Just had my HPFP replaced at 77K, now what?

posey

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Audi USA just took care of my dead 2011 A3 in 4 days with no questions asked besides 'did you fill it with gas'? 0 out of pocket and a loaner from the dealer. I've got a 1 year 12K mile warranty on the work. My car has 77K miles on it, so I'm past the powertrain warranty.

I was looking at the service receipt, I saw a mention on here about part numbers ending in X being remanufactured parts? Looks like I got reman injectors. Anything to worry about?

The dealer hasn't touched my car since the 5K service, but I didn't really have a choice here. Anything I should watch out for that was disturbed by the pumps/fuel system replacement? So far the car is running great, the fuel economy appears to be where it was before. Seems like the idle is high, but I'm not certain. Anyone know what RPM it's supposed to idle at?

I can't decide if I should keep the car and take my chances, or sell it and get something more reliable. I don't have the cash for $$$ repairs, I've got a great Audi mechanic from a recommendation here but I don't want to be responsible for sending his kids to college.

I love driving the car and I'm a diesel fan, but I need something that will likely run for 10 years if I stay on top of the maintenance. I don't want to worry about needing a turbo or the dsg, along with the HPFP.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Honda Civic?

In all honesty, use an additive if you are concerned about fuel quality.

Just drive it.

Last edited:

posey

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I picture myself asleep at the wheel in a civic.

Guess I shouldn't expect any other response from a tdi forum. :)

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I picture myself asleep at the wheel in a civic.
Guess I shouldn't expect any other response from a tdi forum. :)
This is unfortunately an issue all CR owners seem to face...It has not been proven that additives help, but I do run one every tank as well. I'm on the waiting list for 2micron setup, but that list takes some time! Info here, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803 this will not prevent the issue from happening, to saves the rest of the fuel system when this does. If I cannot get a setup within 15k miles (how much warranty I have)....I will be looking at the new Colorado diesel when they launch next year.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
^if you're talking about your 60k powertrain warranty, then audi is taking care of hpfp failures well past that.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
^if you're talking about your 60k powertrain warranty, then audi is taking care of hpfp failures well past that.
And one day that "goodwill" is gone, its a manufacturing issue that VAG will not correct.

raitchison

TDI
2013 A3
What is the manufacturing issue?
The theory is that the HPFP is designed for European spec diesel fuel which has better minimum lubricity standards than what we have in the U.S.

I don't know if I believe it but then again I put in DFA in every tank because I figure it's cheap insurance for a car I'm planning to keep for a long time.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The theory is that the HPFP is designed for European spec diesel fuel which has better minimum lubricity standards than what we have in the U.S.

It's not a theory....it's a fact.

US diesel fuel has lower lubricity properties than European diesel.
Fuel companies use 'additive packages' in diesel fuel but won't disclose it's composition.

If you feel this is a problem then use a lubricity additive.
I do as well as many others here on the Forum.
It's insurance.