Matt Phelan/Matt-98AHU now wrenching in San Anselmo

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hey everyone, just a heads up. The last week my phone has been acting very strangely. Some calls aren't coming through, email notifications aren't coming in at all (but I can check those manually--not a big deal there), texts aren't always showing up in a timely manner, I also had one customer call me up today telling me I mistakenly sent him texts containing alarming major engine issues, but his car is not at all in my possession and is running just fine. My phone shows they went to the right phone number and were even responded to in kind by the intended individual.

Not entirely sure if it's the phone or the network at the moment, so if you need to get ahold of me, email will be the most reliable method, link is in my signature. Will be getting ahold of Verizon and try and see if we can figure out what the cross up is, them or the phone.

Maybe it's finally time I just get a California phone number? Who knows!

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Hey Matt you have any interest in working on my V10? I sent you a email, let me know.
Thanks

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
If I didn't already post this, thumbs up for Matt. Knows his stuff (TDI and gassers), very fair prices, nice guy.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
John, if you haven't done so yet, check out "Farm Burger Marin" just up Sir Francis Drake Blvd from Matt's shop (I walked to it). Fantastic burgers and shakes - very busy at lunch time.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Matt pointed out Farmburgers but we went for Mexican. Good food there too! And a much shorter wait when we went to lunch!

Matt spent 3 hours on my wagon and took care of 3 different issues very promptly. Just wish he was not so darn far away from me! 1100+ mile drive in 25 hours is long!!

I like his new shop - bigger than I had expected for a one man shop.

Next major repair on the Passat is the A/C evaporator replacement. Got to love these 20 year old cars.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Just wish he was not so darn far away from me! 1100+ mile drive in 25 hours is long!!
Yes, but it gives you another opportunity to brag to friends and neighbors about your B4V's ability to cover that distance on one tank...and then shake your head as they fail to appreciate the value of that!

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Just got back from Matt's place. He works wonders, and fixed my nagging issues , and improved upon what I had in mind. All for a fair price.

Thanks Matt. My TDI drives wonderfully, and hope all goes well with you. Will call back for timing belt change and other small issues next year.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Hey all, I've been in Oregon since Saturday, just got back today, flying to Oahu tomorrow, partly to do a timing belt, partly to just relax for a couple days.

I won't be so responsive to calls/messages during this time, I will still try to take a little time out of my day where I can to return messages in the order in which they're received.

I will be back at the shop next week, the 30th... work is already piling up, too.

Once I return from the short vacay I'll likely be back at it 7 days a week until the backlog is cleared out--have been doing exactly that since I got back from another short trip for the 4th of July. Have been at it 7 days a week from then all the way to last Friday (18th). Shifted my schedule earlier, too. Been getting too hot with the late schedule, so I started showing up between 7 and 7:30 (up by a little after 5 to beat the traffic) in the morning.

So yeah, it'll be nice to have a few days off, even if it includes at least one day of work while I'm on Oahu!

Looking forward to being back at it, too, doing my best to keep the local TDIers happy with their cars.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi, Matt! Where were you in Oregon? We drove up to Eugene on Sunday, then to Albany on Monday morning. Watched the eclipse in the parking lot of a diner there where we ate breakfast. By 10:25 A.M. we were on the way home to Oroville. With 2 bio-breaks and dinner at Outback in Chico, we arrived home just before 7:00 P.M.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We left the A3 home this time for the 15-hour bash to Oregon for the eclipse!
I did the same trip last April in the Audi and everyone's butts did not enjoy it!
My daughters and I rented a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek instead.:cool:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Hi, Matt! Where were you in Oregon? We drove up to Eugene on Sunday, then to Albany on Monday morning. Watched the eclipse in the parking lot of a diner there where we ate breakfast. By 10:25 A.M. we were on the way home to Oroville. With 2 bio-breaks and dinner at Outback in Chico, we arrived home just before 7:00 P.M.
My mom just bought a place in coastal Oregon, South of Newport.

It was clear every day in the window the eclipse would be in until the day of, it was fogged in bad.

I poked around on the map and found a park that looked interesting and a bit further inland, unlikely to be too busy. It was called (somewhat appropriately) Moonshine State Park. Pretty little spot on the Siletz river, had a fantastic view, we were only a few seconds shy of 2 minutes of totality there. Would have been only about 40 seconds of totality where we were South of Newport.

Pretty amazing experience!

Back from Hawai'i, sunburned, but had fun. Rented a convertible Mustang GT for a day, did some snorkeling, swimming and otherwise just a chill time. Had a few Mai Tais.

Back to it. Probably 7 days a week for a couple months to get some big projects done and hopefully finally get the parking situation cleared up some. Even working today (Labor day). Figure I already had my fun time off recently. At least I could have a day without traffic to and from the shop thanks to the holiday.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Hi Matt,sent u a email regarding my recent turbo going DOA on Friday. I'm liking the idea of upgrading to a VNT 17. Hope things are going good...which it seems like..thank..Josh

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Matt is. He's still wrenching the same place in San Anselmo and still a ridiculous bargain for this area.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL. If he is, hope he's on a raft with a beer in each hand.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Shout out and thanks to Matt for handling a walk-in check on my Golf today for odd sound with my engine, and seeing what I had missed, that the alternator belt was self-destructing and the alternator pulley was frozen... our Bay Area TDI community is lucky to have him here!

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hey all. Matt is still wrenching away. The landlord got REALLY picky about some cars hanging out too long, so he's stuck working on said project until it's done. Plus she's trying to sell the building. If you've tried to inquire about work getting done and haven't gotten a reply, that's likely why. We fit the occasional job in on the weekends. Please be patient with us! <3

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Propel Newsletter

Just received the Nov 2018 issue and there is a short statement by our own Matt Phelan on Propel Diesel HPR!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Just received the Nov 2018 issue and there is a short statement by our own Matt Phelan on Propel Diesel HPR!
Hah! Just saw that too! Well done Matt. Hope business is going well for you.

TDIMK4GUY

TDI
02 reflex silver golf
Does Matt do weekend appointments? I’ve got a no start with quantity adjuster code issue on my 02 Golf. Sadly I’m only off weekends.