North American vs. European Models

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
I feel silly asking this, but I truly don't know.

I was talking to a guy that lived in Germany up until 20 years ago and he isn't that familar with VW's stateside.

Here in the states, my car is a 2003 Jetta Wagon. What would it be called in Germany? He's under the impression that it's a Golf over there. I don't know enough about the badging over there to give him an answer.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Outside of the US, Jetta wagons are Golf wagons. In fact, the 2010 Jetta Sportwagon is called a Golf Sportwagon in Canada, if I am not mistaken.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
TornadoRed said:
"Station wagon" is a really outmoded term, because hardly anyone drives to the station anymore. "Estate" makes more sense, if you own an estate and travel to and from it. "Variant" is a useful word, but pretentious; we are just so accustomed to using the word "wagon".
Wouldn't you think "Estate" is more pretentious than "Variant" which seems more to the point?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
anahata said:
Wouldn't you think "Estate" is more pretentious than "Variant" which seems more to the point?
You may be right, except neither estate nor variant is used at all in the US. Either word will impress people with your sophistication, though few will understand why.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
"Estate" makes more sense, if you own an estate and travel to and from it.
After sixty years odd of wealth redistribution in Britain most of the people who own "Estates" live on housing estates. Those who still own a country pile tend to favour the Range Rover :rolleyes:

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
TornadoRed said:
You may be right, except neither estate nor variant is used at all in the US. Either word will impress people with your sophistication, though few will understand why.
***** LOL