What injection pump do I have?

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
I bought a Caddy with an Mtdi AHU and want to set the timing on the injection pump. Which IP do I have, and where should I set the lift? The cold start is on the "front" of the pump (the side on the front of the car). I didn't see any numbers on the front but there a few on the back, but an internet search didn't turn anything up. I saw another thread with Bosch part numbers listed for Land Rover pumps but I didn't see any of these numbers on my pump.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Chinese Bosch VE knockoff?
Honestly, no markings mean no idea...

You set timing mechanically via the access port on the distributor head of the pump, center bolt. You will need a lift gauge to set it, but what you set it to I have no idea since MTDI has no VW published standard since it's a custom setup.

Steve

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
That said... there are other folks here running m-TDI set-ups... so a straight forward "What timing setting should I use for my m-TDI??" thread might attract some thoughts for you.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If it’s a Landy pump, most people set them around 1.5mm. I’ve never seen a landy pump, where the advance lever is facing the front of the car.

Are you afraid to remove some clamps and tubing? You’re asking for help, yet the pics are terrible.

-Todd

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I have a LR pump on my ALH and it doesn't look anything like the OP's. The lack of Bosch markings tells us it ain't genuine anything.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Those pics were from before I decided to start the thread. I did get a dial indicator and an adapter set for the middle bolt.I used to do this on my 1.5idi before the ALH swap in my other car. I'm having trouble uploading images but hopefully I'll be able to post more tomorrow. I had never considered that it could be a knockoff pump, definitely not thrilled.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It should have a placard that has the serial number and should say Bosch stamped if it's a Bosch. Never saw a Bosch part without it being stamped Bosch.
Try to get a good shot at the front side towards the radiator, engine side and, injector line side to see if there is one there.

Different pump, but shows scribe and Bosch on housing.

Last edited: