Clicking Sound In Dash, Lights Flicker

JoeDiesel

Veteran Member
Just happen to notice with the first cold snap of the year, that upon a cold start, after about 3 miles of driving, there is a series of clicks, which cause some sort of voltage drop. I can tell because at night the headlights get dimmer, then brighter with each click. Is this a sign of something starting to "go out" on me or is this normal, with the cycling of the glow plugs?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If it's happening as you go above/below 2500 rpm, it is normal. The glow plugs are being turned on below 2500 and off above 2500.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That is the "afterglow" phase of the engine glow plugs. It is unrelated to the coolant heaters that are seperately controlled and regulated. The engine glow plugs are on (depending on temperature) before starting. The dash indicator is also on. The glow plugs go off, and the dash lamp goes off, when they are sufficiently warmed to assist in starting. The glow plugs will come back on immediately after starting, but now are temperature (below 90? 110?f) and engine speed (below 2500 rpm) dependent. There is no dash indication of the afterglow phase.