Tdi Ranger

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Fantastic job! I have to hand it to you. As you have produced what we here in the states cannot purchase. A small diesel pickup truck.

Have you determined how many RPM the engine turns at 70MPH? (it would be the same as the original engine if you did not change the trans or rear gears).

My group of friends and I drive Rabbit pickup, Rabbit and Jetta diesels. None of us have been able to break the 50MPG mark. The old school rabbit gets about 44MPG, the old school "caddy" (yes they are called caddy's overseas) gets about 47MPG with a fresh engine and the 06 Jetta gets about 42 max.

Chris

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
not 50 yet

The motor turns 2150 at 110km/h which is right around 70m/h. The gears in the rear end were 3.73s, i changed to 3.08s to match which has worked just great.

As for mileage I haven`t broken 50 yet but this truck is always loaded and its winter here. like i mean winter -35C. In summer will be when i make the run at 50mpg
The speedo which reads in km/h cause i`m in canada has actually converted km/h to m/h. If you pretend the km/h on the speedo is actually miles per hour its right on. So when it reads 60km/h u are actually doing 60m/h

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Lone Ranger said:
The motor turns 2150 at 110km/h which is right around 70m/h. The gears in the rear end were 3.73s, i changed to 3.08s to match which has worked just great.

As for mileage I haven`t broken 50 yet but this truck is always loaded and its winter here. like i mean winter -35C. In summer will be when i make the run at 50mpg
The speedo which reads in km/h cause i`m in canada has actually converted km/h to m/h. If you pretend the km/h on the speedo is actually miles per hour its right on. So when it reads 60km/h u are actually doing 60m/h
sounds like the coding in the cluster is off...

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
not coding

alphaseinor its not coding. the motor was swapped from a vehicle that was FWD to RWD and the output for the FWD jetta is out of a transaxle, so its gonna be out. If the pickup for the speedo on the ranger was out of the differential it would spin fast enough and be alot closer.
But ford does make different teeth on the speedo gears, I have calculated I need one that has 14 teeth. the closest from ford is 16(wine coloured), so it would still be slightly out. There is a 21(red coloured) in it right now. so i can get it alot closer

SkinDeep

TDI
none
Lone Ranger - fantastic job. I have a '99 Ranger and have been thinking about this for a while. But my knowledge is limited so I would be learning from scratch. The most complex repair I've ever done on my own is changing a clutch!

Couple more questions....

1) Are there emissions issues? I see you are in Canada, and I'm not sure how they do emissions up there. Could I take a truck like this through typical US inspections?

2) Is keeping the AC possible?

2) If you are serious about providing this service, please email me about the general cost, assuming I can provide a 5spd Ranger in decent shape.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
DPM, very nice, thanks for the link, I won`t even bother with a different coloured ford gear if i can buy that.

As for emissions, I don`t see a problem even in stricter places, here in Winnipeg we are pretty lax about it. But in actualy fact the only thing i`ve done away with was the EGR which was strictly for space reasons. I seee no problem getting it threw emissions, its just a 1.9LTDI in a different location.

As for keeping the A/C I would say yes, perhaps even easier than what i had to go through with the whole no p/s ranger. A ranger with a rack and pinion would probably make it easier altho i cannot say for sure.

And as for doing another one and the cost involved. The biggest cost is getting the motor complete and all the electronics, and i mean all the electronics. Every wire that comes out of that motor you pretty well need. The other significant cost is the adapter plate which is around 3-4 grand to get made. I dummo how much help i can give you from over here but i`d be glad to help you as much as i can

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Pics of the load i carry

How do I insert pictures. I wanna show what kind of load i have to show what i`m getting around 43mpg with?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
go to:
"forums"
"photos"
"login"
"myphotos"
"upload photos"

pic the picture on your computer and upload.
then click on the pic in your album, it will give you a link below the pic. copy that link into yor thread.

The format should start with ""
and end with ""

CMS

TDI
NONE
Ranger, how much have you been towing with that truck? Looking at doing an S10 later this year. I'm in Ontario. I plan on getting a Toyota 5 sp. to help with the swap.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Load

Well here is a few pics of my load on a friday, this one is on the smaller side but you can get the idea of what I'm pulling around for 400kms everyday

Also if any of you guys have some real solid tips on what really works for some real mpg gains I'd be very interested.
I have removed the EGR system on this unit just for space sake but I fear it might of had something to do with my less than great heat this last winter(it runs coolant through the egr system) It also throws a code "EGR low flow detected" so I'm wondering if a constant code in the memory for the egr system will cause the computer to do things differently that could effect mileage

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
That thing isn't squatting at all with all those newspapers. Did you beef up the rear springs?

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Loaded

Well its sitting almost level there with the load in it. It sits quite abit higher in the back empty. And yes, its does have an extra leaf added, soon to be a set of air springs I think.
I'll have to throw up a few pics of it empty, also the woman has been slow on making me some official badging to go on there, so when thats all done I'll put up a few pics of that aswell, like "Power by Volkswagen" and maybe a TDR for the box somewhere

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'd imagine because the frame and suspension of the ford is way stronger, and able to tow and haul far greater loads.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Load

Yep. it dosent look like it but that load in my truck there is just shy of 1500 lbs. I'm way over the ranger GVW there even, I'm not sure what the gvw on a rabbit thing is, but i`m sure its piddly. Plus that pic is a fairly light friday I eventually want this thing to do saturdays load on my run when the paper can go to 2 lbs a piece, and my load is 1500 papers.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Lone Ranger said:
Yep. it dosent look like it but that load in my truck there is just shy of 1500 lbs. I'm way over the ranger GVW there even, I'm not sure what the gvw on a rabbit thing is, but i`m sure its piddly. Plus that pic is a fairly light friday I eventually want this thing to do saturdays load on my run when the paper can go to 2 lbs a piece, and my load is 1500 papers.
I once had 1800 pounds of scrap aluminum in my old rabbit P/U... It went albeit slowly 30 miles to unload and still ran straight after that.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Last edited:

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
50MPG not so easy

Well after a year of operation and 120,000kms under its belt, I can say that 50mpg is alot harder to achieve than i thought. But even at 42-46 US MPGs for an average, is way more than good. I have a gas 2008 ranger that uses between 45 and 55 liters per day, the TDR uses between 28 and 33 liters. No complaints there and right around what i thought considering all the stop and start i do with a decent load almost everyday

My only complaint is diesel is more than damn gas right now. But outside that the only thing i can`t get this thing to do is get the cruise control to work, i`ve tried everything i can think of, and got nowhere. But now i`m content to just let my foot throttle it, its worked for 120K, so now i don`t think i`m gonna bother with it anymore.

mwrunt

TDI
1969 vw beetle 1.9aaz, 82 diesel westy, 1994 ranger soon to be aaz
i have ? please help

[/IMG]Hi there i wish i had found this before i started my build but anyways i am working on puting a aaz 1.9 td into my 94 ranger. I have a few ? first one is will the starter crank over your tdi and second is where exactly is the issue with the steering rack. My truck is ttb front end 2wd. Is yours the dual a arm setup?
I will let you know where i am at now!
As of this point my motor and tranny are bolted together everything works and it looks good. tomorrow i will start building the new oilpan to clear the starter and the ttb front end. the plate is really simple to make and doesnt take long and the only things u need is a lathe (this part can be farmed out) a set of transfer punch's, drills and a torch. If anyone is intersted a can do a step by step
[/IMG]

mwrunt

TDI
it looks sweet but i iam trying to figure out how to lift it and put a set of 31 in tires and build a headache rack so i have somthing to winch the moose and deer into the back of the truck :p
Newzboys said:
I honestly think I preffer this tdi truck

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
just go down to the boys in the hood and ask them where to get some airbags put on it

must say though, jackin it up and carrying moose won't do much good for milage

not sure if this is the right website for you Redneck Bob

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Make sure you attach the moose in the bed so that the antlers show over the top fom the front. A few hoiday tree lights wil enhance the effect. Don't forget to post pics! d;=)

mwrunt

TDI
Newzboys said:
just go down to the boys in the hood and ask them where to get some airbags put on it

must say though, jackin it up and carrying moose won't do much good for milage

not sure if this is the right website for you Redneck Bob
what rednecks arnt allowed to have fuel mizers. i would love to have a caddy but it just isnt practical. I use my truck as a truck i have a 166 acres i have to tend to as well as building a house at this point. As well as i think i am the furthest thing from a redneck. Yes i hunt and fish but its a way of life for me. I hunt and fish for food not for sport i will never fish catch and release nor will i shoot for a trophy. i have been running vehicles on wvo for 8 years its more of a enviromental thing for me. i would take less offense to being called a hippy