Fuse Box

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
So my owners manual grew legs and left me. Can anyone tell me which fuse is used for the glow plug control module? Car isn't starting when under 35 degrees. I am going to check my plugs but before I go crazy with the wiring want to rule the fuse out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you had a blown fuse for that, you'd have the MIL on. Your problem is not a fuse. Or the glow system.

Are you certain it is cranking normally?

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
If you had a blown fuse for that, you'd have the MIL on. Your problem is not a fuse. Or the glow system.

Are you certain it is cranking normally?
I also have a mil light on intermittently when it is this cold. I do not have an amp clamp to check my starter, but Im figuring since my only issues are when its cold it has something to do with my glow plugs.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
What do you mean by struggle starting? Is it just long cranking? There was a thread I read a while back that tends to be for the first start if the day, and seems to happen more often when it is colder that showed the factory VVT system for this car can cause some longer crank times. Mine even does it from time to time. Doesn’t cause any damage with the longer cranks, more of an annoyance, and repacking this vvt portion has been known to fix it. Linked below is what I am talking about. https://youtu.be/DXvHdmq0reA

He says it only occurs at first start up, but can also occur at second start up given other circumstances in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

TDI
I also have a mil light on intermittently when it is this cold. I do not have an amp clamp to check my starter, but Im figuring since my only issues are when its cold it has something to do with my glow plugs.
OK, well OBD works, start there, LOL. :p

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
What do you mean by struggle starting? Is it just long cranking? There was a thread I read a while back that tends to be for the first start if the day, and seems to happen more often when it is colder that showed the factory VVT system for this car can cause some longer crank times. Mine even does it from time to time. Doesn’t cause any damage with the longer cranks, more of an annoyance, and repacking this vvt portion has been known to fix it. Linked below is what I am talking about. https://youtu.be/DXvHdmq0reA

He says it only occurs at first start up, but can also occur at second start up given other circumstances in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it’s a very long crank. And also since it happened to me yesterday my car will only try and turn over twice and quit now.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Original battery??
Mine is original and build date of 07/'14 and when it gets cold the battery struggles to crank the engine fast enough to start easily. I know it's the battery because if I throw a charger on for just a bit (like when loading a tune) it fires off immediately. My luck with batteries is that they always seem to go right at the five year mark.

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
Original battery??
Mine is original and build date of 07/'14 and when it gets cold the battery struggles to crank the engine fast enough to start easily. I know it's the battery because if I throw a charger on for just a bit (like when loading a tune) it fires off immediately. My luck with batteries is that they always seem to go right at the five year mark.
No I had to replace it about a year ago. Like before this happened it would have a rough idle until it warms up usually about 5 minutes. And when it’s cold even with warming up my glow plugs for about 10 minutes it would turn over at least 5-6 times. But when it’s 40 degrees+ it has no issues starting but it still had the rough idle. Check all my glow plugs those are getting proper voltage. So I’m going to check the fuses and the relay for the glow plug control module before I start checking the wiring.

oilhammer

TDI
ONCE AGAIN: your car is trying to tell you something. Why are you ignoring the OBD? :rolleyes:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
First suspect is battery by the description long crank totally drains battery. Just because it was replaced doesn't mean it's good. test at cold temp.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just noticed that I missed the last page - which included fuse SC53 (30A for rear defogger).

Hit the link again and you'll get the revision that includes that last page.

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Just noticed that I missed the last page - which included fuse SC53 (30A for rear defogger). Hit the link again and you'll get the revision that includes that last page.
Do you have the sections for the other 2 panels as well? Panel B and A, section 2 and 3. See diagram on first page.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - sorry I missed that. The document included locations for model years *after* the TDIs stop being produced, so I deleted them; forgot the SB / SA fuse locations and layout were at the end.

Link now updated. :)

Last edited: