Tips for getting an entire A4 TDI to 500k?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI

my wife and i have two new TDIs and we each drive 25-30k/year. we plan to meticulously maintain both PDs with the hope of getting ~500k out of each of them (over 15-20+years). we've both owned VWs before but not A4s, and we're looking for total car tips to help us acheive the 500k goals.

so, on A4s what are the things that wear quickly our could be problematic but can be helped with preventative TLC?

ideally we'd like tips in on all aspects of A4 TDIs: engine/electical, exterior, and interior.

the car i owned prior to my new Golf was a '84 Volvo with a VW turbo diesel engine. it had multiple owners and was not well maintained before i owned it. it's now in its 21st year of use and the guy i sold it to still drives it daily. this experience makes me optimistic that a well maintained one-owner A4 TDI can easily drive well for 20+ years and beyond.

thanks!

RobNJC

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005, Silver-Gray

I don't have 500K on my 99.5 new style TDI Jetta, but I have 222,000 now. I'm no expert, but I do the following:

1) I always use the recommended oil
2) I drive a lot of highway miles
3) I have changed the timimg belts when recommended

So far, so good, and it drives like new (well, almost like new).......

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black

Change that oil and those filters! Make sure the timing belt, rollers, tensioner, etc. are all replaced per schedule. Will be interesting to see if these cars can last 20 years. It's obvious that the engine can run hundreds of thousands of miles, but will the electronics give trouble-free operation over time? No one knows yet! No reason they shouldn't, but we don't have practical data. Some VWs tend to have electrical issues eventually - sometimes sooner than later.

There's no reason why it can't be MADE to run 20 years...just expect to replace components along the way like you would have to with other cars. There will most likely be some annoying problems that appear time to time, even while the car is relatively new. These are (in general) not trouble-free cars...learn to do your own wrenching and you'll be a step ahead. I wouldn't own this car if I didn't do a lot of my own maintenance...

You might look into some of the enhanced oil and fuel filtering systems that can be obtained in the aftermarket.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

By far the most important maintenance item for your TDI is premium quality diesel fuel. Find a station that sells Amoco Premier or BP Supreme, or some other verified good quality fuel. Use fuel additive EVERY tank. Also try running 20% biodiesel, weather permitting. Quality fuel protects the fuel pump, prevents soot buildup in the oil and intake, and keeps your injectors firing properly. It's so much more important than oil, it isn't even funny.

You can run good quality oil to 10-15k miles no problem (given good fuel). Get a bypass filter and go even farther. Make sure the car heats up to full operating temp every time you drive it (meaning no short trips - under 15 miles). Most of the wear on any engine (gas or diesel) comes from cold starting, so start it up as infrequently as possible.

Your shocks will wear out in 50k miles. Wheel bearings will go eventually, and so will alot of other stuff. Just replace em as they wear out and the car will drive well for as long as you want it to.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

SUNRG, I put 60k miles on my Golf in the first year, so I've also been thinking about reaching 500k miles.

I don't think you gain anything with a custom or after-market air filter or oil bypass. But the CAT 2-micron fuel filter is a very good idea, I think. Not only does it work a lot better than the OEM filter, but over the long run it's cheaper.

I think the Old Navy CCV filter (made by Stanco) is a sensible addition. It may not improve longevity, but it will keep your intake cleaner, longer.

Everything else is just doing the required maintenance at the right time. Using the best motor oil for your engine (505.01 spec for PDs). With two TDIs in the family, doing your own maintenance will save money AND prevent the dealership from screwing something up.

One other thing: 303 Aerospace Protectant, in the convenient 1/2 gallon size.

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather

One other thing: 303 Aerospace Protectant, in the convenient 1/2 gallon size.
Maybe I heard of this stuff from you, can't remember. I ordered the protectorant, the cleaner, the wiper cleaners, the windshield washer tablets, the shower protector and the fabric guard. Have used all but the fabric guard. All of it is great. I even used the protectorant on the hood of my black Jetta.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

Yes, change the oil, but don't do it more than every 10k miles. It's unnecessary and may even be worse for your car. See this analysis if you're curious:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I would agree with zanzibar that using good fuel and additives is probably one of the better things to focus on, if for no other reason than to prolong the life of the expensive injection pump. Lube the door hinges, keep the car clean, clean behind fender liners and the drain holes on the underside of the doors...

RobNJC

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005, Silver-Gray

Amoco/BP is the same company now and I don't have many of them in my area. Is there any other oil company that has a "better" diesel than the rest? In my travels, I can get diesel from Hess, Citgo, Mobil, Exxon and an occasional Texaco.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

according to the BP website, the premium Amoco/BP diesel is only available in "IA, IL, IN, MI, and WI"

in SW Virginia some of the stations say "premium" but supposedly one diesel truck comes around and supplies all the stations in our area. i just try to get diesel from the frequently used/high volume stations so hopefully i'm getting fresh fuel. then i blend it with ASTM B100 to make B20 to B50 biodiesel.

i've also been using PowerService Diesel Kleen, DFS (winter only) and Marvel Mystery Oil as additives every tank. i just ordered a case of stanadyne (six 1/2 gallon containers) and i plan to switch to it once i'm out of PS additives. when i hand pump the fuel from my home biodiesel tank into our TDIs it goes through two filters - a 15 micron water blocking filter and a 10 micron particulate filter - both of which have water seperators with drain valves on the bottom.

i'm glad to hear others confirm fuel quality is critical to longevity, and i hope after using additives, blending with bio-d, and double filtering our end product is a fuel our PDs enjoy!

thanks for all the tips so far - they're great - and keep'm comin'

marshalgene

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Silver

The thing that concerns me about extended oil life in our cars is that there is a significant soot buildup in diesel engines that is too fine for oil filters to remove. I am of the opinion that the pure carbon in the soot is actually a lubricant, (anyone recall the black graphite oil marketed a few years back?), but the other components in the soot may be sulfuric, acidic, etc. Those components worry me most.

FWIW, I have a 1980 Rabbit Convertable with a 1.6 liter gas engine, bought new in 1979, that has almost 300,000 miles on it, and the engine has never been opened. It has used Mobil 1 since the very beginning, never changed more often than every 10,000 miles, and still shows no significant signs of wear.

I strongly believe in Mobil 1, and I have been using Delvac on my 1999.5 Jetta TDI since I bought it used over a year ago with 106,000 miles on it. I just passed 116,000 miles, and will change the oil in the next few days, and will continue the pattern of 10,000 mile oil/filter changes for the forseeable future.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

The 500K milestone is doable with the TDI...
The big hurtle is corrosion prevention...Keep the wheel wells flushed out at least semi-annually (check the crevis at the rear lower pocket of the wheel well for deposits of road sand/salt).
Address all paint chips as they happen with touch-up paint.
Wash the car (at least monthly).
Perform ALL scheduled maintenance with OEM quality parts.
Wash the engine compartment at least semi-annually.
Eliminate the EGR system...(don't just dial it down). EGR causes accelerated wear of the piston ring groove & rings.
Use the correct recommend eng. oil
And do not let anyone that is not familiar with your TDI engine perform maintenance /repairs.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na

<ul type="square"> [*]old navy ccv filter and/or delete the EGR system [*]amsoil remote oil by pass filter [*]Cat2 fuel filter [*]clean fuel amoco/bp with additives of your choice (power service, soyshield etc [*]stay out of the performance section its like cancer it will grow and grow [*]Good polish/waxes Meguires in the tan bottle and/or 3m products start now! [*]larger oil cooler/heat exchanger from the passat tdi check in the classifieds [*]www.tdiheater.com use it as much as possible in the winter [/list]

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed

All of the above including using a good quality synthetic oil (Delvac 1 is my personal choice).

As for the rest of the car, be careful with the glove box door. Don't put anything in there that will put extra stress on the door. They have a habit of breaking, and also turning on the glove box light if anything is pressing against it from the inside.

A couple of other things like lubricating the door seals to keep them moist (Vaseline?) and keeping everything else lubed (hinges and such).

Get a good dashmat and a good bra to protect the respective surfaces.

Don't "overuse" things. Shut, don't slam. Move the switch/lever, don't flick. When using the e-brake, just use a couple of notches. With my car, even at it's current mileage, it never takes more than 3 clicks to keep my car from rolling on fairly level ground. It irks me to no end when someone else drives my car, and I find the e-brake handle pointing up at a 45 degree angle, with enough force on the rear brakes to be able to hang it on a vertical wall.

Other than that, drive the limit, do all maintainance by the book using quality materials, and you'll do fine. It's worked for me so far.

Jeff in Texas
237,100 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001

Suprised not a soul mention "Drive it like you stole it".. Seriously though, I have a TDI owning friend who babys the car, shifts at 2400 and tells me its the only way to make the car last.

The one time I got my hands on his car and gave it a good run I left a worth track of built up soot. These engines need to be run and not be overly pampered IMHO!

You gotta touch the redline atleast once!

RobNJC

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005, Silver-Gray

I am not advocating exceeding the posted legal speed limit
, but I tend to drive my TDI relatively fast very regularly.....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

When using the e-brake, just use a couple of notches. With my car, even at it's current mileage, it never takes more than 3 clicks to keep my car from rolling on fairly level ground. It irks me to no end when someone else drives my car, and I find the e-brake handle pointing up at a 45 degree angle, with enough force on the rear brakes to be able to hang it on a vertical wall.
Okay, there's an example of something you should not do if you want your car to last 500 thousand miles.

You should not let anyone else drive your car.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI

When using the e-brake, just use a couple of notches. With my car, even at it's current mileage, it never takes more than 3 clicks to keep my car from rolling on fairly level ground. It irks me to no end when someone else drives my car, and I find the e-brake handle pointing up at a 45 degree angle, with enough force on the rear brakes to be able to hang it on a vertical wall.
Okay, there's an example of something you should not do if you want your car to last 500 thousand miles.

You should not let anyone else drive your car.
Agreed! I was speaking mainly of garages and dealers. And yes, if you want your car to last 500K miles, by all means keep it away from the dealership!!

As for "driving it like I stole it", don't go too far in either direction. I shift mine at around 3000-3500K rpm, and do lots of 70-75mph highway driving. In town, I shift around 2800-3000K rpm and cruise at 1900-2000K rpm. Everything works as it should and nothing has broken. It's worked for me so far. And I'm speaking of the entire car, not just the engine.

Jeff in Texas
237,100 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

(snip) there is a significant soot buildup in diesel engines that is too fine for oil filters to remove. I am of the opinion that the pure carbon in the soot is actually a lubricant, (anyone recall the black graphite oil marketed a few years back?), but the other components in the soot may be sulfuric, acidic, etc. Those components worry me most.

(snip) I have been using Delvac on my 1999.5 Jetta TDI since I bought it used over a year ago with 106,000 miles on it. I (snip) will continue the pattern of 10,000 mile oil/filter changes for the forseeable future.
__. Yup, the new "CI-4" oils are specifically designed to handle the soot, acids, and other chemicals in the oil. I think you're on exactly the right track. Good lubrication is VITAL!
'

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

(snip) I have been using Delvac on my 1999.5 Jetta TDI since I bought it used over a year ago with 106,000 miles on it. I (snip) will continue the pattern of 10,000 mile oil/filter changes for the forseeable future.
Yup, the new "CI-4" oils are specifically designed to handle the soot, acids, and other chemicals in the oil...
since the Castrol 505.01 is CF and apparently a synthetic blend, i've been doing 5k oil changes on our PDs. any opinions on this... i.e. is this a reasonable precaution for someone aiming for 500k - or a waste of money.

DrewD

Veteran Member

I am also sticking to a 5k oil change interval. I don't care if its a waste of money. I'll at least have the comfort of mind knowing I'm not not pushing my oil to its limits. If the oil was a 100% PAO or Group V base, then I'd consider 10k oil changes. Since its nothing more than a Group III base with a bunch of additives, I feel better w/ the 5k changes.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

i tend to agree with the more frequent oil changes.
without doing analysis i can't say for sure.
i decided to change every 5k until 20,000 miles
than go to 10k. 10k seems so high compared to the 3k ive
been doing on my gassers for the last 20 yrs.
hope they know what they are talking about...
only 482,000 more to go

Boobiwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Reflex Silver

i tend to agree with the more frequent oil changes.
without doing analysis i can't say for sure.
i decided to change every 5k until 20,000 miles
than go to 10k. 10k seems so high compared to the 3k ive
been doing on my gassers for the last 20 yrs.
hope they know what they are talking about...
only 482,000 more to go

If you tend to agree with more frequent oil changes, why are you then going to switch to longer intervals after 20k?

I see no reason why a deviation from recommended oil change intervals is necessary, provided you use the correct oil. Other more experienced members of this site have based their 10k intervals on oil analysis. (DBW, for example)

I'm sure you'll agree that motor oils have improved over the years. The myth of the 3,000 mile oil change interval will hopefully be a thing of the past, thanks to vastly superior synthetic motor oils. Anyone still hanging on to that myth really needs to re-examine.

TDI_04_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
Golt TDI, 2004, silver

I am also sticking to a 5k oil change interval. I don't care if its a waste of money. I'll at least have the comfort of mind knowing I'm not not pushing my oil to its limits. If the oil was a 100% PAO or Group V base, then I'd consider 10k oil changes. Since its nothing more than a Group III base with a bunch of additives, I feel better w/ the 5k changes.
I totally agree with this statement. I too will be doing 5K miles (or 8000Km) changes on my TDI-PD. If Amsoil comes out with PAO 505.01 Oil then I would trust 10K mile (or 16000Km) changes. PAO oils and a Bypass would easily give you 1 year or 20K mile old changes.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle

If there is one thing I would suggest, it would be to put the miles on fast. You'll have a better chance of making 500K if you put 100k on per year than if you only put on 10K. Never let 'em up for air. Lots of truck engines are making it to a million without overhaul these days, but they are the ones putting on 100K-150K (or more) per year. I think thermal cycles have a lot to do with it. Something that gets started once then is used all day has a lot easier life than something that has to go through a warm up cycle every time it's used.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

So far a lot of good advice and maybe some questionable? The the jury is still out on the questionable....LOL.

My "purchased used" 2000 Jetta TDI has just under 127k. According to my Excel Spreadsheet, I have driven it about 83k of those miles. My commute to work, driving on the job and recreational driving add-up to about 36k per year.

- I don't drive it like I stole it (you may crash it before 500k.........
)
- I drive the posted speed limit (occassionally faster to save rear bumper and major traffic crash from cell-phone user riding tail....
)
- I change my oil every 7.5k (Rotella T Synthetic)and change the oil filter each time (Delvac 1 is not available here, but I am not convienced that its worth the difference!)
- I change the fuel filter every 15k (I have a modified system using the old style spin-on filter .... easier changed, cost less, uses the temp sensor and has the same element inside!
)
- I change the air filter every 15k (clean out the snow sreen, or better yet, cut the darn thing out!)
- I don't really use fuel additives very often (Power Service in late fall on thru to early spring)
- Do the regular maintence, i.e., TB change and tensioner, rollers and serpentine belt.
- Once the engine is started, I give it about 20-30 seconds so the oil pressure is up to maximum before driving away.
- Maybe once a week, I take the RPMs above 32 hundered through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears tapering off into 4th and 5th gears.
- The EGR Mod is a must if the rings and upper cylinders are expected to last for 500k. With the "cleanest" fuel, the "best" filter(s), etc., the DIESEL engine still churns-out lots of soot and other abrasive particles. Taking that stuff back thru the engine is a self-destructive process.
- My shocks are OEM and seem to be fine ... of course the roads here are generally good.
- I do not let anyone drive my car. If a passenger slams a door ...... well, I let them know .... never happens again!

- Rotate tires at manufacturer intervals (7.5k for mine)
- Use AC sparingly ... but, be senseable though!

- I don't have an Old Navy CCV device, but been considering my own design .... I have had similar devices on my old style vw diesels.
- Check oil at every fuel-up .... you never know when that oil pan may have smacked the pavement on the inside of a curve or on a large loose gravel and you didn't hear it because the radio/tape/cd was being played far too loud for safe driving!
(Happened to a friend of mine! Luckily, he noticed the oil spot under the car the next morning .... it was three quarts low, with most of that on the drive-way..... small crack in the oil pan!
- Never put gasoline in the fuel tank ,,,, for any reason whatsoever! ,,,,, don't srew-up and put gasoline in by accident either.

Well, just keep it clean and drive it! Oh, eventually, you will need VAG COM software and a PC to do some diagnostics. Or, know a TDIer who has VAG COM!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

we're looking for total car tips to help us acheive the 500k goals.
Lots of good advice here... and some that doesn't make sense.

Twenty years or 500 thousand miles... whichever comes first. If you only drive 10k miles a year, you'll never reach 500k miles... and you might as well drive a gasser, you're not saving enough on fuel to make TDI ownership worthwhile.

The VW maintenance schedule is fine. If you use a top-quality motor oil, then changing your oil and filter every 10k miles is fine. (proven by used-oil analysis)

The OEM air filter is probably good for the 40k mile replacement -- as long it's fitted properly, and you don't work at a quarry.

The OEM fuel filter is NOT the best for longevity. The CAT 2-micron fuel filter is available (see the Group Buy forum), and there is another which has been recently discussed.

Replace your timing belt and tensioner when you're supposed to. And have it done by someone who knows what he's doing. And, IMO, replace the rollers and water pump at the same time.

Do all that and your engine will last. As for the rest of the car... driving 50-100 miles each way from your garage at home, to your covered parking space at work, that's the way to do it.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

If you only drive 10k miles a year, you'll never reach 500k miles... and you might as well drive a gasser, you're not saving enough on fuel to make TDI ownership worthwhile.
we drive each of our TDIs 25-35k annually - but i do think driving a vehicle 10k/yr for 20 years would justify TDI.

driving 50-100 miles each way from your garage at home, to your covered parking space at work, that's the way to do it.
that would be fantastic. in a few years we'll have the garage, and until then, i've bought Wolf car covers with the 4 layer Evolution fabric. my wife never covers her TDI, but i cover mine as soon as i get home each evening.

i could cover it at work too, but if it rains during the day folding up a soaking wet car cover and cramming it into the car... well it sucks.

i've tintied the windows to protect the interior and keep it cooler, and once every week or two i wash then wax it with Meguire's NXT Spray wax and protect all rubber plastic with 303 aerospace protectant.

i can tell using the cover makes a difference because my car retains it's water beading finish better than my wife's never-covered car.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI

oh yeah, i've been using a colgan custom bra and mirror covers, and IMO they're awesome.

you see so many cars where the paint looks good - except the nose of the car looks bead blasted. i put 303 protectant on the bra before road trips, and when i get home a day or two later, the bugs and grime are easily removed by wiping the bra down with a cloth. it takes 30 seconds and the car looks like i never went on the trip!

MileageDude

Veteran Member

SUNRG,

Vag.Com is your friend. If you can, buy a version and purchase the connection cable.

As all the other posts in this thread have emphasized, use the correct oil and a good reliable filtre. Once I purchased a PepBoys oil filtre and it spewed oil all over the engine leaking from the canister cap. I checked it and the seals/gaskets were not the correct diametre allowing the oil to surge through the plastic top.

What a mess.

By-pass fuel filtres are good. Many members speak highly about the CAT and Amsoil.

Good fuel at the pump is very important. It's well noted here and needs no further explanatory.

Additives, also explained.

Injector wear and these being replaced adds new life.

A garage with heat.

Back to the Vag.Com.

I noticed while working on my cousin's car, a 2002 Golf with 110,000 miles [176.000km] that the MAF once again is failing. It's a Pierburg, about 9 months old and 40,000 miles on it [65.000km]. If you think about it, having a MAF failing could perhaps cause a lot of problems with the turbo and gunk filling up the vanes. If that turbo does not spool at total efficiency -one could image- that it's not very healthy for the entire intake system. My assumption?

Vagcom can really save your life.

Staying away from dealerships can add longevity to your wallet and sanity.

Going to GTG and sharing info adds even more benefit.

Reading this forum for updates is a lifesaver.

Derf is a life saver.

Here's the fuel filtre drained into a glass this past weekend. The filtre was of course changed. Not a drop of water in it. That is an OEM fuel filtre with 25,000 miles on it [41.000km]. That's BP fuel, always BP.