Can low hanging sun visors be tightened up?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi Folks,

Both sun visors in my 06 Jetta are hanging low...about an inch from the ceiling. I searched a bit but could not find any info on this at all. I'm assuming that they should snap up fairly tight to the headliner? (They do in my Golf).

Can anything be done with them or is replacement the only option?

The headliner was replaced in the car a few months ago, and I don't know if the visors were hanging low prior to that or not. I bought the car and then didn't really do anything with it before it went in to the body shop. I only mention this in case there's something that was screwed up during re-installation.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
They connect in two different ways. Let's talk about the driver side: on the left, there is a hook that gets inserted in a opening in the roof.Kind of hard to see, but through it goes the bolt that holds the sun-visor in place. The part number is 1K0 867 633., first pic in the link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5184224-To-those-who-have-removed-headliners

On the right, there is a screw that connects it straight to the headliner.
1k0867633 it's a one time use part, you will need a pair of pliers to remove the old ones, and then insert the new ones. I've just installed a new headliner in my car, I have two extra. PM me your address and I'll mail them to you for free, as you gave me a good lead yesterday in solving my battery drain problem.
Do not over tighten the screws.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
They connect in two different ways. Let's talk about the driver side: on the left, there is a hook that gets inserted in a opening in the roof.Kind of hard to see, but through it goes the bolt that holds the sun-visor in place. The part number is 1K0 867 633., first pic in the link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5184224-To-those-who-have-removed-headliners

On the right, there is a screw that connects it straight to the headliner.
1k0867633 it's a one time use part, you will need a pair of pliers to remove the old ones, and then insert the new ones. I've just installed a new headliner in my car, I have two extra. PM me your address and I'll mail them to you for free, as you gave me a good lead yesterday in solving my battery drain problem.
Do not over tighten the screws.
Thank you, that is a nice offer, but I can't see how they would help my cause...unless I'm missing something. My visor seems to be attached rock solid...no issues there. It's just that when it's flipped up, it doesn't go tight to the headliner like I feel it should.

Does that make any sense? It's anchored/attached just fine...it's just that when they pivot up, they don't go tight to the headliner.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I understand now. I don't know how to fix that problem, but two months ago I have replaced my headliner, A,B,C pillars, sun visors and overhead console. I went with the black ones that GLIs have. I still have the grey sun visors, and they were working fine. The driver side even has the built in garage door opener, and I have fabricated a plug in adapter for it. If you cannot fix yours, let me know, I will give them to you for free. The advice for battery drain you gave me was priceless.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
I had to remove my left visor recently to run some wires.

I regret doing that now.

The damned thing is not quite mounted right and I suspect I hosed up the retaining clip nut thing.

It looks like it goes sunvisor>headliner>black plastic thing>throw away vw nut.

Am I correct here?

Since putting it back on it doesn't sit quite right and definitely didn't feel right when tightening it down.

I'll tear back into it one of these days after I pull the headliner down on one in the wrecking yard so I can fully see what's going on up there.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
Did you ever find out what's wrong with your visors? I have the same problem. I had a shop replace the headliner and ever since then, the visors hang about 1" or so low.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I haven't had my Jetta for over 2 years so things are fading. But the visor is attached on either the left for the drivers side or the right for the passenger side.
Now maybe am I remembering something wrong, but is there not a clip near the center where the visor clips into as well ?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I just finished my headliner this past weekend, so it's all fresh in my mind....

The metal clips you're referencing are 2 parts. I didn't know you could order them separately, but they can be reset to use again.

It is a spring metal piece that holds a rectangular threaded insert (nut). You need to bend in the tabs on either side of the rectangular nut so that you can slip the clip back in the hole in the roof. (the rectangular nut sits above the tabs to insert into roof) When you screw the piece tight, the drawing action will pull the nut downward which forces the tabs out and that holds it in place.

To the OP, the screws for your visors may just be loose, hopefully you can re-tighten them, if not, you will have to lower the headliner partially to gain access to these clips.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Pick one up from a junkyard or buy one on eBay... the spring or whatever it is does wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk