New A3 launch party

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
So, I get a postcard in the mail from my dealer inviting me to the new A3 sedan launch "event" last evening. So I went and took the new sedan for a ride. Of course, the TDI version won't be available until next year as a 2016 model, but I wanted to get a look at the car and see if it was something I could see myself driving in. My impressions:

-Gas cars suck. Sure, this car with the 2.0 turbo has some HP and torque, but you really have to put your foot into it to get to it. It's not like the TDI torque, which just seems to be available, like, immediately. I don't know that I'll ever be able to go back to driving a gas car again.

-I still don't like AWD cars. Not only do I think it's a fuel waster and makes a car more expensive to maintain by adding all those extra moving parts, but it's obnoxious to drive. I kept feeling the left front wheel slipping/spinning/grabbing for traction (on the same test drive road that I took my 2014 Jetta TDI on before I bought it.) The FWD Jetta doesn't do that. Ever.

-The A3 is definitely going for the sporty look and feel. It's smaller than the Jetta, I almost want to use the word cramped inside. I just don't see it being as versatile and useful as the Jetta. Nice fun car, but not a daily driver, IMO.

The dealer seemed to think that Audi will be putting the TDI into not only the A3 next year, but also the A4 (which I think many of us would be digging,) and also the Q3. He also believed (and I think this might be pie in the sky) that hybrids will be dominating (gas/electric and diesel/electric,) to the point that "cars will be getting such good mileage that gas stations will be going out of business." I'm personally not holding my breath for that one. So we'll see what Audi dishes up for us in the next few years.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
Is there an official release date for the A-3 TDI sedan? My dealer said in about 4 months, but that's not what is said above.
Will it be 2WD, 4WD or both?
I'd be interested in a TDI mild hybrid (e.g., able to do on/off at stoplights). Any idea when that might be coming in A-3 or A-4

akio

TDI
2004 PD Jetta Wagon
I've been looking at getting a convertible for Xmas and have been eyeing this, along with the TDI Beetle convertible for 2015. The two strikes against are the lack of a manual and the price point. For the price of a bare bones A3 I can get a fully loaded TDI Beetle vert. I'm not totally on board with the new TDI engine on the Beetle (or the cramped trunk), but the more I read about the A3, the more I keep coming back to the Beetle.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Had the new A3 as a loaner the other day. I have to say I wasn't impressed. Cheap plastic interior was a let down. The electronics for the radio/nav were over the top in my opinion. Brakes seemed overly touchy upon application but they did stop well. The nicest part of the car was the 2.0 motor...very peppy and I thought it was responsive.

Overall it was like driving a Honda or any other non-specific and non-inspiring car. Once I got mine back I was much happier. I would never see myself buying one.

adoinmo

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Tech Pack 6MT
I would 100% buy a new A3 TDI with a 6MT...but they don't import a bolt-action for the USA so I'll continue to buy a new Golf TDI 6MT every two years and save about 5K each time!