Airbag connector help (NOT under the seat)

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hi, I have a "resistance too high" side curtail (passenger's head)airbag and I lowered part of the headliner to get to it so I can use DeOxit contact cleaner on it. I already did the airbag connector right above the passenger tail light. That was clean anyway. I hear the one above the headliner (about 4-6 inched in, connected directly to the side curtail airbag assembly) could also have corrosion and need to be cleaned.

I can get to the connector fine, but I can't see how it comes off? I see there is a flap that holds it engaged, I have lifted that all the way up and tried lightly pulling the connector, lightly prying it with a plastic trim pry tool, nothing. I see part of the connector is purple. Is that a lock? If so how does that work?

I have my headliner hanging down in the wagon until I figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS: I checked my Bentley, they don't go over how to undo the connector from what they say in the airbag section.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GxiNurYnNgMkk2ZG7

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yeah, air bag connectors must have a different design standard than other connectors since they latch differently than the others. :)

Flip up the yellow hood, as you've figured out, and then look carefully at the center of the connector itself where all the wires enter. Right in the middle of the cluster of wires you should see a rectangular tab of yellow plastic, to one side of a rectangular hole. Push the tab towards the other side of the rectangular hole its in to unlatch the connector.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
After looking at the picture I remembered the trick. The purple part allows you to disassemble the plug to pull the wires out.

I'm your pic if you look at your picture on the top left you see a clip and there's one on the other side. You have to pull the plug of the roof and open it like a clam shell to release and pull the plug apart.
It's a pain to put back together also you have to open it and slide it together then close it.
On the right of the pic just above the wires you can see the hinge of the plug, it's crazy, but it opens like that.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the responses! That was it Vince, I would have never seen that tab you were talking about. Well the factory connection looked perfect?!? So did the one in the taillight (code was for passenger side head airbag). I still used the Deoxit, bit I don't anticipate it will shut the code off. I'll reset it with my VCDS and check....

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ok, even though it looked corrosion free, it appears that the Deoxit did it's trick! The airbag light cleared, I restarted the car and it's still off. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks so much Team TDI!!!