2015 TDI Jetta MKVI

moto7man

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Six Speed
I bought my diesel in April 2017, its a six speed manual. It has 26000 miles on it. The car has been awesome. At 20000 miles I noticed a small coolant loss in the reservoir. I took to my dealer last week and the water pump is leaking. I have not actually seen the waterpump yet to determine if the gasket was leaking or waterpump was going bad and leaking through the weep hole. I will update after I inspect the parts. VW is covering it including a new timing belt and all idlers and tensioner.

I'm not really happy that the dealer is wrenching on my car that only has 26000 miles. Has anyone else had this type of waterpump failure?

Last edited:

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
I would be very happy new parts at there expense no charge be glad something less u will have to worry about ...

moto7man

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Six Speed
Well here is the update. The water pump bearing was failing and leaking coolant through the bearing. Some of the leaking coolant was leaking onto the timing belt. So, they installed a new water pump and gasket, new timing belt with new tensioner, all new idler pullies at zero cost to me. My concern was that the car is only 14 months old and to have a major failure like this one is alarming.

I have owned several Japanese cars and I have never had a major problem with them like this problem with the VW.It runs fine now, we will see. I bought two of the TDIs, I bought the 2nd one last December and it only has 5000 miles now.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Except that the 2015 Jetta has the EA 288 Engine which has a very complex Cooling system I wouldn’t touch it that is why in some cases Warranties are good!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't call a failed water pump a minor issue. Especially when it can lead to a timing belt failure or overheating. From the number of failed water pumps on the 15's, I'd have to say the OE pumps are defective/substandard.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
I’m on my third 2015 Jetta tdi. And have had no issues with water pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk