Anyone post-fix done a tune? Gen 1 or other

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
New to tuning, don't know much about it. Looks like you buy software and apply it to your vehicle yourself via an interface of some sort.

2013 JSW still unmodified, 58,000 miles.

Going to keep it even though I should take the buyback because I'm being stationed in Japan next year and can't take a car with me. Will be back to the U.S. in about 2021.

Going to let my brother drive it in the interim so it doesn't sit.

Considered buyback but what I want is a diesel wagon with a manual transmission and I don't think I'll be able to find very many good options when I return from my overseas assignment.
Also, I love my wagon and I'm irrational.

Tried a Gen 1 and Gen 3 post-fix car on the dealer lot and when I got back into my unmodified Gen 1, just felt like my engine was smoother and healthier. I liken it to my carbureted fintail Mercedes with a manual choke. If you run it too lean, the engine sound is thin, and power is wanting. If you enrich the mixture a bit, the engine comes alive and power delivery is smooth and strong.

Considering the Kerma NEW Q-PRO Flash TDI Tuning for 2009-2014 Jetta, Golf, Beetle, Sportwagen and Audi A3 (+34whp & +95lb-ft) $649.

Soliciting thoughts on this and other tunes and how it works in a post-fix world.
I myself am not interested in DPF deletes and other drastic modifications. Would prefer a simple update to keep the engine running optimally post-fix.

Thanks

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
VW has moved some fault tables around, changed a couple parts, but nothing too crazy in terms of changes required for tuning. Motors are still essentially the same other than the exhaust, once tuned they all come out to be about the same performance wise. Can port flash them now that we've bench-flashed one of every ECU type to build a database, which is shared with all alientech customers (kerma etc). Both companies also offer military discounts.

Thank you for your service, and best of luck overseas!

Last edited:

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Thanks Owain! I'll look at Malone tuning options as well.

Simpleman76

TDI
2013 Jetta-buy back, 2015 Jetta SEL
I bought a new 2015 in May 17. I installed a Malone tune and was happy with the tune. I am currently in the process of deleting with Rawtek exhaust and installing another Malone tune for the delete. The customer service was excellent with both Malone and Rawtek. I am using the flashzilla to install the tunes.

marmur99

TDI
2014 Beetle DSG Sun+Sound+Nav; 2015 Touareg Lux
I think I will pull the trigger on stage2 + DSG tune for my "fixed" 2014 Beetle at some point. There's a few things that annoy me after the fix. The car drives nice but it's just not the same. And this lag when you press gas from full stop... It's nothing, nothing, nothing and bam, spinning wheels.
I've been waiting to see if anyone tuned their fixed gen1. Also, the extended warranty is my concern. Or rather losing it.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'd like a delete and tune to get rid of the dpf regens. They drive me crazy when they happen as I'm arriving at my destination, which seems to happen quite a bit for me. I also don't enjoy the way the car drives during the regen when I'm on minor roads with stops and starts. It's fine on the highway, but annoying around town. Also, after the fix, the smaller regens/fuel injection cycles are much more frequent and it bugs me the way the car drives in a jerky manner.

What gives me pause is the way it will affect the warranty. Also, the only shop I trusted has been less than remarkable. I didn't get what I asked for in one instance and in another instance they made questionable decisions that caused me to have to go back to the shop on multiple occasions to get things right. Now I'm not sure where I'd go to get a tune.

I checked the list of shops in Owain's link and found Trentec! That place sounds good. I think I'll call them today about something I want undone from the previous shop. I need a new place I trust to work on my TDI. I may have found them! They're even closer to my home.

Last edited:

joshhol

TDI
ksing44,

What i dont really understand about tuning but i think ive seen posted is that a tune won’t affect what VW did to the regens/post-combustion injection cycles etc. Basically they wont touch the emission aspect of the ECU. I could be wrong though.

I also wonder about warranty, need to read up on it more. I’m hoping “performance” tunes are ok. If they were’nt throwing so much money at us, I’d leave it alone as it runs great.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
ksing44,

What i dont really understand about tuning but i think ive seen posted is that a tune won’t affect what VW did to the regens/post-combustion injection cycles etc. Basically they wont touch the emission aspect of the ECU. I could be wrong though.

I also wonder about warranty, need to read up on it more. I’m hoping “performance” tunes are ok. If they were’nt throwing so much money at us, I’d leave it alone as it runs great.

^^There are different kinds of tunes, e.g., tunes with and without deletes. Note that the deletes are for off road use only, not legal to remove emission controls for driving on the street. I think any tune will mess up the warranty, if they can tell it was tuned. If you're happy with the car, you should probably just let it go.

Honestly, I'm also quite happy with my car. In fact, I love it. I just thought maybe now at over 150K miles it might be fun to try a tune and I'd be happy to get rid of the annoying things with the regens. I'll probably keep waiting. Maybe at 200K miles I'll go for it!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW's warranty can/will be voided if VW digs enough into the ECU after flash tuning. Flash counter is cycled each tune.

Remember the dealer can say one thing to your face but its VWoA that's cutting that warranty check.

joshhol

TDI
740GLE, what were your driving impressions of your 2015 Passat pre-fix, post-fix and post-fix w/Stage 2 Tune?