Oil filter socket/wrench: need advice

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Fellas,

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which has been serviced by the dealer from the beginning

I’m coming up on 80,000 miles . Just ordered a Miti-Vac 7201 extractor. I plan on doing the fluid changes from here on in.

I’ve been searching online and can’t seem to find a definitive answer for the type of socket size or wrench that fits the cover for the oil filter.

I was going to order the Mobil 1 ESP motor oil. Is there a special brand of shelter that I should be looking to buy?

Can any of you guys give me the answer on this? A link to a supplier would be a plus.

Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Fellas,

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which has been serviced by the dealer from the beginning

I’m coming up on 80,000 miles . Just ordered a Miti-Vac 7201 extractor. I plan on doing the fluid changes from here on in.

I’ve been searching online and can’t seem to find a definitive answer for the type of socket size or wrench that fits the cover for the oil filter.

I was going to order the Mobil 1 ESP motor oil. Is there a special brand of shelter that I should be looking to buy?

Can any of you guys give me the answer on this? A link to a supplier would be a plus.
Thanks
Everything you need oil, wrench, filter etc can be acquired from
https://www.idparts.com/

If you have any questions you can call or email them.

PS .please define "special brand of shelter"

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
for my 2010 it needs to be a short socket. a deep socket will not fit. At the auto parts store my son manages, the sockets were hanging on the wall next to the pickup diesel oil filter rack. 32mm short 6 point.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
There are filter specific 32mm sockets. They tend to be very short. Also You'll have to take the small 10mm bolt for the fuel line off before you can get to the oil filter housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I tried to steer the OP in a direction that would solve all these questions in a previous post here. Then you guys come by two days later and clutter it all up.

Simple Simon https://www.idparts.com/32mm-oil-filter-wrench-idparts-p-4330.html

https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cbeacjaa-p-1135.html

There is also this. About Rotella T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman
I'm fairly new here. What are the specs on this motor oil? classification?

Well, I don't know all the specs of T6 but whatever they are they are not and do not meet VW 504/507 and it is not VW approved for your engine. :mad: use it if you like your car will not explode. Long term you may have an exhaust component premature failure. ie. dpf.

I pointed the OP to correct oil for his car a very large selection of 507 approved oils on IDParts website.
Then he asked about Rotella T6.

Why piecemeal everything to change the oil? It all can be had there at a very fair price and available from one source?
Edit..........Disclaimer. I have no affiliation with IDParts. I don't even know the guys. They do support this forum.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
There are filter specific 32mm sockets. They tend to be very short. Also You'll have to take the small 10mm bolt for the fuel line off before you can get to the oil filter housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuel line does not have to be touched.

get one of the 3/8 inch drive sockets made for oil filters, and use a long extension. a wobble one is nice, but not required.

here is yet one more option for said socket:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Socket-Ecotec/dp/B0009OMYAQ

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-pc-wobble-socket-extension-set-61278.html

another useful tool is tech data.

erwin is the best, but an alldatadiy.com subscription for your car would be helpful for torque specs and the like.

these are sprinkled here and there,

but it can help to get it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FWIW, the oil filter socket, the specific short 3/8" drive one, is the same for the 2.2L/2.4L GM Ecotec engines (they have filter assemblies supplied by Hengst). So it is an easily found tool, NAPA, Autozone, and others have them on the shelf usually.

It is easier to remove the T30 bolt on the right (as looking at it) end of the coolant vent tube, and loosen the one on the left end, so that pipe can be moved out of the way to make the filter easier to get out. Not absolutely necessary, just makes it easier.

Loosen, but do not remove, the filter cap and let the oil drain down into the engine. I do that first, then proceed to service the rest of the car. By the time everything else (tire rotation, other filters if called on for that service, other checks, etc.) is done, and the oil has been draining out the bottom, then the filter will have been drained, and the mess is negligible.

The oil spec is 507.00... I have only ever seen this in 5w30, and all are synthetic of course. Pentosin, Castrol, Motul, Lubromoly, all have a product available in this country that meets this requirement.

I will place another vote in favor of IDparts, as they'll have everything you need.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Mann or Mhale were the ones I used.

Again IDparts sells kits (oil and filter) that you can add the filter housing socket as an add on.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I tried to steer the OP in a direction that would solve all these questions in a previous post here. Then you guys come by two days later and clutter it all up.

Simple Simon https://www.idparts.com/32mm-oil-filter-wrench-idparts-p-4330.html

https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cbeacjaa-p-1135.html

There is also this. About Rotella T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman
I'm fairly new here. What are the specs on this motor oil? classification?

Well, I don't know all the specs of T6 but whatever they are they are not and do not meet VW 504/507 and it is not VW approved for your engine. :mad: use it if you like your car will not explode. Long term you may have an exhaust component premature failure. ie. dpf.

I pointed the OP to correct oil for his car a very large selection of 507 approved oils on IDParts website.
Then he asked about Rotella T6.

Why piecemeal everything to change the oil? It all can be had there at a very fair price and available from one source?
Edit..........Disclaimer. I have no affiliation with IDParts. I don't even know the guys. They do support this forum.
Unless Shell reformulated it again, the T6 SAPS is 1.00, not the required .8 max.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks again for the tips.

This Saturday I will be doing the engine oil change. I’ve got a MANN filter (with O ring) and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 ESP. I forgot to ask does this drain plug require a crush washer?

I am also going to be doing the DSG service. I ordered the complete kit from ID Parts.

I have watched a bunch of videos on it. I got a very helpful tip hear about refilling the fresh DSG fluid from the top through the filter housing. I bought a round 6 quart drain pan with measuring marks on the side. The way I understand it if I removed 4.6 liters then I need to refill with that amount. I got one of those Long funnels with the flexible plastic tube and shut off valve.

I am also planning on doing the fuel filter change. I just received the Ross tech cable today and have downloaded the software to my laptop. I have watched all the videos and I’m hoping to get this all done in about five hours.

This is going to be my first attempt at servicing the vehicle myself. Thanks for all the helpful tips!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thanks again for the tips.

I forgot to ask does this drain plug require a crush washer?
I have watched all the videos and I’m hoping to get this all done in about five hours.

If you bought a new drain plug it will have a new crush washer. It is captive as you will learn after you remove it. If you did not buy a new bolt the one you have will probably be fine. Just buy a new one next time.

If I was you and this is your first time to replace the fuel filter, oil change, and DSG fluid and filter I would plan for a full day. Not just 5 hrs. You will learn many things as you proceed. This is a bit of character building in my book. Next oil and filter change will be a breeze. :)

Edit: It is probably time to rotate your tires and inspect your brake pads.

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah you’re probably right it’s going take longer the first time.

I was planning on pulling the tires and checking the brakes. From what I understand these vehicles have a rear brake assist bias. I’ve been told that the rear brake pads wear faster than the front brake pads.

What brand or type of brake pads and rotors work best on these vehicles? Also any links?

I was planning on ordering one of those Miti-Vac Pressurized brake flush kits with the adapter for the master cylinder. This way I can bleed the brake lines.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What brand or type of brake pads and rotors work best on these vehicles? Also any links?

I was planning on ordering one of those Miti-Vac Pressurized brake flush kits with the adapter for the master cylinder. This way I can bleed the brake lines.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!
When it comes to brake parts as has been said before IdParts is your friend and you can call them anytime and they will tell you much more about brake parts than I can. I have yet to replace mine.

Don't buy anything until you inspect and measure the pads. Just complete your 80k service and rotate the tires. Of course, if the tires are original think about replacing them. If not drive more worry less and cross each bridge as you encounter it. Don't overthink what is not necessary. Happy 4th of July. With the other service's you had at a dealer did they flush the brakes? You can also bleed the brakes at a later date, don't overthink and pack too much into 1 day. Your car will survive. With all this stuff you want to buy .how often will you use it? Sometimes it's less expensive to let someone else do it for you.:)

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
^^^ Agreed

And inspect your suspension rubber too, the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc while your melon is in the region.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
These are the second set of tires. I did not like the tires that came with the vehicle. I went with the Perelli‘s second time around.

Yes the dealer did flush the brake lines at one point. When do they normally do it? I can’t remember but I’m guessing it might’ve been around 40,000 miles.

I plan on rotating the tires and just looking at the brake pads and rotors. Then the next time around I will flush the brake lines.

When the time comes around to do the brakes are there better brake pads and rotors that I should be looking for?

Enjoy July 4th!

Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
When the time comes around to do the brakes are there better brake pads and rotors that I should be looking for?
Enjoy July 4th!
Thanks
Ask again at that time when you know you need them. Planning ahead is great but man don't buy what you don't need until you know you need it. There are many choices for rotors and pads all depending upon what you want. The OE stuff is very good.:)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you bought a new drain plug it will have a new crush washer. It is captive as you will learn after you remove it. If you did not buy a new bolt the one you have will probably be fine. Just buy a new one next time.

Single use copper crush washers stopped ageeeeesss ago.

Every CRD I've owned (all 3 gens sold in the US) had a captive steel washer that never leaked in the 15 or so oil changes I've done over +200K miles. This includes the '15 Passat that I changed the oil on last weekend.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Single use copper crush washers stopped ageeeeesss ago.
Every CRD I've owned (all 3 gens sold in the US) had a captive steel washer that never leaked in the 15 or so oil changes I've done over +200K miles. This includes the '15 Passat that I changed the oil on last weekend.

Are you saying that you’ve just kept using the original drain plug and never had a leak?

I was just on ID Parts again and ordered a magnetic drain plug that comes with 10 copper washers.

Are there any downside to using these magnetic oil pan drain plugs?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Are you saying that you’ve just kept using the original drain plug and never had a leak?
I was just on ID Parts again and ordered a magnetic drain plug that comes with 10 copper washers.
Are there any downside to using these magnetic oil pan drain plugs?

I have 17 bottom side oil changes using the factory plug with captive steel washer. No leaks. Seems wasteful to replace it with every change.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I put in a magnetic drain plug, and it stayed clean for 50,000 miles. (it got oily, but no magnetic residue to speak of.)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yup, I considered it a way VW was going above and beyond making the cars "clean diesel", one less thing to toss away. :D

If you really want to enjoy life get a fumoto, when I drained the '15 passat the other day i wasn't prepaired for the waterfall and missed a cup or so worth as it splashed in and out of my oil catch tub. I guess the flow of 5.5qts was a bit more than i was used to when dropping 4.5qts of the previous gens.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What is a fumoto??

Any details or links?

You don't need that either. 740GLE was speaking about the engine he has in his current ride. Every part of changing the oil in that car is messy. Yours is not. You keep thinking your missing something........ you're not, just change the oil with what you have and drive more, worry less. It is just an oil change, not a life-changing ordeal.