on parking fees at Cobo Center and the Henry Ford Museum.

I was checking out ordering tickets for the Henry Ford and it appears that a $6.00 parking fee is mandatory for each ticket order. :eek: Only way to get around it is to have more than one person on the same ticket order it appears. Just seems like an unnecessary waste of funds if some of us buy separate tickets then carpool for the day.

Using the example of 4 people in one car possible to spend $24.00 ($6.00 x 4) on parking fees when $6.00 would cover it provided all 4 people are on the same ticket order made in advance. I assume $6.00 would be charged for parking if tickets are paid for at time of entry to the Henry Ford Museum parking lot. And of course ordering tickets / parking fee online is non-refundable and non-transferable / can't change date so can't modify an order after it is submitted.

I get Lawson's suggestion to order tickets in advance so was wondering about making carpool arrangements with others. Know it would be easiest to do in person at the Friday meet and greet/dinner but depending on demand for tickets may be too late to order same by then.

Any ideas here, people? My plan is to order my ticket tomorrow (Tuesday) night including that $6.00 "is it absolutely necessary?" parking fee if no advance carpooling arrangements will be possible. And yes, if carpooling all carpoolers can split the parking fee cost.

I'm coming by myself so was hoping to carpool with someone to have company / conversation during the driving portions of this GTG. Know this is a non-issue for a bunch coming out together such as Lawson's group from VA or Peter's NE crew but not as simple for the cheapskates traveling alone like myself. :eek: Any thoughts here on my observations, people? :confused:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So there is nobody going who has NOT yet ordered a ticket for the Henry Ford and wants to carpool? I do realize those of you coming in a "full car" likely have already made arrangements for tickets/carpooling but surely there are still a couple of individuals out there that haven't bought tickets yet...

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hate to bail on you guys but I am going to Phoenix that weekend. Just canceled my room so if you want one in the area of the group its available. Two doubles.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I really wouldn't lose your mind about this...what happens when the group gets ready to move is everyone meets up in the Hotel Lobby and people go with folks who have space....except for folks not staying at the Hotel...
You're overlooking the point about ordering tickets to the Henry Ford in advance which includes parking fees. $6.00 can buy a lunch so if advance arrangements can be made to carpool that group can save a few bucks in parking fees (which are MANDATORY on each ticket purchase online - it is NOT an option!). Go check it out yourself if you don't believe me:

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/ford-rouge-factory-tour/tickets-and-hours/

This stems from Lawson's recommendation to order tickets ahead of time and I was checking the details out. Perhaps you are skipping the tour and museum in which case yeah, none of this will matter to you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If someone buys my ticket/pass/whatever for the museum I will pay you back when I get there. I would like to go.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You're overlooking the point about ordering tickets to the Henry Ford in advance which includes parking fees. $6.00 can buy a lunch so if advance arrangements can be made to carpool that group can save a few bucks in parking fees (which are MANDATORY on each ticket purchase online - it is NOT an option!). Go check it out yourself if you don't believe me:
https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/ford-rouge-factory-tour/tickets-and-hours/
This stems from Lawson's recommendation to order tickets ahead of time and I was checking the details out. Perhaps you are skipping the tour and museum in which case yeah, none of this will matter to you.
If you buy four tickets, I don’t think you’ll have any problem selling them to people in our group who want to save on parking.

The mandatory parking fee is annoying... I won’t even be parking in their lot. I’m not going to worry about it though... already paid.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If someone buys my ticket/pass/whatever for the museum I will pay you back when I get there. I would like to go.
Be happy to buy you a ticket. Just to clarify - are you interested in the Henry Ford Museum or the Ford Rouge Factory Tour?

If you buy four tickets, I don’t think you’ll have any problem selling them to people in our group who want to save on parking.
The mandatory parking fee is annoying... I won’t even be parking in their lot. I’m not going to worry about it though... already paid.
I realize as something new to the mix sorting out the details brings the odd unexpected thing like those weird mandatory parking fees at the Henry Ford. Not a deal breaker but as I said before if we all buy separate tickets we all pay that same stupid parking fee.

I may go ahead and get 4 tickets for the Rouge Tour as you suggest. Thanks for popping in on this.

BTW is there a place in mind yet for Friday's dinner? I know we try to accommodate everyone's tastes/diet and recall there was some discussion about this last year beforehand. There is a place called Bayou Grill in Belleville which is about 8 miles east of the hotel. They specialize in New Orleans style Cajun food and have a full bar - here's a link:

https://www.thebayougrill.com/

I'm not fussy about what kind of food we have. Happened to see this place on the map when I was looking at stuff in the area of the hotel and thought it may be of interest to others...

oilhammer

TDI
Be happy to buy you a ticket. Just to clarify - are you interested in the Henry Ford Museum or the Ford Rouge Factory Tour?
I realize as something new to the mix sorting out the details brings the odd unexpected thing like those weird mandatory parking fees at the Henry Ford. Not a deal breaker but as I said before if we all buy separate tickets we all pay that same stupid parking fee.
I may go ahead and get 4 tickets for the Rouge Tour as you suggest. Thanks for popping in on this.
BTW is there a place in mind yet for Friday's dinner? I know we try to accommodate everyone's tastes/diet and recall there was some discussion about this last year beforehand. There is a place called Bayou Grill in Belleville which is about 8 miles east of the hotel. They specialize in New Orleans style Cajun food and have a full bar - here's a link:
I'm not fussy about what kind of food we have. Happened to see this place on the map when I was looking at stuff in the area of the hotel and thought it may be of interest to others...
I am interested in both.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Based on time, I believe it's going to be one or the other, you won't have time to do both the tour and the museum.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I was thinking about dinner at Arbor Brewing Company again (formerly Corner Brewery), as it was a big hit last year. They have a great beer selection as well a great food menu. The former Ypsi residents particularly like this place, so it'll be a nice treat for those returning from far away lands like Virginia and California.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Based on time, I believe it's going to be one or the other, you won't have time to do both the tour and the museum.
Correct. Unfortunately both places close at 5pm, so there will only be time to do one or the other. I believe the museum is open on Sunday if anyone wants to spend some extra time in town exploring. Several of us won't be heading home until Monday and we were thinking about doing go karting or something else on Sunday after breakfast.

oilhammer

TDI
I may up for some some of that with you guys. :) I took Monday off, too, so as long as the weather isn't too terrible I will have plenty of time to get home.

Besides, I am 4motioning it up there (oil leaks, coolant leaks, and warning lights and all), so I ain't skeered of some snow. Now the 25 MPG is gonna make my pooper pucker.... :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I may up for some some of that with you guys. :) I took Monday off, too, so as long as the weather isn't too terrible I will have plenty of time to get home.
Besides, I am 4motioning it up there (oil leaks, coolant leaks, and warning lights and all), so I ain't skeered of some snow. Now the 25 MPG is gonna make my pooper pucker.... :cool:
LOL! Sounds like an adventure! The weather for our return trip home looks questionable, although it's still over a week out, so anything could happen. No worries either way... AWD for the win!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I might be up for some karting after breakfast, although I will have to head back home on Sunday.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Looks like I will be making the Journey after picking up a new TDI in NY.