engine cranks but won't start

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Here is the background. My car was getting harder and harder to start, and the radio stopped working. On two occasions i had to jump the car. Today it would not jump and I got a replacement battery. The connections were clean and the wire to the starter was good. The radio works again but the car will still not start. I checked for relay 109 and saw that it was grey and not black. The ASV is operating normally. Any suggestions for additional troubleshooting until I grey a new 109 relay. Any help is greatly appreciated. The car never lost power or ran unusual once it was running.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Does the glow plug light come on at all? If not then it's probably the 109, you could try taking it out and giving it a tap on the ground a couple of times and see if that helps, it did for me.
Does the car crank well or is it slow? How's the earth strap to the gearbox?
If you slacken a fuel pipe on the top of one of the injectors is there fuel coming out?
Don't know what else at the moment.

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
The glowplug light illuminates for less than a second.
The car cranks very strong and quickly.
Connection to the gear box looks tight with no corrosion or visual issues (anything else I should check)
Im not suspecting any fuel issues at this time, everything seems to have been electrical the past couple of weeks.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was suggesting fuel because the shut off is electrical, there's not a lot that can stop them starting. They'll run crappy but still start if there's other problems. Any fault codes? Timing belt ok?

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
How long did you crank the engine for? Try for 25 seconds, or until you get the oil pressure light. Sounds like you may have air in your fuel lines. Are you running low on fuel?

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Well the fuel suggestion was spot on. I do not have any fuel leading the fuel filter, what is the most likely culprit. There is plenty of fuel in the car. I will prime all three components and see if i can start the car.

Last edited:

kenmaira

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 2001 1.9 ALH
Might want to replace the fuel filter, just in case. If that doesn't do it, do a diesel purge, always helps.

Dave

JonDiesel

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI w/01M
These are the same symptoms my 01 TDI had when the IP went bad... I was driving along and all of the sudden the car died and wouldn't start again. I'm not sure how you troubleshoot that, but the dealer & guru diagnosed mine. Maybe some of the gurus on here can speak to the IP issue?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two places I've read of on here are the top of the sender unit in the tank having a hairline crack and also the t piece on top of the filter. Don't forget to check the underside of any of the rubber pipes connected to the fuel system too and around any clips for breaks/cracks.

kenmaira

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 2001 1.9 ALH
The OP's engine is VE type, doesn't have a fuel sender, only a IP. However the T piece on top of the filter is generally the biggest issue with these cars.

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I am unable to prime the injector, and I'm now able to see a dripping of diesel on the underside of the injector pump. Is there an easy way to get under there to see where the leak is.

kenmaira

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 2001 1.9 ALH
Sounds like the IP is leaking, could reseal or get it resealed. Supposed to be not that hard, but, me knowing me, I'm afraid to work on the internals of such a critical component.

Good luck!

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Ok the car starts, but i still have the leak. It's well above my ability to remove the pump and fix the leak. Anyone in the Tampa area willing to help or know a good shop to go to.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
There's a how-to here about changing the IP seals while still in the car.

Last edited:

tommyt13

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Thanks for all the help guys. My TB has approx 75k miles on it, so I took the car to a mechanic to replace the TB and have the IP replaced with a rebuilt (2 year warranty). I need the car for a long trip next week and dont think I would have replaced the seals by then.