Rear Axle Beam Bushing. What's the deal with this?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Rear Axle Beam Bushing. What\'s the deal with this?

Below, I have posted an image of a rear axle beam for an A4 Golf. Item #8, according to Bentley is not replaceable if you have the hydraulic bushing, which I have on my car. The Bentley says that the whole beam needs replacement if this bushing goes bad. Is this true? If so, what a terrible design. Be aware that there are two types of bushings. Rubber and the Hydraulic bonded rubber. You have the hydraulically bonded bushing if you have the counterweight on attached to the middle of the rear beam. You will see the two silver bolts. I have gone from a rattling noise, to a squeak.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Re: Rear Axle Beam Bushing. What\'s the deal with t

the bushing is pressed into the beam... just need to take the beam off the car and take it to someone to get it pressed out.. and replace it with the other one...if the fluid bushing isnt available. do you know if they are interchangeable?

either way you are gonna be without a rear axle beam for a couple of days to fix it.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Re: Rear Axle Beam Bushing. What\'s the deal with t

I don't know. How long should these things last? It seems a ratehr silly design that the whole rear beam needs to come off to replace this little bushing.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI

When I was younger, I worked at a M-B dealership. I watched a mechanic use Freon to freeze the bushing, easing it's way out.

Fait_pour_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Out of TDI still Dubbin

I believe the deal is if you have hydraulic bushings you cannot buy those separetely except if already mounted on axle beam.You need to replace them with regular type rubber bushings in a pair,you cannot mismatch types on a car.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

I believe the deal is if you have hydraulic bushings you cannot buy those separetely except if already mounted on axle beam.You need to replace them with regular type rubber bushings in a pair,you cannot mismatch types on a car.
That is what I thought. anyone know what the life expectancy is on these things? I only have 46K on the car.

Fait_pour_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Out of TDI still Dubbin

I just had mine replaced when the car had 190,000 kms (120,000 miles).I bought car used and the previous owner changed many parts not knowing he should have done the rear axle bushings.I have replaced these bushings on my previous Golf A2 but at higher mileage and older.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

Good info !!!

I needed them replaced on my 1986 Jetta TD at around 550,000 km... my 1992 went to 701,000 with the originals...

Hopefully I'll be able to wait a little while before needing this done to my 2003... (164,000 km in 22 months)

Yuri.