Upper control arm problem

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I didn't realize that when installing upper control arms they need to be installed in their normal resting position, before tightening the bolts/nuts. I removed the old control arms first, they were loose. It wasn't until I had the upper strut mount fastened in the car that when I pulled the arms down that the control arms didn't just pivot, but almost were binding because of how upright they were. At this stage in the game what is the best method of tightening them in their correct position?

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Is there an angle in relation to the strut tower they should be installed in? I'm going to take the other side off soon, so if the UCA don't just drop, then I guess I can use that setting then?

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
So that I don't leave this open ended... I took off the passengers side upper control arm assembly and was able to use it to get the drivers side lined up with it. And there you have it!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh I just took note of their position when I've done them but they weren't all loose and hanging out, only had to change them due to worn ball joints so far.