Need help with my garrett gt17 turbo.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Well I went to rebuild my gt17 turbo the other day and the backer plate on the intake side is cracked.

Now I'm having problems finding parts for this turbo. The model is a gt17 and the garrett part number is 778445-5002s.

I'm finding a lot of parts for the gt1749v or vb turbo but not just the standard gt17. Does anyone know if these internals are interchangeable or where to find the right parts for my turbo? Thanks Dan

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If I understand you correctly, are you talking about the brass thrust plate, or are you talking about the aluminum frame on the compressor side?

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Sorry I know my terms aren't right.

It would be the flat aluminum plate (maybe frame) on the compressor side that the intake housing fits on.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Not a VNT17, but quite similar.

So, are you talking about the plate behind the Impeller in the pic below?

Edit; Below is a side view... best I have in my photo gallery.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It would be easier and less expensive to get a new CHRA (the entire rotating assembly both hot and cold sides) or if you are not in a hurry you can send the CHRA out to be rebuilt for a little less money. PM me if you want, I know of a couple of reputable rebuilders.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
I'm fine with replacing the whole unit CHRA if someone could point me in the right direction to find a replacement for this turbo.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Backplate or seal plate is the name of the part I'm looking for. Got a email into garrett but if anyone knows where I could pick one up for this turbo that would be great.