VW OEM Front Window Wind Deflectors

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Just discovered today that VW offers wind deflectors for the front windows under their own part number. Not sure what the price is, will check next week.

Wind Deflectors (from 2002 German Accessory Catalog)

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
They do indeed offer them Michael. I left the show room with a set when I bought my y2k Jetta in April 2000. If you leave the window down an inch or so (just so it's even with the deflector, the wind noise is really cut. They also help pull nasty odors
out of the car. They are very simple to install and un-install because there is no glue they simply fit in the window track.
Cheers Pete

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Originally posted by Michael Moore:
Wonder if de Havilland makes them for a Twin Otter, so that you don't get all that noise when you're cruising along and having a smoke...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That didn't look like a twin otter you were sittin in ... they don't have glass cockpits.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I was wondering if that's what you flew...

Saw a couple of really cool Twin Otters on floats in Victoria BC about five years ago.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Wonder if de Havilland makes them for a Twin Otter, so that you don't get all that noise when you're cruising along and having a smoke...

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
The cockpit picture was a BD 700, however, I spent a lot of my life driving a DHC-6. Can't smoke in the BD-700, big placard right on the front panel. At least you got an ashtray with a DHC-6. Must be cost-cutting at Bombardier...

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
You want noise!!!... Try cracking the window on CL-415. It's part of the smoke evacuation drill. I have to turn off the intercom feature on the RMU. it's so loud it overcomes the noise cancelling feature on my Koss Anyway smokings a BIG no no now.
I've had a glass flight deck for 4 years now, they sure cut the work load, makes me wonder how I managed before.
Cheers Pete

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I love it - you're flying a water bomber, putting out forest fires, spending Gawd knows how many hours a day in an environment full of smoke (from the forest fire), yet the MNR will probably fire on the spot any driver that dares seek the soothing comfort of a cigarette halfway through a 16 hour plus duty day.

Now you know why I left Canada, I just can't put up with that PC ****. Africa - I love it. Light up a Player's under the wing while they're refulling if you want, no-one bothers with the little details when everyone's starving. Mind you, there are other hazards, like getting shot down, but that's another story altogether.

Did you know Bob Grant? I had dinner with him in Zurich Wednesday.

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I know Robert S, say hi for me will ya?
Are you guys crewing together on a DHC6?
I looked up the price of the window deflectors in an old Drivers Gear from 2000, the price was $68 Cn a set.
Africa sounds interesting Micheal ... watch your 6 and stay safe.
Cheers Pete

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
OK Micheal,
I haven't been on the Twin Otters since the mid to late 80's ( 87 was the last year I logged on em), but I used to loved going to FSI in Downsview and flying the sim. The training I received from them was 2nd to none.
It sure is a small world , and we both like diesel Vdubs too. LOL

Cheers

Pete

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Pete:

No, I have never flown with him, but I trained him (along with all the other MNR DHC-6 pilots) in the mid '90's when I was at FSI CYYZ, and then I hired him about two years ago when I was doing crew recruiting and training for a Swiss operator. Did a checkride for him a while back, I'm a DFTE here. He's a really nice guy, funny to be with, great pilot, good writer also.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Found 'em in the Driver Gear catalog. Prices shown are Canadian dollars, multiply by 0.6 for USD.

Side Window Air Deflectors - North American catalog

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Still need to find them for the Twin Otter, though - the wind noise is so bad that this poor driver needs to wear hearing protection when flying with the window open...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Email them and ask. It may be that they left it off their web page.

At least those of us with 4 doors on the cars can get them for all 4 doors (unlike VW) from that source. Also available from JCWhitney and other fine locations.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I ordered the two front window air deflectors for my 2002 Golf (4 door version) from my dealer in Canada. The deflectors were pretty easy to install, and do a good job. Only caution I would give to anyone planning to get them is to be sure to allow the deflectors to warm up to room temperature before attempting to install them - the plastic used is brittle at cold temperatures. Below is a photo of the part number:

Part Number for Front Window Air Deflectors for A4 Golf (4 door version)