HELP! Keep getting "01050 glow plug monitoring intermittent" TDI ALH

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
Car is a 1998 NB TDI. 5-speed.

Cars performance seems to be fine- starts, runs and drives fine. Just keep getting this code. I clear it, and shows up again a couple days later. I have read that is a problem for AHU TDI's but I haven't been able to find much ALH engines and this issue.

Anyone know of anything that I could check right away??

I have been told that it could be the glow plug harness.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
good link but does not really address my specific fault code.

More help please.

Also, where can I get a glow plug harness...besides at the dealer??

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
meisterleipz said:
good link but does not really address my specific fault code.

More help please.

Also, where can I get a glow plug harness...besides at the dealer??
Au contraire mon ami, what you need to realize is on your car the code number is for all 4 cylinders, whereas on the 02 it can identify the cylinder a bit closer. But it is the same code meaning.

=====================================================

Thanks to info from Wingnut, I have not had the error code for the glow plugs show up since Thursday. Before, at least every other start the codes would show up.

His suggestion was to buy some DeoxIT D5 and spray the connectors both sides, plug and harness. This stuff has lots of other uses too.

This is where I found it in Burlington at 5109 Harvester Rd. unit B2 at Parts Connexion for $ 20.70 tax incl. for a 5oz spray can. They will ship it too. A long way from home, but I tied it in with another errand. Some other place in Mississauga is $ 5.00 more.

Last edited:

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
So, I worked my way through the thread to try and figure this thing out but still have not.

I am not getting any of the codes that are listed in the glow plug 101 thread:

16764 / P0380 code (Glow plug/heater circuit electrical fault (Q6))
17055 / P0671 code (Cylinder 1 Glow plug circuit (Q10))
17056 / P0672 code (Cylinder 2 Glow plug circuit (Q11))
17057 / P0673 code (Cylinder 3 Glow plug circuit (Q12))
17058 / P0674 code (Cylinder 4 Glow plug circuit (Q13))

I am getting the following code: 01050 glow plug monitoring intermittent

I tested the harness and fine, plugs are fine (changed a few thousand kms ago), etc. I have also used some electrical connector cleaner but has not helped.

Anymore input?

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
I had this problem too. It seems like every time I disconnect the battery I get it. I haven't had it since I last disconnected it.

The last thing I did was splice the two GP wires into one, making it impossible for my ECU to actually see if any are not working (which I'm okay with, I'll do an ohm test ever 20k or something). I haven't had the CEL since then, but I did have it as soon as I hooked the battery up and started the car. I cleared the code, and now it's been two weeks. I haven't disconnected my battery since then, so I'm not sure if it will show up the next time I do.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
ok...I swapped out my sister's glow plug relay (from her golf TDI) with my mine and I still have not had the engine light come on after 2 days of driving! Looks like it is a bad relay. But the funny thing is, my sister's tdi has not thrown 01050 yet with my "bad" relay. Not sure what is going on...I will give it a few more days...

Last edited:

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Could just have been the corroded relay contacts. Taking it out and pushing it back in might just have fixed the problem.

johnastephens

TDI
1997 Red Passat, 2005 Grey Jetta, 1998 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 975 HP 22 MPG
DeoxIT D5 Ebay 16.95 Free Shipping