Timing belt skip

MECAMINO

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Ony one in the Windsor, ON area that can lend tools over the weekend for timing belt set up?

Car would not start last week during the sub zero weather. Pushed the car into the garage and fired it up the next morning, #@!#@ put it this way car sounded like tin cans smashing against each other???

Later during the weekend I pull the timing belt cover off, established top dead center on the cam and injector pump - found the crank to be retard 3 teeth.
I found the belt tensioner or the person who did the timing belt last at fault - The notch and the groove on the tensioner do not line up and the metel hockey stick looking retainer clip bent over rubbing against he tentioner and fraying the belt.

My mission is to set the crank and fire it up??? if it sound good I will buy new belt and tensioner if not - car may be going for sale.

I think I will be ok beacuse the HYD lifters can absorb a little push from the pistons, but the proof is in the pudding when she calls for fire in the hole...

Has anyone had this experience on a 97 Passat??

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
if it fires up the valves are not bent, you should be fine.

MECAMINO

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Yes it fires but does not sound good. Also when I turn the engine over by hand it gets to certain points where the engine stops, push harder then it continues to turn.
That stop tell me there is interferance between bottom end and top end.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
The resistance to turning the motor is normal. It should occur when you are finishing a compression stroke. But don't turn it anymore until you have the new belt and tensioner installed and everything lined up.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
To relieve the compression, take out the glow plugs and it should spin around with little effort. That way you won't be mislead by compression strokes.

Another way to see if damage has occurred is to pull the valve cover. You will be able to see the lifters and if there is any impressions from the valves.

MECAMINO

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Yup - not compression, when internal interferance occurs - it's a stop. Back up the 1/4 turn then crank hits again in the same spot. happen twice per 1 cam revolution.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Do a quick check before changing the belt.
Reset the tensioner as best you can and then turn the engine over by hand backward two crank revolutions. If the timing of the crank to the cam and pump changes whether going forward by hand or backward by hand then investigate the crank timing belt sprocket for signs that it is loose on the crankshaft.

And don't think fluids in an enclosed volume is like a waterbed. Under pressure, as in a cam follower, the force transmission exceeds that of your brake system. The metal will yield and will be damaged before the oil.
So turn by hand with prudence and awareness.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I think it's too late now as the damage is probably already done. I wouldnt be surprised at all if you have to pull the head due to bent valves. I might consider doing that just to be on the safe side instead of waiting for something to come apart in 20,000 miles.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
MECAMINO said:
Yes it fires but does not sound good. Also when I turn the engine over by hand it gets to certain points where the engine stops, push harder then it continues to turn.
That stop tell me there is interferance between bottom end and top end.
you may be just touching the valves, realign the timing and cam/crank and see what happens. If you had bent valves the motor wouldnt start.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I agree with 90, pull the head and do the inspection at the least.

Easier to handle just a few valves than a whole longblock.

If you had the can't turn the motor over comment with just a TB reaplacement it's one thing; having the engine running and sounding like tin cans and then unable to crank it around without interference... You will be lucky to have just valve damage but do prepare yourself in case at this point. If the valves are stressed from light kissing then they have shown themselves to last about 10-20K before failing and causing a far more catastrophic scenario. Find someone if you don't feel comfortable pulling the head off.

MECAMINO

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Bella is running like a champ, did not have to pull the head off - cycled the glow plugs twice as usual... no hesitation... -11 outside this morning - fired right up again. Just need to fix the hesitation problem now when the weather warms up.

Anyone need timing belt tools in South Western ON, Windsor area let me know, be glad to help anyone.

MECAMINO

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
bmwM5power said:
so what was wrong and what did you do?
The timing was out three teeth, reset the valve timing and that was it. Engine sounds great, car has 314 thous kms - I drive 240 km daily round trip work - I will update by the end of the month if she's a survivior. I know it's a VW and it will survive. :D:D:D