Possible Mechanic/Dealer Scam?

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
P0401 does equal new DPF and EGR filter if there is sooting on the exhaust. Cost should be about 1/3rd the 6000 dollar quote.

I started a thread on this in the MKVI forum

The $6000 price tag from the dealer is correct for an '09 with the one-piece DPF/CAT.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Yes, reading comprehension is indeed a problem on all Internet forums.

The federal emissions equipmant warranty is 8 years/80k miles: http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf
Where you pointing this out for a post earlier in the 3yr thread? I'm not sure where you're going with that but thanks, I think, for reiterating the fact that some people hoped for warranty work and were wrong.

P0401 does equal new DPF and EGR filter if there is sooting on the exhaust. Cost should be about 1/3rd the 6000 dollar quote.
I started a thread on this in the MKVI forum
The $6000 price tag from the dealer is correct for an '09 with the one-piece DPF/CAT.
I'll keep an eye on it, I actually didn't have to drive much today but don't notice any soot on my tailpipe. I may check the ash levels and see what they look like. I'm ok with doing the delete but will save the money for now if this was just an intermittent (like so many codes are) today.

Thanks guys!

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Ugh! I didn't notice the 2009 .. Yep .. Its the right price.. Unfortunately the ash levels aren't going to show you the cracking of the DPF. You will see black soot on your exhaust pipes (they should be clean) If you pull the EGR canister, it will be clogged with soot. The code may clear its self but the only true fix is to replace the DPF and EGR canister. The good news is you can pick up a previously owned two piece DPF for next to nothing on here and retrofit it...

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Ugh! I didn't notice the 2009 .. Yep .. Its the right price.. Unfortunately the ash levels aren't going to show you the cracking of the DPF. You will see black soot on your exhaust pipes (they should be clean) If you pull the EGR canister, it will be clogged with soot. The code may clear its self but the only true fix is to replace the DPF and EGR canister. The good news is you can pick up a previously owned two piece DPF for next to nothing on here and retrofit it...
No worries at all man! I actually did the "finger test" on the exhaust ends and well, the test failed. Lol So I'm gonna get things in order for the "replacement" of the failing parts. I'm not going to stress over it though, just know that I need to do it for sure now. :)

Thanks for the feedback though. I was just surprised that no one had posted the actual VCDS code that was linked to that generic code so I resurrected this thing. Ha ha