What did you do to your MKIV today?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If you want to do the dogbone bushings and are happy with OEM stiffness, you can get OEM replacement inserts from BHI for about $8.

I suspect that they are leftover from building on upgraded dogbone bushing sets, but whatever the reason, they were cheap and got my engine back under control.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Well, the Mrs. got home this morning from work and said that she couldn't get her diesel door to open with the switch to fill up at the now low price of $1.95/gal.

I've seen this before and I've solved this before. I grabbed my 11 oz. spray can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and gave the door switch on the driver's door 3 good long squirts and the problem was solved. And just because I such a nice guy I added some Power Service to the tank, I popped the hood and added a 1/2 Qt. of Mobile 1, and even topped off the windshield washer jug. 301k on her DD. You got to love these TDI's. Jeff

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you want to do the dogbone bushings and are happy with OEM stiffness, you can get OEM replacement inserts from BHI for about $8.

I suspect that they are leftover from building on upgraded dogbone bushing sets, but whatever the reason, they were cheap and got my engine back under control.
Who is BHI?:confused:

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Replace headlights with RockAuto's for $40 each. Was considering glass lenses for same price, but labor to replace made me go with the whole thing. They look great. Now the focus is on the nicks and dings on the front bumper. Also, huge difference in view. I would definitely consider if you want to freshen up the front of your car and want to see more out front of you.
Also finished installing LEDs. Now won't get pulled over because they can't see my plate.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Swapped in a cup holder center console, super easy and I should have done it long ago. Vacuumed out my summer car (in sig) and started to disassemble to clean my intake manifold...

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Diesel purge on our BEW @ 174k miles. Wasn't expecting much, but I had it and figured I'd give it a go and observe if group 13 changed any:

Group 013 Injection Quantity Deviation

BEFORE: -0.21, 0.12, 0.33, -0.21 mg/str
AFTER: -0.42, 0.28, 0.35, -0.21 mg/str

So no real change observed here.. if anything it's slightly worse after. Engine was warmer on second read though and had been running longer. It's probably within the normal operating swing.

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
Finally took the time to configure my laptop to work with VCDS light. I have a mac so I had to take a few extra steps. Will register soon. Gave my car some love by attacking it with Mr. Clean magic erasers. There was a lot of oil and grease smudges though out the interior of the car. Really brightened everything up.

Last edited:

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Finished installing leather trimmed black door panels. There are a couple more pieces of grey interior to replace with black. I'll replace the grey seats at some point as well. Just waiting on deals.... the door panels were $25 and in decent shape.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Finished installing leather trimmed black door panels. There are a couple more pieces of grey interior to replace with black. I'll replace the grey seats at some point as well. Just waiting on deals.... the door panels were $25 and in decent shape.
Your driver's door puddle light isn't working.:D

If you come across a clean set of black door cards for a 4-door Golf, please do let me know.
(I only need the fronts, and really only need the driver's door card)

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Rem, aren't Jetta and Golf doors the same?

I'm still waffling over how I'm going to end up getting heated seats into my car, whether to break down and go with leather as I can't seem to find decent beige cloth seats of the heated variety. I do like the idea of leather door cards (no drooping cloth! [though on my cars they're still holding up pretty well]).

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Ordered:

Front headlight fog light wiring
Rear fog light wiring

Can't wait to throw on my euro ecodes :)

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Your driver's door puddle light isn't working.:D

If you come across a clean set of black door cards for a 4-door Golf, please do let me know.
(I only need the fronts, and really only need the driver's door card)

I know! I'm waiting on my switches that are on the way from China.... as described in the "stupid door switch" thread.

Are you looking for black leather door cards or black cloth for the golf? I have a go-to parts guy that will have mint black cloth cards for sure. He is in Chester Basin but I have also met him in Halifax to buy parts. I will PM you with contact info. All the parts I've bought from him have all been perfect condition.

The fronts of the 4-door mk4 golf will be the same as an mk4 Jetta. As far as I know.

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
Today I started looking for a replacement engine. Broke a rod in mine last Saturday. I was on a long stretch in South Alabama about 10 miles from the Florida line and the engine locked. Luckily we were taking 2 cars. Left it on the side of the road and took off in the Toyota. my dad drove down and pulled it back with his tow dolly late that night.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Are you looking for black leather door cards or black cloth for the golf? I have a go-to parts guy that will have mint black cloth cards for sure. He is in Chester Basin but I have also met him in Halifax to buy parts. I will PM you with contact info. All the parts I've bought from him have all been perfect condition.

The fronts of the 4-door mk4 golf will be the same as an mk4 Jetta. As far as I know.
Doesn't matter to me if they're leather or not. Black cloth is fine. I think there were a lot more leather interior Jettas than Golfs.

I know the guy in Chester. I've been there several times myself.:D

As far as I know, the Jetta and Golf door cards are not exactly the same. I believe the Jetta panels are slightly longer on the top. I've read on here where people have tried to swap them and they didn't fit. Apparently you can separate the panels, and make them fit...

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394217

I haven't really looked for a set...it's low priority for me. If I come across a nice clean Golf driver's door card in black, I'll grab it.:D (or both fronts).

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Dropped in a new thermostat, a new thermostat flange, a new upper radiator hose, and new oil cooler hoses today. Maybe now my P0128 CEL will stop needing to be reset every other day...

Glad I ordered a new flange when I ordered the thermostat. I broke one of the two thermostat hanger ears removing the original flange, because you cannot turn the flange the direction you would need to without removing the alternator. (BEW)

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropped in a new thermostat, a new thermostat flange, a new upper radiator hose, and new oil cooler hoses today. Maybe now my P0128 CEL will stop needing to be reset every other day...

Glad I ordered a new flange when I ordered the thermostat. I broke one of the two thermostat hanger ears removing the original flange, because you cannot turn the flange the direction you would need to without removing the alternator. (BEW)
Went to drive my "Little Red Wagon" to work the following morning (today), and it stumbled on the first crank, then died. Subsequent attempts to crank would not stumble, sputter, or kick at all. Remembering what I had read here about failing lift pump symptoms in PD (BEW) cars, I cycled the key, listened for the "hum", and heard none. After three cycles of the key, and no "hum", I quickly decided this wagon isn't taking me anywhere today! Went back in the house and had the wife grab the keys to her 2006 TDI to take me to work. At lunch time, I had the wife cycle the key while I checked voltage with a meter. I get voltage at the connector, but no hum from the pump, even with the inspection plate removed. Jumpering the pump to a known good 12V source gets no result, no voltage drop on battery even. Checked the pump contacts for continuity, Result=open circuit. Ordered a lift pump at lunch... :rolleyes:

Thanks to those who have gone before me, and provided write-ups on replacement procedures. If the replacement lift pump works, TDIWagonGuy will be getting an order for a new pump to go in my tan housing, so I will have a spare on hand for the future. ;)

Nathaniel.Troy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta MkIV
well i was in my garage for about 13 hours yesterday, i was able to drop the tranny, install my new DC clutch, swapped the vnt15 for a 17/22, replaced all the suspension will bilstein, replaced the brake pads and rotors, swapped the control arm bushings, replaced a CV boot, replaced all the interior with LED lights, did an oil change and even put air in the tires :)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Okay, somebody has to follow that...(the post above me) After being frustrated last night and losing more of what little hair I have left today wondering what Sophie's (my Jetta) problem is/was. Yesterday she ran fine and I needed to lengthen my turbo actuator rod to hopefully calm down the spikes from my new 17/56 :)smile:) so I put her up in the air, double checked all the vacuum lines and when I started her she had no N75 operation; everything was connected and I was not a happy camper. To make a long story short(after removing the N18 and swapping it for the N75) still having no luck, I posted my problem here at TDIClub.com this morning and after I got back home I found out the solution was a blown fuse; a fuse that didn't blow in the part where you could see it... Afterward she started right up and wanted to bark the tires again.

So what I did today was disconnect all vacuum lines, re-route all vacuum lines to see if she would at least be drive able, she wasn't, try four or five other things, swap the N18 for the N75 without success, pull out more hair, go online and beg for help, take suggested help, drive car with smile on face, and thank all the people that made suggestions to get me back on the road, as well as a BIG thank you to the person with the solution to my problem. So all in all I guess I really didn't do much today...

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
well i was in my garage for about 13 hours yesterday, i was able to drop the tranny, install my new DC clutch, swapped the vnt15 for a 17/22, replaced all the suspension will bilstein, replaced the brake pads and rotors, swapped the control arm bushings, replaced a CV boot, replaced all the interior with LED lights, did an oil change and even put air in the tires :)
Man, that's a lot of stuff to do in 13 hours!:eek:

v45

TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta ALH Wgn 5spd
I replaced the passenger heated seat switch now that winter is over

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to those who have gone before me, and provided write-ups and replacement procedures for the lift pump.

I have nothing but praises for TDIClub tonight!
Kudos for IDParts for getting a lift pump to my door in under 24 hours! Put down the baby's bib (heavy duty trash can liner) on the back seat floor, taped around the inspection plate opening. Depressed the little clips that hold the fuel lines to the pump (thanks to numerous videos including AARodriguez who said press here to release clip). Tapped the retaining ring loose with a hammer and block of wood. Swapped the old tan pump for the new grey VDO in under two hours, after sunset, using my Lowes 12V/120V LED work light plugged into the socket inside the hatch. After everything was buttoned up, I cycled the key on and actually heard noises from the lift pump under the rear seat. Not sure I've ever heard it before. Cycled the key several times to force the air through the system and the PD fired right up like usual.

You TDI Owner's are Awesome! :)

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Thanks to those who have gone before me, and provided write-ups and replacement procedures for the lift pump.

I have nothing but praises for TDIClub tonight!
Kudos for IDParts for getting a lift pump to my door in under 24 hours! Put down the baby's bib (heavy duty trash can liner) on the back seat floor, taped around the inspection plate opening. Depressed the little clips that hold the fuel lines to the pump (thanks to numerous videos including AARodriguez who said press here to release clip). Tapped the retaining ring loose with a hammer and block of wood. Swapped the old tan pump for the new grey VDO in under two hours, after sunset, using my Lowes 12V/120V LED work light plugged into the socket inside the hatch. After everything was buttoned up, I cycled the key on and actually heard noises from the lift pump under the rear seat. Not sure I've ever heard it before. Cycled the key several times to force the air through the system and the PD fired right up like usual.

You TDI Owner's are Awesome! :)
Don't throw away the old tan unit! The old tan units allow fuel to flow even if it's not working. The new grey VDO units do not allow fuel to flow and when it quits, your car will quit running.

You can buy just a replacement pump for the old tan units. Cost $70-$80

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk