Window tint?

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
I had my windows tinted Monday. I have been wanting to get them tinted since I bought the car, but I finally had the time to get it done Monday afternoon. There was only one place listed in the phone book, so that's where I took it.

It looks good, except when you roll the windows down, the tint doesn't go all the way to the top of the glass. It's only about a 1/8 inch gap and can't be seen with the windows rolled up. I've never had tinted windows before, so is this normal? It is the "stick on" type of tint. Is there any other method of tinting windows, besides factory tinted windows?

The care and cleaning sheet that I got said not to roll the windows down for 36 hours to give the adheasive time to dry. I waited 48 hours to be safe, so I didn't notice the gap until Friday. It also says to wait 30 days before washing the windows, and to only wash it with mild soap and water. The guy washed the windows when he finished, but there are some streaks that are driving me crazy. Is it really necessary to wait 30 days? Sounds like a CYA statement to me so they can void the warranty on it if you come in before 30 days complaining about something.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I have that gap at the top of mine as well. Maybe not quite an 1/8 inch though. It took about a month for all my streaks to disappear. The installer said that the time for that to happen depended a lot on the humidity. Higher humidity = more time for the cloudiness & streaks to disappear. As I recall from my last visit to Mississippi you have a fair amount of humidity (To say the least!) so the time it takes for your tint to completely dry will probably take longer.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Hi

I had my windows tinted and have the same little gap at the top. I think that it is standard. As for streaks wait they will go away. Bubbles however are another story...if you have bubbles let the installer guy smooth them out.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
I went to a place in Little Rock, they used 2 guys on each side of the car. Yep, driver side goes all the way to the top, the other side has about a 1/4 inch gap.
I cleaned the inside streaks about a week after, because I couldn't take it anymore. No problems.