Mk6 Jetta headlights

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Has anyone upgraded their headlights on the mk6 Jetta? The factory beams suck so I’d like better lighting. Was looking into led or HID but there isn’t very much info on this upgrade. Any info will help!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I’m new to the mk6 so I have a lot of research and learning to do. I’m so use to mk4 just changing whatever you wanted out most of the time. Guess I’ll just do more searching to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the input tomo366.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
You can swap the factory HIDs in, but from what I've run across it's a ton of work, and they are really expensive.
You can google 'hid projector retrofit' (there are also several threads on the forums here), which is another option.
I'm with you on the stock lights absolutely sucking. I'm finally getting around to doing the retrofit on this car this week. I've hit a couple snags but these housings are enormous compared to the mk4 and it's been a pretty straightforward process.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
CTD_Checrolet are they big enough to withstand heat from leds running? I had led in my mk4 and never had a problem so maybe I should just drop in leds.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
CTD_Checrolet are they big enough to withstand heat from leds running? I had led in my mk4 and never had a problem so maybe I should just drop in leds.
I'd assume so if that's the route you wanted to go. The housing is probably twice the volume of the mk4 housing. There's also way more clearance between the back of the bowl and the back of the housing

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I’ve been meaning to get under the hood and look but as usual I’m either tied with something else or too lazy. A few things I read online said there is a major heat problem since led are so hot when running. I would think if my mk4 didn’t have a problem why would this mk6. Thanks for the input!!!