Need help troubleshooting

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
I've a 05 b5.5 Passat tdi. Malone tune lvl 1.5, BSM deleted, 5 micron fuel filter, Thor skid plate, and a rear sway bar.

My problem occurs randomly when I am stopped at a light. It feels like a gasoline engine missing: the rpms drop suddenly then pick back up. It throws no codes (checked with vagcom), even though it has caused me to stall out. The egr valve (my initial thought) is clean. The tandem pump and MAF are new. Torsion value is within specs, aND injector values are as well.

What do you think it may be? What do you recommend I check, or do to troubleshoot? What sensors should I log?

TIA

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have had similar symptoms from the 219 power relay next to the ECU going out. Good place to start and cheap insurance to replace even if it isn't the culprit in your case

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
The newer version of this relay is a bit more robust and it is that way for a reason. Fairly easy to change out.

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
Pulled the relay, looks brand new. Even checked, and aligned, the contacts. No corrosion, minor signs of use. I believe it is the newer type, with the 3 contacts.

Going to polish the blades, and put it back in.

Any other suggestions? Where is that oiljammer guy with his genius and decade of experience with this engine? :)

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
I suspect either the EGR or ASV valve. I know... They look fine.

Make sure both valves are in their home position. ASV will show a horizontal plate and your EGR should be fully closed. Unplug the electrics on both. You'll set codes and a CEL but the car should run just fine. If it does, and if your problem ceases, then one or the other is failed.

Plug just one back in and run the car. If the problem returns, then the valve you connected back into the system. If no problem, then the valve that remains unplugged.

And if neither be the cause? No harm done and you eliminated two possible problems.

I'd also have a look at your MAF sensors in real time. You could possibly have a contaminated or failing sensor. Do the valves first as I believe you'll find your problem there.

Good luck.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
So you took the outer cover off?

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
New & old version of 219

Per MOGolf photo below, new version relay 219 on left, old version (came installed in car) on right:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
It isn't the contacts that go bad, it is the solder joints that my go bad. Just replace it with the new improved version. Then you know that is good and can rule it out. It may very well solve the issue you are having. I would have a no start when mine went south.

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
I suspect either the EGR or ASV valve. I know... They look fine.

Make sure both valves are in their home position. ASV will show a horizontal plate and your EGR should be fully closed. Unplug the electrics on both. You'll set codes and a CEL but the car should run just fine. If it does, and if your problem ceases, then one or the other is failed.

Plug just one back in and run the car. If the problem returns, then the valve you connected back into the system. If no problem, then the valve that remains unplugged.

And if neither be the cause? No harm done and you eliminated two possible problems.

I'd also have a look at your MAF sensors in real time. You could possibly have a contaminated or failing sensor. Do the valves first as I believe you'll find your problem there.

Good luck.
Neither the asv or the egr seem to be the problem. The maf was replaced a few days ago, so that isn't the source of the problem.

The issue seems to be worse on hot days, after the car has been sitting in my work's parking lot for a few hours.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Remove the CKP sensor, clean the block really good (this is not easy to get at on the BHW), and clean the sensor itself.

Rust builds up on the block, and "pushes" the sensor out away from the crank tone wheel.

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
Super late reply -After 150k miles, turns out it was the torque convertor. I finally got the code of expensive repair, so it went to Carmax for a grand. I then purchased an ocean blue pearl 06 A3 sportback 2.0t sport (before s-line was a thing) with 28k on the odometer. It now sits next to my 2010 A3 sportback tdi premium plus s-line.
I still miss the passat, though. Damn good car.

Last edited: