What did you do to your MKIV today?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
My wife took a day trip to Big Bear (if you know where I live and where BB is, you know it’s not much of a day trip) and came back late last night. When I got home today after work, noticed a small coolant puddle. Checked a few areas and after a quick rinse and blowing out the area, noticed some coolant residue around this flange or manifold looking tube. Not sure if anyone has had any leaks there. It doesn’t seem to be the thermostat. Check out the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's the hard pipe, the o ring goes into the housing that holds the thermostat and water pump. O ring is known for going out.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s not that difficult, have to loosen some things to finagle it out.
Question.....is that pipe cracked at the tee?
If not cracked , and you can pull it out far enough you can just swap the ring, clean up the hole , lube the new ring with coolant and reverse the order......

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Oh man. How difficult is that to access??

Here's my write up/fix for that Bako:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491854

It's not too bad but there is a lot of moving "stuff" out of the way to get enough slack to be able to pull it out of the block, clean the end, and get the new o-ring on/in. You can see I linked a good thread that tells you what to remove/loosen up.

If the coolant is leaking down ON to the hard pipe though, I would inspect what's above it...notoriously the T-stat housing.

If it's the hard pipe it will leak down and make it look like a t-stat housing leak though. The 2 are very hard to decipher so you really need to get in there with a light, try to clean up under the t-stat housing all the way down. Then run the car and watch to see where the leak originates.

Honestly if I were to to it again, I'd probably take the entire pipe out. I would cut the "T" section out of the hard pipe. I would make that new section out of flexible hose and clamps and a T fitting. It would save a LOT of headache when you have to do it again. If your T is cracked it may be a good candidate for this...

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, you should have the single wide o ring style since your car is old enough. Unless someone's swapped it out before. They aren't that hard to do.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
It’s not that difficult, have to loosen some things to finagle it out.
Question.....is that pipe cracked at the tee?
If not cracked , and you can pull it out far enough you can just swap the ring, clean up the hole , lube the new ring with coolant and reverse the order......

I don’t think it is. I need to run car and have the t-stat open and get some coolant to flow and see the actual leak happening. Hopefully it’s more noticeable

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
On a scale of 1-10...roughly a 36.
(Not firsthand experience, but just reading a few threads here....ugh!)

It’s not that bad......maybe a 20...... just kidding, it’s probably a 6-7... I’ve done it on mine, it wasn’t leaking just severely rusted and I was doing a TB job and replacing my blown head gasket and installing a used head....figured it was time, had 394,xxx miles when I did that, currently car is at 432,xxxmiles.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Krash, that’s link is awesome!! I will keep an eye on this to avoid bigger issues. Thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Leash, that’s link is awesome!! I will keep an eye on this to avoid bigger issues. Thanks guys!!!!

No worries, the tricky stuff I try to do writeups on for people in the future. Saves some time!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Well, I messed around with mounting the rear dash cam some more. I temporarily had it mounted with some stick on velcro, which worked, but I wanted something a bit cleaner that could still be adjusted. Preferably something off the shelf.

The other goal was to NOT mount it to the window (which was the intention of the cam that came in this kit. I just had the windows re-tinted and didn't want anything adhered to the tint.

After popping the back trim off and analyzing, I put my thinkin' cap on about what would work for a bracket that would hold tight and that the camera could mount to.

My days (sometimes still if I go out) of carrying a money clip came in handy...I thought this would work brilliantly. Usually they have a kind of "radius" at the back of the clip that would clear the trim perfect.

I gambled on this $9 clip from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018HYPYBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the results:

You can see in the last picture that there is a bit of "overhang" from the clip lip. It doesn't interfere at all with anything on the door (3rd brake light trim). It allows you to mount the camera out at the end of the "overhang" if you want it closer to the window. That clip holds tight, it's not going anywhere. The camera is adhered to the clip with the 3M tape that came on it. You can slightly angle/move the clip however you want for your image. $9 gamble that turned out pretty clean.

I've been working with the company (maker) of the camera for some software type updates where I've found some, I wouldn't call them bugs, but inconveniences. They will be sending me beta software I can update on the camera for testing when I give them feedback.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very nice, hopefully it doesn't cause any parasitic draw issues. My dash cam will kill my battery in 3 days, but if I daily drive, my car still survives the weekends.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Very nice, hopefully it doesn't cause any parasitic draw issues. My dash cam will kill my battery in 3 days, but if I daily drive, my car still survives the weekends.
Hopefully not.
If I'm at home, the dash cam is physically powered off. There should be no parasitic draws.
It's plugged in to the cigarette lighter, which is constant power on these vehicles. I've had cell phone chargers and things plugged in that location for weeks on end with no issues.

I don't utilize the parking mode when I'm at the house either. If I'm out of town or parked somewhere in public, I'll keep the parking mode on. The unit is fully shut down until the G-sensor reacts to movement. It then will power on the unit, record, and shut down after 30 seconds. There's also the option for motion detector which kind of does the same thing, but you have a better chance of seeing some "before" footage (if someone is snooping and then decides to go in for the kill). I don't have any desire to run motion detection.

I tested out the parking mode by fully turning the camera off, then exiting the vehicle, opening and closing the door enough for it to detect a "bump" and it did what it should.

That being said, I also ordered a cig adapter that has a few outlets that you're able to cut power to with a switch. After I mount that, it will ensure that no power is being supplied to the camera at all if I switch the button off on the adapter (it has 3 12v adapters, each have their own power switch). I'll mount that near the passenger side center console trim as it comes with a mount.

Definitely something that I will keep my eye on for sure though.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hopefully you applied some red loc-tite to the adapter threads, I would re-check those periodically too. Adapters/spacers tend to loosen up over time.
Nah, my winter tires are on 5x100 rims, so these will be coming off in fall. I'll check tightness when I rotate tires, unless winter tires go on before then.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
And some more stuffs getting at it...

Front spindles tore down; bearings out on yet another set. I'm getting efficient in this process [emoji14]

Front spindles - red enamel
Front carriers - burnt copper
Front and rear calipers already painted...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I rarely daily drive, so had a completely dead battery the week after installing a dash cam.

My solution was to install a fused outlet behind the cluster connected to switched power. I park in my garage so don't need parking mode.

Simon

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Replaced the large electric fan.

Was at a drive thru the other day and noticed on the scangauge the temp started to creep up, so tested the fans when I got home and found the large fan was not coming on.
Swapped out one from the parts car and all is working now.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do to my mk4 today...

2004 Golf:

1. New clutch (dual diaphragm from BleachedBora
  2. Limited Slip from Peloquin

2003 Jetta:

• Got started with the wiring for my 5 speed swap
  • This car inherits my barely worn DC Stage 2 clutch (that I really liked) from the 2004.

mauricioezequiel

TDI
Golf mk4 Comfortline 2004 agr
Changed the fuel lines, deleted the thermo tee and installed a fuel filter socket that it works well and will let me use a mann wk842 filter for half the price of the oem filter, but it looks horrible.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jump started it for the third time this week smh napa battery only lasted a year.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
BRM intake manifold on my BEW. Malone "adapter". Intake pipe to Turbo from Darkside. All done with my 13 year old son. The best part.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
So what is the difference between a BEW and BRM intake manifolds and why is it a plus?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Nero. Just looking at the photo of the 4 different intakes shows the BRM is a better design.
Only thing bad about the BRM intake is it doesn't have the studs for the EGR cooler. I fabricated mine to have the studs and I have my cooler present.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Changed the oil, but made it harder on myself by leaving the filter at home when I went to the shop to do the work.
I only realized that I didn't have the filter there when I went to install it...

One quick trip to a FLAPS and a generic filter later, and the car was on it's way again.

I intended to change my large fan out, since it stopped blowing, and the bearings appear to have failed.
The spare radiator and fan assembly that I had on my shelf turned out to be missing the large fan... A project for another day, after acquiring a fan.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changed the oil and filter in my daughters car, drained and replaced the trans fluid with synchromesh.
Troubleshoot bogging down on my car at 3500 rpm......air filter completely clogged and found a piece of pipe foam insulation blocking 3/4 of the intake right before it goes into the air filter box....no idea how the hell it got there����.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today? Pulled another 02J and some associated parts from the junkyard.