What did you do to your MKIV today?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Blocked the radiator with coroplast in preparation for the cold winter months ahead. It's my 5th year doing this, and still using the same 3 pieces of coroplast, no bad for free :D.
If anyone in interested in this technique instead of the pipe insulation method, I created a "HOW TO:" a few years ago:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428973
BTW, the photos shown in the HOW TO are linked from Photobucket, and they appear OK when I view the thread, but somebody once commented that they cannot see the pics.
Can somebody else look and see if they see them too.
If they are an issue, I will add the pics to my TDIClub album and link them from there.
Also just saw that this is post #3000, lots of great MKIV's still rolling.
They're working for me, I'll have to keep that in mind if we start getting snow here... Unlikely this year.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Replaced my Vehicle Speed Sensor on top the transmission to fix my randomly dropping out speedometer. Also looking like I’m gonna be doing lower control arm bushings and rear axle bushings in the near future as well.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Drove 250 miles of all highway at 70-75mph and hand calculated the fuel economy: 42.6mpg
Not bad, considering I’ve got the Audi Fat Five 17” wheels.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Mine’s had an exhaust leak at #4 for a while now, and I suspect that’s one reason why my mileage has suffered recently. My last tank was 41.2mpg, the one before that was 42.3, and before I swapped my lighter winter wheels on it did 46.4. So today I tightened that up, hopefully that’s enough to stop it, if not I’ve had a new gasket laying around for over a year.

I also put a little time into working on the wiring for my gauges. Put loom where it’s noticeable, got the rheostat mounted, and figured out what I’m doing with the relay harness. I don’t have any eyelets, or butt connectors at hand though, so that limited my progress.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Timing belt change #8 for Red, performed by the incomparable Eric Merker, using the deluxe kit from Dieselgeek. Added a serpentine belt tensioner -- not sure when it was last replaced. Also the higher-temperature thermostat, from Volvo I think.

So good for another 90k or 100k miles.

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
Timing belt change #8 for Red, performed by the incomparable Eric Merker, using the deluxe kit from Dieselgeek. Added a serpentine belt tensioner -- not sure when it was last replaced. Also the higher-temperature thermostat, from Volvo I think.

So good for another 90k or 100k miles.
higher temperature thermostat :confused:

that sounds like a must have for Canadian winters where do i sign?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
higher temperature thermostat :confused:

that sounds like a must-have for Canadian winters where do I sign?
92°C, I think. If it works and my engine runs a little hotter then maybe I'll get an extra mpg this winter.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Fixed another coolant hose leak. This time the hose going to the EGR cooler. I’m also beginning to think my speedometer issue is electrical in nature. The problem came back even after replacing the VSS. Speedometer will be dead but if I turn the lights on it comes right to life (and if I turn the lights off it continues to work fine).

Both coolant leaks I’ve had recently have been right above the wiring “harness” for the VSS and said harness is just electrical tape after the PO did the 5spd swap. I’m wondering if coolant got down inside the wiring (kinda like coolant migration but without the system wide migration). Electrical troubleshooting isn’t my thing so I gotta do more research before throwing parts at it.

Last edited:

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Over the past few weekends:

Installed Audi steering wheel with Tiptronic controls (haven't figured out how to get the controls to work)

Installed leather seats and three leather door cards. Drivers card needs some work before installing.

Installed Passat rear head rests...leather on the sides from a B 5.5 and pleather mini head rest in the center from a B6. (Huge improvement in rear visibility).

Replaced interior rear view mirror with larger MK5 Jetta mirror.

Installed Audi TT pedal pads.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Finished wiring my gauges, and got the whole project about 95% done. Just have to finish the mount for the pod, but I did get a little test drive in, and it reminds me just how much I love isspro ev2 gauges.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
My starter was weak, I had been wanting to rebuild my spare buy the main person I ordered parts off ebay no longer was selling stuff,

I ordered this solenoid https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGJSPFN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a brush kit from these guys

https://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php

I re-built my spare starter and installed it and TOTAL difference in starting speed in cold weather, today was about -15c ish, not even a hesitation. For guys struggling in cold weather a bad starter draw is a terrible thing on these.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I found a hard cover 2 volume Bentley manual set for the A4 Jetta on craigslist, and the guy had a some TDI parts he threw in for free-a water pump, crank pulley, vacuum pump, and a complete set of injectors/bodies-the water pump will go in scrap, but other things will go in stash....

SKI-R

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI, '02 Golf TDI
Picked up a clean hood and driver's door for the Golf and replaced the straight pipe catback with a Buzzken (with resonator) unit. Replaced the Jetta antenna base and determined I cannot get the LED bulbs to pattern a usable light in the aftermarket DEPO headlamps...back to 9007s for now.

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I re-built my spare starter and installed it and TOTAL difference in starting speed in cold weather, today was about -15c ish, not even a hesitation. For guys struggling in cold weather a bad starter draw is a terrible thing on these.
How worn were your original brushes? Not that it gets cold here but I'm thinking of rebuilding mine also as the starter RPM doesn't sound all that fast.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
... and determined I cannot get the LED bulbs to pattern a usable light in the aftermarket DEPO headlamps...back to 9007s for now.
Yeah - LED bulbs in anything not specifically made for LED bulbs (read: newer OEM stuff) just do not put out good light patterns.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Commencing a heater core today. Was planning on tearing the dash apart anyway to fix the foam nonsense in the hvac box with some aluminium tape. Just had to expedite the job due to antifreeze fog inside the cabin. I wonder how many beers it will take to do this job?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Alot of beer. I always go through more beer then project....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Did poly control arm bushings, and regrettably the dog bone. I’ll have to put some rubber bits back in that one. I also wish I would’ve gotten the two piece poly bushings, as it took 4 hours to figure out how to get the gd 1 piece things in there.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Did the second front bearing on my wife's 2003 Jetta gasser (it's her winter beater). I did the first one last week. Both were bad, the one I did today was the really noisy one. What fun. (More detailed comments are in Scurvy's thread on changing front wheel bearings.) But at least the car is quiet now. The only annoying maintenance item left on this car is to figure out what shim is needed for the driver's side rear. A visit to the alignment shop is in the near future...

Cheers,

PH

PS: Oh, wait a minute. Yet another indicator of previous owner's crappy mechanic's <bleep>y work is the non-OEM half shaft on the passenger side. That is just a time bomb ticking away...

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Swapped a valve body on a 01M, bringing it back to life! For low long is the question.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Let's see... what did I do today to Sophie my MK4 Jetta? Nothing thank God, nothing at all. With the weather being as cold as it is now, and having a narrow un-heated garage, unless it gets down to fix-it-or-walk, I vote nothing as what I do today or tomorrow.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Saturday morning in the driveway, cleaned snow screen, replaced air filter and swapped in a nice new Pierburg MAF element. Engine feels smoother subjectively. I've been chasing down crap fuel economy for a while. I'll see how this tank goes. Not much left on the list to try... And just broke 120k miles on my '03. :cool:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's not that cold over here :) but that wind we're getting sure is something awful.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Did the second front bearing on my wife's 2003 Jetta gasser (it's her winter beater). I did the first one last week. Both were bad, the one I did today was the really noisy one. What fun. (More detailed comments are in Scurvy's thread on changing front wheel bearings.) But at least the car is quiet now. The only annoying maintenance item left on this car is to figure out what shim is needed for the driver's side rear. A visit to the alignment shop is in the near future...

Cheers,

PH

PS: Oh, wait a minute. Yet another indicator of previous owner's crappy mechanic's <bleep>y work is the non-OEM half shaft on the passenger side. That is just a time bomb ticking away...
It wouldn't surprise me if the non-OEM half shaft was the root cause of your failed wheel bearing, it was for me...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good news: Picked up my Wagon at Kraftwerke. Mr Chill pulled the front fenders and treated the tops of the rockers to stop the rust that was starting there. Hope it holds it off for a few years. He also fixed, with some difficulty, a worn out driver's side rear door latch. And he discovered the vacuum pump nipple was loose and losing vacuum, causing a host of issues including the shudder valve not working and lots of exhaust noise at low speeds because the turbo vanes weren't closing. I thought I'd blown out my muffler. New pump fixed that. Car runs better and the doors work. That's all good. I really missed it.

Bad news: Dropped off the Red Golf for, sadly, a heater core. And this on the heels of a blend door repair a few months ago. Bummer.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It wouldn't surprise me if the non-OEM half shaft was the root cause of your failed wheel bearing, it was for me...
I have been thinking the same thing. Coupled with a bad installation, and inadequately torqued axle bolt causing the subsequent failure of the wheel bearing. That wheel bearing had been replaced: the c-clip gap was at 1-2 o'clock, so he tooefed that at the same time. Maybe installed badly and peened the races on installation. Ended up by putting crap who-knows-what bolts to hold the ball joint to the control arm. Just about everything wrong on that whole job that could have been done. Some 'mechanics' should find other work. Or he was smoking too much weed, IDK. I'm just glad at this point that I do not know the identity of that installation person. He should stick to shoveling sidewalks by hand. :mad:
PH

Last edited:

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I finally got around to fixing the return fuel lines on the old girl. I just did a full engine and transmission swap a couple weeks ago and have been slowly fixing the small things as the arise. Tonight was return lines who knows what tomorrow brings. On a side note I would love to upload pictures but have no clue and am not very computer or smart phone savvy.