www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old November 24th, 2018, 14:59   #16
soma56

TDI(s): BEW PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
True, although the switch does provide a easy way to go between "stock" and "a value I have determined that works".

EXACTLY.

Quote:
Another thing that occurs to me is the entire thing assumes the OEM fuel temperature sensor decreases its resistance as temperature goes up... if this is not the case adding resistance in series will trick the ECU in the wrong direction.

Presumably those that recommend a 2K additional resistor have confirmed this... but ya never know on the interwebs?!

That's a good point that I never considered. I suppose if one was inclined they could remove the sensor, add heat to it and see what the wire does in response to heat and/or cold although, given the number of positive responses in addition to those that have plugged in their VAG systems I'm confident they have it right.
soma56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 15:31   #17
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Another thing that occurs to me is the entire thing assumes the OEM fuel temperature sensor decreases its resistance as temperature goes up... if this is not the case adding resistance in series will trick the ECU in the wrong direction.
Indeed, thermistors used in temperature sensing applications are usually of the NTC (negative temperature coefficient) type, i.e. resistance decreases as temperature rises. A PTC thermistor in a sensing application would be unusual.
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 22:21   #18
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

The hotter the ECU thinks the fuel temperature is, the more it retards the timing. The fuel temp sensor has always been the primary foe of the folks running WVO. There is one logic when setting up a WVO engine is to use larger sized nozzles and set the pump up advanced compared to stock at any given RPM. I used to ask some of the tuners I spoke with, "Why don't you code the ECU to not pull the timing back when the fuel heats up?" I never really got what I thought was a solid answer; I will say that was over ten years ago, so maybe I have forgotten.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote