Best cold air intake

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
You've gotta be specific, are you looking to add power? How much power...alh or bew, 5 speed or auto

If you want help give us some bones

Edit:. Didn't notice what thread this was in...no clue what you want

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oulie2309

TDI
2012 Golf
2012 golf auto...I’m looking to increase mpg and power..i don’t wanna do anything that will void warranty due to the lifetime drivetrain warranty

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
2012 golf auto...I’m looking to increase mpg and power..i don’t wanna do anything that will void warranty due to the lifetime drivetrain warranty
I'd contact kerma or Malone and get a tune from one of them, that'll get you more power and efficiently. A tune will be the easiest reversible power adder.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

Stage 2 tune, malonetuning.com. Responsive and from all reports,
give good service.

Research these forums, there's a LOT of information to absorb.
Like I said before, read the thread at the top of this forum about

cold air intakes. Then I highly recommend this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133342

That'll keep you busy. Lol, then get back to us. TDIs are a different
animal than the gasser world.

Reactions: Ton

Oulie2309

TDI
2012 Golf
Iv owned diesels all my life just nvr nothing this small ?...i currently have a 2018 Cummings with a 10” lift on 40s but my drive to work is 7hrs every 2 weeks so I figured I’d get a tdi ??

Oulie2309

TDI
2012 Golf
So before i start another stupid already answered thread...can some one show me the way to a tire and wheel thread...what’s the widest tire and wheel that can be put on these cars...thanks in advance

Will Halsey

TDI
MK6 Golf 4-door
If you want a cheaper all around good cold air intake look at AFE intakes. They gain some power and create a nice blow off sound for mk6's. But i would start with a tune before you do that.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Designed to separate people that drive Brodozer trucks from their money. Notice that the claimed performance gains state "up to" XXX performance gains which is a meaningless statement.. https://afepower.com/cold-air-intake-systems

A chip tune would give you actual performance gains with your factory CAI that would put a smile on your face..............

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Then leave it absolutely stock. There is nothing to be gained by changing the air intake.

VW will use any excuse to deny warranty coverage. If warranty coverage is paramount ... leave it absolutely stock. Don't touch a thing outside of documented scheduled maintenance.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Then leave it absolutely stock. There is nothing to be gained by changing the air intake.
VW will use any excuse to deny warranty coverage. If warranty coverage is paramount ... leave it absolutely stock. Don't touch a thing outside of documented scheduled maintenance.
This. If you want to keep your warranty just drive it and maintain it as VW produced it.
OR
From the info on your "Cummings" youve got alota money to blow so forget the warranty and mod it into a coma with a turbo eater 5000 CAI and a nice Stage 2 custom tune with DPF delete kit with larger turbo. That should eat about $5000 to start. Then a new turbo every couple years there after at $1000 a pop till ya put the factory air cleaner back on.
AND
A guy can also get bag kits or hydraulics to get the oil pan as low to the ground as you can and this would support many spinner wheel options. Maybe some dubs with 235/10-22 bands as well.
Happy motoring and welcome to the club.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
This thread... is turning out to be... GREAT!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So before i start another stupid already answered thread...can some one show me the way to a tire and wheel thread...what’s the widest tire and wheel that can be put on these cars...thanks in advance

let me get this straight, you want a CAI for MPG gains, but then you also want wider tires for what? looks? handling?

You're two statements are counter productive, but at least a nice set of wheels will actually do something as you can look at them way more than a CAI,

That being said, you can prob find some VW Cadiz which are 19x9 ET50 that will technically fit but are stupid to own.

That being said 17x8 would be a nice meaty wheel that would still offer decent sidewall depending on tire, don't fear going up in size, 26.5" diameter will fit.

Take a look at these, you'll need 5x112 bolt specs, they are pretty common for VWs, pretty much anything that works for GTIs will work on this platform, but be warned they will take an MPG hit.

https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/hypergram/

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not only a MPG hit, but harsher ride, noisier, much more expensive tires with much shorter life. A lot of cons and very little pro.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
"bro sweet wheels" - pro!

as for fitting taller rubber, (225-55-17 will be going on the Alltrack next year) that should help with ride but yeah can't do anything with price of 17"

I figure if he's willing to spend money on a CAI, he's willing to spend money on just about anything "cool".

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm
This is the search engine linked at the top of TDI 101, it's my best friend.

Reality is that these car's benefit most in tuning and turbos. The second would be the exhaust and reduction of the back pressure.
At the top of upgrade section there's a whole write-up about the initial modifications and their benefit.
The other post worth reading is the best cold air intake stickied at the top of this forum.

Read stickied threads on the top of every forum first. Most of the information you want is located there, check it out, all of them please. For your most possible benefit and ours!

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
New to the tdi world..what’s the best intake for these motors...thanks
there is no such thing. Only thing that comes close is the swiss cheese mod for your air box but just leave it stock.
here read up on this and dont buy ricer parts that were made to sell at pepboys, use the parts that were made by multi billion $ companies whose job it is to make car parts.
you think you know more about a car part like an air filter then the engineer who made his career on this one part? I THINK NOT.

CAI are a scam, reduce power, damage engine internals, and ruin MAF's
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
"I don't want to void my warranty. Help me pick a not OEM quality part which will absolutely allow more debris into my turbo and engine. I know all about Diesels- I have a Duramacks"

You win the best comment prize.
Guys, I think he meant the Cummings Durex has taught him how to "mod" diesels, so how hard can a TDI be??

Great thread, needed the laughs.

And still laughing...

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
the oem one doesnt start to become a restriction untill after 300bhp

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk