RNS 310-315 SD Card

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
The Manual says it can play .wma files (in stereo) up to 10. 10 what?

I naively thought that I could use an sd card to play lossless music through my stereo, but I get an error.

So the SD card can play mp3 files, bfd.

Who can help me?

Schwimmwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 GSW TDI bone stock waiting for warranty to expire...
The Manual says it can play .wma files (in stereo) up to 10. 10 what?

I naively thought that I could use an sd card to play lossless music through my stereo, but I get an error.

So the SD card can play mp3 files, bfd.

Who can help me?
Wife has the Premium 8 in her car (510?) and i did the same thing, I'm curious what the response will be here. (Maybe I should read the owners manual?)

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
You need one that goes up to 11. It's one louder.

Sorry, I had to. I don't know the answer to your question. I'm willing to settle for mp3 quality in the car. Unfortunately, the worst format is often the most universal.

jhs

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Rather general info with the hope it helps.

First time I did CD music rip via (if memory serves) Windows Media Player I had an issue with output to .wma format.
WMA files played with decent quality.
The problem was I could not play them on any other device than the computer they were made on.
It turned out that the M$ player included some sort of copyright protection in the .wma files.
I didn't bother digging in the options/preferences, just went straight with high bit rate MP3 format.

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
Yes, I have yet to figure if the error is because of the protection or the size of the file. I tried apple lossless with the same result. I am going to try to rip right to the SD card next in .wma and see if that gets rid of the restrictions. I can find how to let other users use the files other computers but not other "devices".

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
The 10 refers to the Version of WMA codec. Once M$ comes out with v11 and you try to rip CD's to that they will likely not play on the head unit.

Wikipedia:
All versions of WMA released since version 9.0 - namely 9.1, 9.2 and 10 - have been backwards compatible with the original v9 decoder and are therefore not considered separate codecs. The sole exception to this is the WMA 10 Professional codec whose Low Bit Rate (LBR) mode is only backwards compatible with the older WMA Professional decoders at half sampling rate (similar to how HE-AAC is backwards compatible with AAC-LC). Full fidelity decoding of WMA 10 Professional LBR bitstreams requires a WMA version 10 or newer decoder.