Matt Phelan/Matt-98AHU now wrenching in San Anselmo

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Congrats!! What a process to go thru. Wife and I will have to do a road trip and bring my 04 back to Matt for some work.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Hella good news! Congrats to you two. Sounds like business will be good. I know I'll be sending more folks your way. :D

And a hella unrelated question. In Seattle, who can run a voltage output test for me on the camshaft adjuster solenoid valves on a W8 Passat? :eek:

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hella good news! Congrats to you two. Sounds like business will be good. I know I'll be sending more folks your way. :D

And a hella unrelated question. In Seattle, who can run a voltage output test for me on the camshaft adjuster solenoid valves on a W8 Passat? :eek:
Thank you, Ronnie! Come down and visit once you can get off the mountain, yeah? :) It has been a process, but now it's real..and we're PSYCHED.

Chris, I don't even know what to say. I laughed so hard at that post :D:D:D:D:D

You all are too much. Thank you for the continued love.

deegingerkid

TDI
Things are still going well! We really need to extend a thanks to our TDI club friends and supporters. You all have been great!

We still have plenty of time slots available for work. Feel free to email me diedre.mears@gmail.com for any questions or appointments.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I was good to see Matt in his new shop today, looking very content... not having to schlep 400 pounds of tools around in the back of the car everyday makes a man smile!

We went over my car, and determined that I'm going to get a new Borg-Warner turbo real soon now. :cool:

vova

Veteran
TDI
2006 jetta tdi
I still need to make it over to put in my clutch. Been driving around it in my trunk for 3-weeks.
Too busy with work:(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was good to see Matt in his new shop today, looking very content... not having to schlep 400 pounds of tools around in the back of the car everyday makes a man smile!
We went over my car, and determined that I'm going to get a new Borg-Warner turbo real soon now. :cool:
I highly recommend the BW replacement turbo on the Mk4 ALH. We have one and it's been great! I think Matt installed it, too. :cool:

deegingerkid

TDI
So, allow me to be the first to say that we've been humbled by the number of NEW customers that have come by. Business is finally starting to pick up in earnest, not just in fits and starts. Matt is more or less BOOKED for the next 2 weeks, but if your hours are flexible, we may be able to fit you in somewheres.

Thanks again for all your support TDIclub...and keep spreading the word about where we are! <3

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So, allow me to be the first to say that we've been humbled by the number of NEW customers that have come by. Business is finally starting to pick up in earnest, not just in fits and starts. Matt is more or less BOOKED for the next 2 weeks, but if your hours are flexible, we may be able to fit you in somewheres.

Thanks again for all your support TDIclub...and keep spreading the word about where we are! <3
That's great news! Happy to hear that things are going well. :cool:

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Matt just slipped in a BV39 Turbo for my Golf, it was a pleasure watching him work - nothing like having a proper lift to spare arms and neck muscles from strange contortions. We did a new 3.0 MAP and Malone tune, too. I logged block 011 today, and all looks good. Though it turns out my Bosch 0.205 injectors are now a tad anemic, so there's one more mod left to do... DLC1019's from DBW LLC! :cool:

Bottom line, glad Matt is working locally in his own shop, and keeping busy. This is good for all of us.

Oh, and I spied an old stranger at the end of the day... :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That BV39 turbo is great on an ALH. Matt installed one in our 99.5 Jetta a few years ago and it has been fantastic.

deegingerkid

TDI
That BV39 turbo is great on an ALH. Matt installed one in our 99.5 Jetta a few years ago and it has been fantastic.
It's on the plate as an upgrade for me. First? 11mm pump. Next? Possibly clutch. Then and only then we can play with a bigger turbo.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's on the plate as an upgrade for me. First? 11mm pump. Next? Possibly clutch. Then and only then we can play with a bigger turbo.
The 11mm pump is great. You should definitely do it to your buggy. :cool:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Dee, don't you know that the mechanic's partner's car is the last to get anything? Kind of like "the shoemaker's kids go barefoot". lol

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Dee, don't you know that the mechanic's partner's car is the last to get anything? Kind of like "the shoemaker's kids go barefoot". lol
Her's has received a couple nice upgrades the last year while my poor 05 Passat wagon has gone without a transmission for 2 years now. lol

Too many cars, not enough time and money. Got some herd thinning to do.

Anyone want a 96 Passat sedan with beat up paint?? Drives great! 5 lug suspension and brakes, Bilstein HDs, TT control arm bushings, extra load rear springs, Mk4 shift linkage, completely rebuilt bottom end, new bearings, bored 0.5mm over, DLC520 injectors and a mild tune.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Matt,

U DA MAN!

Driving my Mark III is so much more pleasurable now that you installed that awesome Mark IV shifter!

DUDE, U ROCK!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Matt knows TDI and he is the king of the TDI in Marin county!!!!

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Matt,

U DA MAN!

Driving my Mark III is so much more pleasurable now that you installed that awesome Mark IV shifter!

DUDE, U ROCK!
Tom when are you going to upgrade injectors and a tune in your MK3? it has been 7 years and you still haven't made up your mind LOL

Poor MK3 needs some love you've left it drif and aflot for a long time

Last edited:

Filmshoot

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
Hey matt, welcome to norcal Pm me when u can, I need a pro to help get my tdi running smoothly

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

Filmshoot

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
Hey I'm driving down to Santa Maria the end of this week I was wondering if u know of a vacgcom guru who can get my mk3 afn motor dialed in better while I'm down that way?
Thx

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I live oorth San Luis Obispo County and am looking for a local "guru" who can check out my car and sort of give it a "ost purchase inspection. Someone who knows how these cars (mk4 jetta alh manual trans) are supposed to sound and feel. Anywhere between Paso Robles and Santa Maria would be great!
Anybody have any recommendations?
Thanks Pete

Matt-98AHU

TDI
If anyone has been trying to get ahold of me in the last day, my phone decided to shut itself off and every time I try to turn it on, it just goes into a continuous mode of rebooting and never actually getting to where it's useable.

If you need to get ahold of me, use the email link in my sig. If you need to talk to someone, you can call Diedre for now at 419-819-7733. Email is preferred.

We are on a trip to Portland and will be back at the shop by Tuesday.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Warranty phone arrived today, I haven't been home yet to check voicemails or messages, but Diedre received it and has it setup and running.

Will get back to everyone as soon as I get back home from the shop.

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf ALH 5-sp manual
Bump for Matt. If anyone living in the Bay Area or for that matter Northern California needs TDI help, take your car here! It's worth the drive. Matt fixed a coolant leak and did a brake bleed for me a few weeks ago. It's so great to see Official Matt - there's even paperwork, a lift, and the whole 9 yards.

In the past Matt did a full suspension overhaul, timing belt, and other random, stuff here and there for my ALH all in his driveway. Happy to see a good dude doing good work - hopefully for many years to come. Take your car/project to Matt and bring IPA. You won't be disappointed.

PS - Someone needs to start a Yelp page or help with his online marketing which I'm sure would help the bottom line!