Broken timing belt, come join the fun! Now w/ PICS

tarbellb

TDI
2000 GLS Black 4dr Golf TDI
Bought a 00 Tdi golf w/ 88k. Checked the belt before i got it, said NAPA, so it was replaced. Driving down from Denver to Albuquerque at 85mph, and the car dies??? After a good time in Pueblo, CO (closest city to breakdown), i tow the car to Steve, the local Tdi guru, and all around great guy.
Next day i show up and he's got my timing belt in his hand. shotty.
Heres the situation: tore down the engine to the block.

Head=definately got some bent valves and some cracked seats.

Piston= look ok?? check them out for yourself.

SO, the questions are. Where to locate a new/used head?

How do i check the piston/con-rods? are they for sures bent? thats what a local VW mech (not steve) is telling me.

oops, how do i post a pic??

thanks for the help

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Broken timing belt, come join the fun!!!

Have the parts magnafluxed to be sure there are no cracks that the eye cannot see. Most Engine shops can do this for a few bucks. Have them check the rods for staightness as well as for cracks. As for the head, hopefully someone has one for you. If the head itself is not damaged, the seats can be replaced. Might be cheaper, so ask around at what it will cost first. Should be like 300-400 to have the head re-done. A new head with all the valves and guides, etc will probably cost more. Get some prices. Call or PM Danix or Impex and see if they have new parts available or not.

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Re: Broken timing belt, come join the fun!!!

i had this happen to me in january. driving down the highway, bolt that holds the big pulley on sheared off and the belt snapped. the head was totally shot. i pulled it and it needed new everything. all the valves were bent, so i just bought all new lifters, seals, valves, guides, etc. and had a shop rebuild it and resurface it. it had 175,000 miles on it so i just had all the guides and everything replaced; you may not need to with only 88k but you probably don't want to ever rebuild a head again either, so it might be worth it to you to just replace everything. the guy at the shop said the lifters were mushroomed so bad he almost couldn't get them out. it ended up costing me about a grand i think (maybe more like 800, i'd have to go back and check), but if you only need a few valves, etc. it would be cheaper. if Impex has a head, i think its about 900 and way easier to just pop the new head on. my block and pistons looked fine. i took the chance and put it all back together with the new head and it works great now. it would be a good idea to have the block checked out; hopefully it's not damaged though. good luck.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White

You claim Steve is a TDI guru. Therefore, he should advice you what is the best stretgy.

tarbellb

TDI

Thanks for the heads up on the auction, ive been watching this one.
And Steve Carroll (Tdi club member scarroll)is a guru. I just didnt have the money to pay him to rip apart and diagnose my engine problems.
So heres the pics of the pistons:
Let me know, they dont look damaged to me?

And here the head/valves, bent up bad.

any info is appreciated, thanks

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf

Who put the new timing belt on and did you/they lock it down or did they /you take the cog off.
And did you replace the tensioner as well.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

I've seen pistons that looked like an angry John Henry beat them with a 6lb sledge.

These look pristene, as if nothing touched them at all. So forget about the rods, they'll be fine.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

I can vouch for the ebay seller. I bought an injection pump and injectors from him. That looks like a great deal to me!

dvsails

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI Wagon

I can vouch for the ebay seller. I bought an injection pump and injectors from him. That looks like a great deal to me!
I wouldn't wait around for someone else to grab it, the buy-it-now price is only $50 less than the opening bid and not worth loosing the head over. (Pardon the pun).

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI

yeah, that's a good deal on a head for sure, so grab it before someone else does. as far as the block goes, those pistons look even better to the eye than mine did (mine have 100,000 more miles though, alot more carbon), just make sure everything in the bottom end rotates through fine. spend the money to get it checked out if you can afford it. if not, i have no problems with mine after the tb broke and just popping on a new head. make sure you clean the gasket surface of the block really good, don't get anything in the cylinders, etc. i used a polishing disc for my drill and it came out pretty nice. not sure if that is the recommended way though.

tarbellb

TDI

Thanks for the help.
I dont know who did the timing belt, i bought the car used and just checked to make sure it had been replaced.
I ended up purchasing the head from ebay, looks like a good deal. He (seller) mentioned it was used for dyno test/ing, what does that mean?
I also purchased the Deluxe TB kit from dieselgeek.com, and bought the TB tool kit from metalnerd.com. Hopefully i will have a running TDI by the end of next week!
ONe issue that concerns me, I havnt figured out what snapped the belt yet. Tensioner feels good, and other pulleys look ok. What else could do this??

SCarroll

Veteran Member

Hi Brandon,
I am late in finding this post, but glad that you were able to find a deal on the head. I would have tried to give the pistons a depth Micrometer reading at TDC and compared them to each other, but the pic's look as though things were quite lucky for the lower end.
I would suggest the waterpump kit as they do go bad, I just last night saw a 2.0 Liter gasser with a trashed belt due to a failure to the pump. Shaft or bearing went out, the pulley cut a hole into the plastic cover.
Do not worry about the diagnosis if things go wellon reassembly you should do fine. I can set the timing when you get to that point. give me a call.
Steve

tarbellb

TDI

Hey steve, thanks for the reply. Im waiting for the head to arrive from canada, should be here early this week. I have order the deluxe TB kit w/ WP from dieselgeek.com. Im sure i may have a question or two for you once reassembly goes into effect. I'll give ya a call.