ATF in Fuel Tank?

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
I have a few liters of synthetic ATF fluid that is sitting on my garage shelf that is leftover when I used to have an auto trans in my Passat. Now enjoying a 5-speed manual.

Anyone see any issues with putting a couple of ounces in the fuel tank?

Kind of hate to just dump it in the oil recycle bin.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I would have no issue running it through my ve pump. Your PD probably won't have any complaints about the friction modifiers and detergent package either.
The only thing is the dye. I'm not sure if it's similar to untaxed diesel dye but I know I wouldn't want to get caught with red dye in mydiesel, if they dip the tank.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm not sure that I would do it on our cars, but on my 80's MB, ATF was used in the power steering system.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You could always just give it to someone with an automatic.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Is this new ATF or used?

If new, I would have no issues pouring in a liter with a tank of fresh diesel. The car won't notice the difference and neither will you.

Used should go straight into the oil recycling.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Some do it regularly in diesels for added lubricity.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
I have used 2 stroke oil in my diesels but I thought ATF had an additive that helped the clutches not slip ?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Guys, you are talking about putting in a bunch of chemicals that are totally incompatible with the system

At best you will poison the DOC, you have no idea what it will do to the inside of the injectors.

It is no longer a good thing to put anything into ULSD other than an approved additive.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
As far as I know VW doesn't​ recomend or has aproved any additive to the fuel.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
There were additive approved by EPA as not poisoning the emissions systems

Much like having lead in your new vehicle, it would kill the catalytic (story of out of fuel on a cycle and the guy was worried about me putting aviation leaded fuel in it!)

So, no VW does not approve additives. Of course they don't need it.

But my DOC apparently got a bit too much 500 ppm diesel (Ak had an exemption to that level) and smokes badly (ergo Smokerr moniker) if I don't put in a dose of additive every 4 ort 5 tanks now)

I could never prove it was smoking, take it into dealer and nothing. On the way home clouds of smoke.

Then my wife tells me, it stopped smoking and it always smokes on that steep hill up to So and so. Hmmm.

So yes it works, 102k now, doing fine and the additive obviously does something.

But it also is a specific additive for diesel by an injection pump mfg (no longer made but I have a stock pile)

Purely found out by accident as I wanted to ensure I had enough lubricity in the then new ULSD in winter.

Other additives out there and our fuel supplier for facility engines actually adds it into their diesel automatically now. They wanted insurance as well.