Unrelated to Californians

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
I heard recently that because of water shortages in Cali, that almond trees are being watered using "fracking water". That stuff is poisonous. Anyone know?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I bet that if they are using fracking waste water it's being filtered/treated first.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I heard recently that because of water shortages in Cali, that almond trees are being watered using "fracking water". That stuff is poisonous. Anyone know?
Why would it be poisonous? Got facts?:confused:

Wells in Ca and other oil and gas producing states have been fraccing formations for 80+ years. I mean it's *not new*.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
almonds - fracking water

In New York state fracking has been outlawed because of the poisonous effect in Pennsylvania in ground water wells. From what I hear the fracking water has salt and other chemicals to make the rock open up to release the gas. How much of that poisonous water gets into the almonds is a question to know, but fracking water is not drinkable if you care about your health. Normally these hazardous chemicals are disposed in very deep injection wells. Oklahoma and Texas have polluted the ground with many of these injection wells. Don't they care or is the petro industry that powerful. I do care about my health!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
In New York state fracking has been outlawed because of the poisonous effect in Pennsylvania in ground water wells. From what I hear the fracking water has salt and other chemicals to make the rock open up to release the gas. How much of that poisonous water gets into the almonds is a question to know, but fracking water is not drinkable if you care about your health. Normally these hazardous chemicals are disposed in very deep injection wells. Oklahoma and Texas have polluted the ground with many of these injection wells. Don't they care or is the petro industry that powerful. I do care about my health!
Got it! We'll get right on it soon! Thanks for the warnings. ;)

Like cars? Better get an electric one because gasoline is made from crude oil and if the oil and gas industry is shut down, you won't be driving your current car.:eek:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
No, Fracking water is not being used to water plants. It is being pumped directly into the Calif. Aquaduct, diluted to "safe" levels and used as drinking water/Kool Aide mix for the general California population. Each political party is convinced this will improve there base voter turnout for the next election.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Guessing the nice folks living in NY, use a fair amount of "stuff" made from crude. "Not in my back yard" issues?

And speaking of NIMBY issues:

....wishing VW (or someone) would go all out to build a diesel car (like a golf?) size wise.

That was built only for the highest possible MPG. Manufacture, and sold in a really awful dirty air place. (China?)

Shoot for 250 MPG. Seat 4-5, top speed 80-90-ish MPH, CURB weight 3,000 LB. etc., etc.

Then take that tech, and reverse engineer back to a reasonable amount of air poison.

Trying to get to a level of approx 100 MPG

Last edited: