Post 7/1/16 buyer being offered reduced restitution

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I review the forum EVERY DAY and I have personally turned in 10 post 7/1/16 2.0's and have not seen this happen. I have accumulated 4 more of the 2.0's over the last couple months and waited for all the ppwk before entering them into the claims site. Last night the first two I entered returned reduced restitution (~75%) initial offers.
I called the claims line and they only wanted to reset my "portal", which didn't exactly answer my question. I declined and decided to post this instead and see if this was happening to anyone else.

I did enter the VINs on a secondary login before I bought them and it showed full restitution. Double checked that login now and it still shows full restitution for the VINs. (I can always move forward with this login account as it it does have real info)
What's the deal, why is it offering reduced restitution all of a sudden and this may possibly mean that others are getting offered less than "owed" and not even be aware?

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
People who bought post September 2015 were always supposed to have been offered reduced restitution (because the situation was known to them) - the only question until July 2016 was "by how much".

If you were not offered less restitution in prior buybacks in which you bought the car after September 2015, that was an error. It always should have been reduced.

The situation has something to do with "eligible sellers" having filed for claims for selling the car post September 2015. If the car had an eligible-seller claim filed already, it stands to reason that whoever bought it next would not be eligible for a full restitution payment.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I agree in theory and this was debated months ago. We all seemed to come to agreement that post 6/28 buyers were eligible for the 100% restitution and I am not aware of a variance in that result.
It just seems very odd to me that I have two logins and they are showing different amounts on the same VIN.
I will be filing under the secondary login and will see how it shakes out.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If you were not offered less restitution in prior buybacks in which you bought the car after September 2015, that was an error.
No, it was no error. The FTC Consent Order is clear that post-6/28/16 buyers get full restitution. Owners who bought between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16 get reduced restitution (50%, plus a share of the remaining 50% equal to the share of the Eligible Sellers' funding pool that's remaining after they filed their claims), but those who bought after 6/28/16 get full restitution. That may not have been the intent of the parties (and I'll freely admit that I don't see how it makes any sense), but it's the clear language of the document.

If the car had an eligible-seller claim filed already, it stands to reason that whoever bought it next would not be eligible for a full restitution payment.
Nothing in any of the 2-liter settlements in the US depends on whether a seller of that car filed a claim. And even if it did, the facts @DrgRnnr is reporting aren't consistent with that. If what you're saying were correct, and an Eligible Seller of those cars had filed a claim and been paid, @DrgRnnr should be seeing 50% restitution, not ~75%.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Seems to me what is happening is you confused their system by registering same VIN under different logins. For your later entry of 4/11 their system is probably showing a previous VIN registration of the same vehicle and maybe assuming an eligible seller. Thus leaving your 4/11 registration being entitled to 50% restitution and a portion of the remaining eligible seller's pool, like what DanB36 stated.

You should make a third and fourth accounts and register the same vehicle under these too!

Why would you register the car more than once under multiple accounts??

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
@jdyno718 I used this process for the bulk of my cars. The secondary account was used for determining values before I made an offer on a vehicle. At no point did I use the secondary account to accept or go any further then the initial offer screen. Many of the other "carbitrager's" out there have used the process before completing purchases, so I don't believe the secondary account would have caused this result.

@brian_e this specific car is a 2010 JSW and I agree the values are right. My question is specifically in regards to the partial restitution being offered for a post 6/28 purchase. This is the first example I have seen where this was being offered at less than 100%.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I THINK its because of two "claims" in progress. Just use secondary account to complete the buyback and thats it.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I'm seeing the same issue on a vehicle where I postponed on filing a claim. The restitution amount is now ~75%.

Possible glitch in the system now or before??? As usual claims chat is unable to answer why this is occurring.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I emailed Cabraser Wednesday. She did respond immediately that she would look into the matter. I'll update if I get further response.

clone1008

TDI
2006.5 Jetta, 2014 Passat TDI SE
How would this process work if I am leasing my car and have already filed a claim and set a turn in date? Can I reset the portal, payoff the lease get title into my name and then sell to my fiance put title into her name and then file a new claim as her being the owner? Would she be eligible as a post 6-28-2016 buyer and receive 100% buyback?

AMDTDI

TDI
2015 GSW (M)
I've just had the same problem. Logged onto system and offer was $19068 made up of $13425 for car and the rest restitution. I changed the purchase date after checking the exact date I purchased the car (from 7/1/16 to 7/7/16) and the offer was reduced by about $1200. As far as I can remember the change is all restitution - down to $4432.

Various on-line calculators agree with the original numbers. 2014 JSW, DSG, 178k. Hopefully just a glitch.

NamesLucky

TDI
14 TDI Jetta
I've just had the same problem. Logged onto system and offer was $19068 made up of $13425 for car and the rest restitution. I changed the purchase date after checking the exact date I purchased the car (from 7/1/16 to 7/7/16) and the offer was reduced by about $1200. As far as I can remember the change is all restitution - down to $4432.
Various on-line calculators agree with the original numbers. 2014 JSW, DSG, 178k. Hopefully just a glitch.
I have a couple more data points. 75% restitution for my car (ran as someone that would purchase my leased car from me). Playing with the purchase date the restitution value switches on September 18th 2015. My car has been leased by me since 2014.

I also re-ran ( with second account that had VIN already in for calculations) a car I have already turned in (for 100% restitution) and get the same 75% restitution offer.

Hopefully this is an error, either that or VW found some loophole to pay anyone purchasing after Sept 18th 2015 less even without a eligible seller claiming anything.

clone1008

TDI
So what do we do in these reduced offer situations? Who do we contact to see if it's an error?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
This kind of happened to me...

I started a claim to get accurate offer amount. Then realized I put wrong owner name. Call them to change it and they said I need to create a new account, but was assured that amount will be the same... BS

Made a new account and restitution payment is about 25% less than on original account.

clone1008

TDI
This kind of happened to me...

I started a claim to get accurate offer amount. Then realized I put wrong owner name. Call them to change it and they said I need to create a new account, but was assured that amount will be the same... BS

Made a new account and restitution payment is about 25% less than on original account.
Haven't figured out the reason for this yet but my question to you is did you cancel the first account or is it still in the system along with the new account you setup? Meaning are there 2 separate claim numbers in the system?

clone1008

TDI
Anyone have an actual offer for one of these reduced restitution cars yet?
I think most of us, myself included are only seeing the reduction when the initial figure is being given before we actually move into the claims process. So the hope is that it's a glitch in the system.

Ryan2200

TDI
Golf
Anyone get a clear answer on this yet? I have bought several cars post 6/28/16 and have received the full 100% restitution on all of them. I thought I was going crazy as I was just trying to register another car and it was only giving me 75% of the restitution after trying several different accounts.. I would try to call the claims portal they are a waste of time..

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Haven't figured out the reason for this yet but my question to you is did you cancel the first account or is it still in the system along with the new account you setup? Meaning are there 2 separate claim numbers in the system?
Yup have two claims open. Both in "submit your paperwork" stage.

Gonna go ahead and submit under original full restitution account and see what happens.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
In my case we have found that 4 separate people have filed a claim against my vehicle by entering the online posted VIN.

I want to make it crystal clear, that while we may have identified one issue, there could be another in relation to a previous owner claims that may have actually been filed on time and did qualify. We will see.

We have also identified that another claim is bogus, so here's what happens when the "hunters" track down used TDIs and complete the claim form as part of their pre-purchase. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. And to the folks with multiple claims initiated from burner accounts for vehicles which you don't own, cancel the damn claims! Call or chat online and request to have those claims deleted.

Last edited:

NamesLucky

TDI
14 TDI Jetta
In my case we have found that 4 separate people have filed a claim against my vehicle by entering the online posted VIN.

I want to make it crystal clear, that while we may have identified one issue, there could be another in relation to a previous owner claims that may have actually been filed on time and did qualify. We will see.

We have also identified that another claim is bogus, so here's what happens when the "hunters" track down used TDIs and complete the claim form as part of their pre-purchase. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. And to the folks with multiple claims initiated from burner accounts for vehicles which you don't own, cancel the damn claims! Call or chat online and request to have those claims deleted.
Has anyone even confirmed closing all extra accounts brings the calculated offer amount back to 100%? I have not seen evidence of this. Until this very questionable theory these extra "buyback check" accounts have had no effect or harm to anyone.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Has anyone even confirmed closing all extra accounts brings the calculated offer amount back to 100%? I have not seen evidence of this. Until this very questionable theory these extra "buyback check" accounts have had no effect or harm to anyone.
It's simply a theory at this point.

The fact is, at this point, no one can answer why this is happening, but after speaking with class counsel, this seems somewhat logical.

The buyback portal is using software to generate the offer.

clone1008

TDI
It's simply a theory at this point.

The fact is, at this point, no one can answer why this is happening, but after speaking with class counsel, this seems somewhat logical.

The buyback portal is using software to generate the offer.
So you mention speaking with class counsel. So what are they saying as to the legal part of it? Glitch or not are post 7/16 owners going to get 100% restitution?

NamesLucky

TDI
14 TDI Jetta
So you mention speaking with class counsel. So what are they saying as to the legal part of it? Glitch or not are post 7/16 owners going to get 100% restitution?
I would like to know this as well. If they confirmed that this is an error many of us will be very happy. I'm currently closing my second "buyback check" account to see if it affects the other. I should be the only one to have accounts on my car that I have leased since 2014.

clone1008

TDI
I would like to know this as well. If they confirmed that this is an error many of us will be very happy. I'm currently closing my second "buyback check" account to see if it affects the other. I should be the only one to have accounts on my car that I have leased since 2014.
I just cancelled both of my accounts one was a claim that I took all the way to setting an appointment as a lease turn in and the other was one that I had setup just to see what the buyback amount would be. I am almost afraid to set another one up to see what happens until we know what the deal is.

It would be nice if someone who has spoken to class counsel would share what the total consensus is.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
We all want to figure this out guys, I'm simply posting what is happening in my case.

I never stated that anyone would receive 100% restitution. There are a series of claims tied to my vehicle, one of which may be triggering the reduced restitution.

Class counsel is researching why this is happening.

You are free to contact them regarding your individual case.

Class counsel now has full access to view all claims filed against an individual VIN, previously VW had not provided them with access to this information.

My individual case showed there were a total of 4 claims against my VIN.

One of these claims appears to be from a former owner whom at some point sold the vehicle (this may actually be a valid claim).

There are also bogus claims filed with a similar purchase date as my *ACTUAL* purchase date.

clone1008

TDI
We all want to figure this out guys, I'm simply posting what is happening in my case.

I never stated that anyone would receive 100% restitution. There are a series of claims tied to my vehicle, one of which may be triggering the reduced restitution.

Class counsel is researching why this is happening.

You are free to contact them regarding your individual case.

Class counsel now has full access to view all claims filed against an individual VIN, previously VW had not provided them with access to this information.

My individual case showed there were a total of 4 claims against my VIN.

One of these claims appears to be from a former owner whom at some point sold the vehicle (this may actually be a valid claim).

There are also bogus claims filed with a similar purchase date as my *ACTUAL* purchase date.
Thanks for your clarification. I was just wondering if in your conversation with them that they had mentioned if a post 7/16 buyer who was deemed to be eligible is entitled to 100% restitution regardless of the online portal/software offer.