A5 Jetta Locks

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Push the remote button and there are clicks, light on driver door is on solid for a while, then blinks. There is no beep. Can open supposedly locked front passenger door from outside and alarm sounds. Where do I start?

VAGCOM (two faults per door) will post screen shot of codes later.

Drivers door: 00928 locking Module (f220) implausible intermittent signal

00105 signal locking save/lock implausible 008

passenger front door: 01552 motor for central locking intermittent electrical
fault (V57)

00929 locking module (f221) 008 implausible

passenger side rear door: 00931 locking module (f223) 008 implusible.

01554 motors for central locking elec fault 012

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Watch the data in the Central Electronics module for the door positions, closed/open, locked/unlocked. Whichever one is not reading correctly that door's latch is bad. Go through each one individually, as you will not be able to pull all the necessary data blocks up for all four doors all at one time.

You can also check the hood and trunk positions while you are in there, too, as those switches can sometimes mess up, trunk more commonly. But it does not sound like either of those are your problem.

Driver's door harnesses are very common too. They can cause all sorts of strangeness.

At this point, I doubt there are many 2006 Jettas left that have not needed either a driver door latch or a driver door harness... so much so, that I think if I were you I'd just replace them both at the same time and be done with it for a while.

But if you lock the car, and a door does not lock (like it seems your passenger front door is doing), then that door latch is in your case pretty much for sure bad.

The A5's doors are neat, as they have removable skins which makes them great for servicing things in them.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks again, will dig into it some time this week and report back. EDIT:

I sat in the car and locked it. Right side doors reported as unlocked and they were. Left rear door reported as unlocked, but it was locked. Driver door reported as locked and it was locked. Think I will replace all four lock modules and the driver door wiring harness (see implausible signal at bottom of this post). Next question is EBAY junk parts? Dealer $$$$$$$ parts or something in between. Dorman ? Ideas? Thanks again.

VIN: License Plate: 07 JETTA
Mileage: 142087 Repair Order: june `7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. (1K0 959 702 P)

20:29:53
Unlocked Locking Unit (F221) Passenger Door
Door Closed Contact Switch (F3) Passenger Door
Not Installed Key Switch Passenger Door

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 72: Door, Rear Right (1K0 959 704 Q)

20:31:40
Not Oper. WR-Button (E54) Rear Right Door
Not Oper. WR-Button (E55) Driver Door
Unlocked Door Lock Unit Rear Right (F223)
Not Oper. Interior Locking Button (E311)

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (1K0 959 701 P)

20:33:02
Not Oper. WR-Button (E40) Driver Door
Not Oper. WR-Button (E40) Driver Door
Enabled Internal Illumination
Not Installed Interior Door Handle Illumination
Not Installed Ambient Illumination
Locked Locking Unit (F220) Driver Door
Door Closed Contact Switch (F2) Driver Door
Not Oper. Interior Locking Button (E308)
Not Oper. Key Switch Driver Door

Address 62: Door, Rear Left (1K0 959 703 Q)

20:33:50
Not Oper. WR-Button (E52) Rear Left Door
Not Oper. WR-Button (E53) Driver Door
Enabled Internal Illumination
Not Installed Interior Door Handle Illumination
Unlocked Door Lock Unit Rear Left (F222)
Not Oper. Interior Locking Button (E310)

Below are fault codes from driver door.

2 Faults Found:

00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 164
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0

00105 - Signal Central Locking SAVE/LOCK Drivers Side
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Any chance the drivers door harness could be causing all of this? Thinking of pulling the skin tonight and looking for broken wires before I order a harness and multiple locks. Thanks!

oilhammer

TDI
I would address the driver's door first. The updated harness may fix a lot of your problems.

This is the new (installed) and old (in my hand) side by side:

But like I said before, given the age of the car and the fact that they are a common issue, and you are most of the way there anyway, I'd probably go ahead and replace the driver door latch assembly.

Have you ever had the A5's door apart? I do a LOT of them, they are easy.

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks! Never been in there, but I am a B4 expert :D, so this will be easy as you say. Ordering a harness and lock for drivers day today. Will post what happens.

oilhammer

TDI
Well some tips for you:

In addition to all the little T30 screws on the leading edge, hind edge (behind the plastic trim) and lower edge of the door, there is a smaller Torx screw behind the outer door handle. You have to first remove the key part of the door handle by loosening (but not removing) the tiny XZN head screw in a little access hole. Once the key part slides out, then pop off the little cable and slide the outside door handle lever towards the rear of the car and pivot it over and out. You must do this before loosening any of the other door skin screws or you'll run the risk of bending the door skin at the handle and/or breaking the inner handle. I have to school body shops about this frequently. :rolleyes:

I put tape over any spots of the body work where the door skin may want to come in contact with something to preserve the paint finish. Especially down low at the hinge end where it can fall on to the sill plate if you are not careful.

you do not have to mess with the window regulator at all, just run the window UP and leave it there.

Unlike the A4 and B5 cars, where the inner door pull trim has to come out before you pull the window switch trim plate up, on the A5s you pull the trim plate up FIRST, then you can take that little grip out. Try to do it the other way, and you'll break the door panel.

Mark all the harness anchor points before you take anything off, as there are lots of holes, and there are lots of anchor points. It only fits correctly one way, and the new harness goes through the opening between the door and body a little differently. Take your time, take pictures if you need to.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.